So where's the rest of the pre-season polls?

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by pacsoccer, Jul 28, 2002.

1. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  2. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Mid Continent Conference

Oakland picked to repeat in Mid-Con preseason Women’s Soccer poll

Code:
    [font=courier]1. Oakland (5) -      5
    2. Oral Roberts (1) - 9
    3. Valparaiso -      13
    4. IUPUI -           19
    5. Western Illinois  20
    6. Southern Utah -   24
    (First place votes in parentheses)
    [/font]

This is the conference that has IUPUI. The school actually wants to be called that.

Why?

3. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    Missouri Valley

Illinois State Tabbed as Preseason Favorite

Code:
    [font=courier]   Team             Points 
    1. Illinois State (7) 63 
    2. Evansville (1)     54 
    3. Creighton          51 
    4. SMS                40 
    5. Drury              26 
    6. Indiana State      24 
    7. Drake              17 
    8. UNI                14
    [/font]

4. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    The NAIA Preseason top 25
    from the NSCAA

The top 10:
    Code:
    [font=courier]1 Westmont (Calif.) 19-4-0     
    2 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 20-4-2    
    3 Azusa Pacific (Calif.) 17-1-1    
    4 Lindenwood (Mo.) 20-4-2    
    5 Concordia (Ore.) 20-4-0    
    6 Union (Ky.) 15-1-2    
    7 Simon Fraser (British Columbia) 9-5-1    
    8 Belhaven (Miss.) 17-2-1    
    9 Berry (Ga.) 20-3-0    
    10 Embry-Riddle (Fla.) 16-3-0
    [/font]
    Last year's "Cinderella" begins the year ranked #1.

5. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    NSCAA Preseason Top 25

1 Santa Clara University
    2 University of North Carolina
    3 UCLA
    4 University of Portland
    5 Texas A&M University
    6 University of Virginia
    7 University of Notre Dame
    8 Penn State University
    9 University of Connecticut
    10 University of Nebraska
    10 University of Texas
    12 Stanford University
    13 University of Florida
    14 Clemson University
    15 University of California
    16 St. Mary's College
    17 Florida State University
    18 University of Michigan
    19 Rutgers University
    20 University of Tennessee
    21 Dartmouth College
    22 University of Washington
    23 University of Illinois
    24 Southern Methodist University
    25 West Virginia University
    25 University of Georgia
    25 Pepperdine University

6. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    rankings

These are pretty legit. They are voted on by coaches so they are more thorough. Cal and Washington should be strong this year. It is Laura Shott's senior year for Cal and the addition of Fuller from Duke should help. Washington returns there entire team less one contributor. They also get there best defender back from a redshirt year.

Michigan is big ten charity. The most underachieving team in the nation. They can only beat the big ten teams. Sad state of affairs there.

Does anyone know why cal's goalkeeper left? Mallory Moser is her name I believe. She was the returning starter...would have been a sophomore.

7. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    Some pretty big discrepancies between the Soccer Buzz and NSCAA polls, even at the top. Texas A&M, UConn, and Nebraska in particular.

Any thoughts on these teams?

8. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Goatboy I had the exact same thoughts. Seems as though some teams are riding their successful past but it remains to be seen if they can deliver.

Nebraska still has latham and is the most aggressive style in the country with 4 forwards. But they did not impress last year. UConn is a total mystery to me. But Len has been successful for a long time so maybe he can take a bunch of little known recruits and make them big timers.

A&M lost Thrasher and a bunch of other seniors. I dont see them being anywhere near the team of last year. But they did put it on Texas ( 6-0) and keep their never lost to Texas string intact. It wont be six nil again but until Texas shows they can beat em, they just own em!

9. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

Apr 1, 2001
    Austin
    I tend to agree that A&M won't be nearly as good this year, although they have experience winning big games that Texas lacks. IMHO, Texas has easily the most talent in the Big 12, returning all starters from last year (except GK Wilkerson from injury). Plus some promising newcomers: Julie Gailey and Mia Moody were impressive in last night's exhibition. (A subject for another thread.)

And that Kelly Wilson girl is pretty good too.

My Big 12 prediction would be
    1. Texas
    2. Nebraska
    3. A&M

BTW, this would be a good year for an up-and-comer like Oklahoma or Missouri to upset one of the big three.

10. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    SEC rankings

Coaches Pick Florida to Repeat as SEC Women's Soccer Champion

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thursday, August 22, 2002

Birmingham, Ala. -- Florida was selected as the favorite to claim the 2002 women's soccer title in the Southeastern Conference by the league's 12 head coaches. This marks the eighth consecutive year that the Gators have been tabbed by the coaches to win the title.
    Coming off their sixth straight SEC title in 2001, the Gators earned six first-place votes, topping Tennessee who received three votes and Georgia who earned two. Auburn and Kentucky also each received one vote as SEC Champion.

The Gators were selected as tops in the East with 61 total points (six first-place votes), edging Tennessee's 57 points and five first-place votes. Florida returns seven starters, including All-SEC players Jordan Kellgren and Danielle Murphy.

In the West, Auburn was the clear favorite with 64 points. Auburn returns eight starters from last year's squad, including SEC Freshman of the Year goalkeeper Megan Rivera.

