So who won the semi-final? [R]

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by empennage, Sep 11, 2002.

1. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Who won, KC or Columbus?

2. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nevermind, I answered my own question. The Crew won 3-2 in OT. Sounds like it was an exciting game.

3. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wondering the same thing. I can't find out anywhere. I've checked the websites for both teams and the MLS site.

4. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link?

5. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind. I found a link a match report at http://www.thecrew.com. It wasn't up there yet last time I checked. Sounds like it was a good game. I wish I got FSW.

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VERY exciting game. Well, the first 60 minutes pretty terrible but then it really picked up.

A lot of wild coaching decisions, which ended up working out with Andrulis, and not so much for Gansler (obviously).

Buddle is an absolute handful, already much better than the majority of MLS defenders.

7. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Poetic Justice

KC is out! As a Rhino fan, I am very pleased with the result.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the first 62 minutes was as bad an MLS game as I have seen in recent memory. I lost count of how many balls were kicked out of bounds.

But this is why I love soccer. After KC scored their 2nd goal, the game cam alive and the lst 40 minutes were damned entertaining.

That Buddle kid is a handful.

Funny how those subs went. Gansler went to defense, Andrulis put in some offense and offense won the day.

Damn great game.

9. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    A shame FoxSportsWorld isn't available everywhere....

Painful result, as I thought KC had the win in the bag. Obviously, our defensive substitutions hurt us in the end, as we had to go into extra time with fewer attacking options.

On the game-winning goal in extra time, Buddle brought the ball to the right side of the goal and took a shot which rebounded off Meola toward the endline. Buddle collected the ball, which looked like it went over the end line, and passed it center near the penalty spot, where Perez knocked it home. Meola was right on the line with Buddle and had a better look at it than the TV camera angle presented, so I guess Meola would have been screaming had he thought it was out...

Also, I thought the minute 2 own goal attributed to McCarty was harsh; really wasn't much he could have done about it since Fabbro's shot bounced off the keeper, ricocheted off McCarty and hit the back of the net in less than a second. Should have been credited to Fabbro, but ultimately didn't matter.

An exciting game, but a heart-wrenching result. Despite Columbus handing us the loss, I hope they beat the Galaxy in the final. Props to the Crew.

10. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I watched the game and for much of it, I'm saying to myself, this tournament is such a waste. Here they are playing in Columbus, the best stadium with among the best fans in MLS, and there's no one there! Why bother?!!!

But then, when Columbus came alive, the rest of the match was something. Both teams were so into it. Talk about passion!

The entire Crew bench was standing and going nuts for the rest of the match after that first goal.

And that move by Buddle was highlight film stuff. He's got some serious talent.

The last 30 and the Extra Time were just great to watch.

So I guess there's a place for this tournament. It's just too bad they can't publicize it more. The final should be great. Hopefully someone will show up to watch because it should be a great match.

11. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tell ya, two big problems with USOC matches...

1) Why are they always on Tuesdays or Thursdays? Those are high school soccer nights in central Ohio, and if you look at the Crew's fan base you are going to find a large number of high school players, coaches, and parents.

2) ZERO publicity. The USSF is awful at promoting matches here. They should just hand the entire production over to the Crew, because if there is one thing the Crew front office does well, it's get butts in seats. We've got a number of fans here, but if they don't know about the match they sure as hell won't show up.

I hope for a big turnout, but I'm a bit pessimistic for the two reasons above, and an additional reason: the final is in the middle of the American Quarterhorse Congress at the state fairgrounds (where the stadium parking is), and it's a huge deal. People come from all over the country. The traffic will be horrendous, and that might scare some people off. Hopefully the fact that it's a final with the Crew playing for hardware will offset the lack of publicity and traffic scare.

12. Les_Philling

Les_Philling New Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Ohio
    As one of the few in attendance, it did look like the Crew as a team was disappointed in the attendance. I was wondering about an half hour before the match started if the attendance was going to break 100.

During the first half, there wasn't a whole lot to cheer about, but the Northend Knotheads did a good job of hounding Meola.

Once the first goal for the Crew was scored, the stadium came alive! It was one of the most exciting comebacks that I had ever seen, complete with a pitch invasion by a few fans at the end.

Hopefully, the final will be widely advertised and there can be more people there than the last Open Cup final in CCS. Buck-a-Brat baby, that will get them in!

13. OBartleby

OBartleby New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    Kansas City, MO
    Yes, empty stadiums look (and sound!) especially empty on TV. I imagine it was much like a CONCACAF Champions Cup match at Arrowhead on a Wednesday night, where if it weren't for the music blasting over the stadium sound system, you could count the number of crickets chirping....

I think I recall hearing some kinda chant about the NY Jets directed at Ham-hock's way. It got a chuckle out of me!

A pitch invasion! Good thing there weren't any Cardiff fans about....

Hey, if they have Buck-a-Brat night for the final, I'm making a road trip!

14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Meola head was facing the other way when the ball was "over the endline" (if in fact it was) because of the contact on the play. I think he thought it had gone out, which helped Buddle have the split second he needed to hit JWP for the shot.

Buddle looked only an improved first touch away from being a major stud.

15. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
    just got done watching th ereplay on FSW. the ball was not over the line. and i was at the match and was biting my finger nails the entire match. oh and drinking "water and hops"