So with all the talk of the possibility of a stadium..

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Tigereye, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    Aramark ROBBER BARONS. Had my percentages turned around.

So that means the 5 Star gestapo is getting $4.20 on my $7 beer. :mad:

Build our SSS, don't even consider Aramark, and give the Dynamo the big cut.
    With the new out-of-cap international rule, maybe we can have a "Drink Beer for Beckham" campaign. :D

2. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX

LOL! I'll drink to that.

3. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I spoke to some people at Pearland ISD about a new stadium for the Dynamo and they did not anything about it so I think is just hot air about coming to the Pearland area.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Just because they didn't tell you about it doesn't mean it's all hot air, the people you talked to may not know about it, they may know about it but aren't saying anything (normal when people are negotiating things), or the team could have talked to somebody other than PISD like the city.

5. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--

Not trying to get in the middle of your spat with Dynamo_Joe or be a UH "apologist", but just because you haven't seen grid-iron lines at the HDC doesn't mean there hasn't been any.

I'm pretty sure I've seen football lines at HDC before, as well as PHP and Crew Stadium too. Heck, I've even seen hashmarks at a Pumas UNAM game at Estadio Olimpico (crazy Mexican college football league stuff).

You're 100% correct about RFK, that's a shared baseball/soccer stadium.

I would venture to guess that when, not if, Houston Dynamo gets their own SSS, there will be some high school football hashmarks or lacrosse markings on it from time to time as stadium officials look for additional revenue sources. I'm surprised we haven't seen any at Toyota Park yet (though I hear TP is working on a deal with our local professional lacrosse club).

6. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Feel free to join in, the more the merrier. :D

I figured there had been, but my point still stands. I have never seen them. And in the end that's all that really matters.

I'm sure there will be, but at least we'll have a say over when they show up (ie not during the playoffs) and how much is marked up (no conference logos or names in the end zone).

7. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big fan of Aramark, but let's be fair. They provide all the food and labor for the concession stands - I don't think 60% of their profits is asking too much when they have to pay all those cashiers and other workers on top of providing all the food, machinery, and clean-up.

I don't think we should let Aramark run the concessions at our SSS (or 5star for that matter), but the important thing is that even if we did, we'd be getting at least 40% of concessions instead of only 20% and 100% of parking.

They had to set all this up in such a rush that the only thing they could do on short notice is contract with services that UH probably already had affiliations with. At Robertson, our hands are tied. A SSS frees us to make decisions that are best for the Dynamo without regard for what's best for UH.

8. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    Open it up to a competitive bid...the Aramark lock in this town smells like KBR/DC. Or independent leasing of concession space. Even with all the overhead, there are a lot of bars (with overhead) in this town that somehow squeeze a profit out of less than $4.20 per draft beer.

I'm with you on the SSS. If I'm going to overpay on concessions, I want to feel good about that money primarily going to the organization that I support.

9. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Any chance at all that Robertson ever hosts an MLS Cup or MLS All-Star Game?

10. av8tor

av8tor New Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Fuera del pais
    Zip, zilch, zero, and jamas nunca.

11. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Wachoo talkin' 'bout Willis? Everyhome game at Robertson IS an All-Star game! :D

12. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    Figopimp, you might change your signature to :
    we painted Frisco orange ....

13. FigoTX

FigoTX Member

Feb 15, 2006
    H-town, TX
    Done! Kind of...thank you Frisco!

14. schwabe13

schwabe13 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    in the best MLS town
    and that will remind the Dallas FC fans FOR EVER , that their house isn't their house !!!

we came ..and took it !!
    :p ;)

PS : most of their fans will now relocate to Houston ..hehehehhe

15. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Here is something I heard today from some sources in Pearland. It looks like a site for the new stadium is Beltway 8 and 288 area maybe nothing confirm yet but its looking good.

16. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rickker is a prophet. Heed his words.

17. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we flushed the toilets like 50 times each and turned all the lights before we left. Ahhhhh, it's nice having a second home to kick back in occasionally. :p

18. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

B8 & 288? That's farther than I'd like....still within the belt but.....still....:(

19. Dynamo Dave

Dynamo Dave Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Rural East Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been hearing the same stuff.Was hoping it was a nightmare.:eek: We'll have to fight off the gators at the tailgates. Land certainly should be swamp cheap!. Which will mean ticket prices should be kept in check. That's the best I can make of this.So far.:p

20. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a good spot for it really. Pretty accessible, downtown view - plus room to do the stadium plus practice fields. I've done design work for the PEDC (Pearland Economic Development Corporation/aka City of Pearland) and they're doing a lot of residential and commercial development in the Southeast corner of 288 & BW8. Here's their website that I designed/developed for them - click on the Virtual Tour and you can see what's going on around that area as far as development goes. And one thing I know first-hand is that Pearland has money and is definitely looking for commercial development.

I still want it to be built downtown - but if I had to pick an outlying area with plenty of land and easy accessibility from all freeways, 288 @ BW-8 would be it. It's actually only about a 10-15 minute drive from Robertson. Actually the same distance for me - it's just a matter of turning right on 288 instead of left. Close to the south and central parts of the city. Obviously folks from the North and West would have to drive a bit further than they do now, but not much...and 288 is a straight shot into and out of downtown.

I'd be happy with it. Not ideal, but pretty good.

21. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    I'm totally against the stadium being outside of the loop, it should be a centralized location so everyone can get to it easily...

But I was talking to some people about possible stadium location today and the subject of Pearland came up, and I said if they put it just off of 288 and the Beltway that isn't too bad.
    As of right now that area isn't built up and is only 5 minutes from Reliant without traffic... so I guess if they want to use a suburb, that one is the closest to downtown in my opinion.
    If I had to rank outside the loop sites Pearland would be just after Delmar.

But using Sugarland, Katy or the Woodlands would suck. I'm only slightly against Webster because I grew up in League City so I can put up with that drive.

22. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, i think as long as it's inside bw-8 it would be ok.

23. JJxvi

JJxvi Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think this site would exactly be inside bw-8 but very close to it.

I don't think Pearland has any land inside the beltway.

25. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Pass the beltway on left and right side is Pearland. there is alot of land on the right side.