Points were compiled on a 6-5-4-3-2-1 basis for each division, though each coach was not allowed to vote for his of her own team. Each coach also voted for one team as an overall conference champion.

The 2002 season begins August 27, with conference play set to begin September 27. The 2002 SEC Tournament will be held November 7-10 in Oxford, Miss.

Preseason Coaches' Poll
    (First-Place Votes in Parentheses)

SEC Champion: Florida (5); Tennessee (3); Georgia (2); Auburn (1); Kentucky (1)

2001 Results
    Team Pts. SEC Pct. Overall Pct.

Eastern Division
    Florida (6) 61 8-1 .889 21-4-1 .827
    Tennessee (5) 57 7-2 .778 11-6-1 .639
    Georgia (1) 45 7-2 .778 13-6-1 .675
    Kentucky 39 5-4 .556 12-8-1 .595
    Vanderbilt 24 4-5 .444 7-10-0 .412
    South Carolina 20 2-6-1 .278 8-7-3 .611

Western Division
    Auburn (10) 64 5-4 .556 11-8-1 .575
    Miss. State (1) 52 5-4 .556 13-8-0 .619
    Ole Miss (1) 48 4-5 .444 10-10-1 .500
    Arkansas 38 2-7 .222 6-14-0 .300
    Alabama 26 2-6-1 .278 10-7-1 .583
    LSU 18 1-6-2 .222 7-8-3 .472

11. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    It looks like I was pretty close with my guesses on SEC rankings. I am rooting for Tennessee or Georgia or Auburn because someone else needs to win the title!!! It appears that the winner of the western half is not automatically seeded into second place in the SECs anymore which is good. You could win the SEC west and still be only the 4th or 5th best team in the conference--and get a great draw.
    I remember reading somewhere that it is one of the richest conferences in the country--big $$ to throw behind the soccer programs. For whatever reasons the western side of the group seems to be weaker--not that all of the teams are weak-- but there are always a couple that due to win loss record and strength of schedule seem to pull the whole conference down. It appears that teams on each side have to play most of their SEC games from within that side-with a few crossovers. So if you are on the west you automatically end up with teams that don't help you in 'strength of schedule' rankings, which affects your ranking overall. I wonder why that is--is upgrading a schedule that big a deal? Add one stronger team a year? I don't see the point in playing a bunch of weak teams to get a W record. Obviously not everyone can play UNC every year but there are now many good teams out there. I remember when FSU was at the bottom of the heap--and look at them now--great players, tough schedule and of course the coach.

12. runbabyrun

runbabyrun New Member

Aug 17, 2002
    selfish coaches

The reason coaches schedule soft games is to pad there coaching records and save their jobs (or look to move on). MSU and LSU are very guilty of soft non-conference scheduling.

13. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Well I wasn't going to mention any names but...... I think you might be right!! :)

14. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NSCAA Rankings Come Out

The rest of the NSCAA rankings have finally come out. It looks like the division II rankings are pretty much like the final rankings from last year. And that bothers me a bit. There appears to be quite a bit of eastern US bias in the voting. Why are the other CCAA teams selected so low? Cal Poly Pomona should have been ranked no lower than 4th. After all, 2 of the loses and 1 tie were at the hands of the national champion UCSD Tritons...

http://www.nscaa.com/scripts/runisa.dll?m2.131534:gp:544011:14028+rank/W/NCAA/2002/Preseason/D1

http://www.nscaa.com/scripts/runisa.dll?m2.131534:gp:544011:14028+rank/W/NCAA/2002/Preseason/D2

http://www.nscaa.com/scripts/runisa.dll?m2.131534:gp:544011:14028+rank/W/NCAA/2002/Preseason/D3

15. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
  16. XYZ

XYZ New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Big Cat Country
    I believe Cal Poly was 4th in the final 2001 Jones rating - but that is not a poll. If it were a poll I doubt Cal Poly would rank that high. Polls tend to under-value strength of schedule.
    I suspect that many of the voters in that poll don't know who Cal Poly played - all they know about is what their record was.

Polls are like that - and they invariably over-react to losses to good teams.

Cal Poly has it tough having to play UCSD so many times every year. It hurts them in the polls. That's just the natural consequence of being in that conference.

17. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Soccer America Rankings

Soccer America has announced their preseason rankings. The coaches in their poll were not listed. The results show UNC ahead of Portland then Santa Clara. The full list is at socceramerica.com.

1. Carolina
    2. Portland
    3. Santa Clara
    4. Virginia
    5. Texas
    6. Penn State
    7. Stanford
    8. Notre Dame
    9. UCLA
    10. Texas A&M

18. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Soccer Times Poll

Soccer Times adds yet another preseason poll. This one has Santa Clara #1, but its close with UNC receiving 5 first place votes. Soccer Times also reveals its list of voting coaches. The link is:

http://www.soccertimes.com/ncaa/top25/women.htm

This is all alot of fun judging who will be #1 in December. It should be a most competiitve year.

20. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    SoccerTimes has a very good panel of coaches. I would probably put more faith in this poll than the others since the coaches know the players and recruits. I would give SoccerAmerica the next nod since their writers spend a great deal of time visitng with coaches to learn the players. On the other end of the scale is SoccerBuzz...

Did anyone else notice that only 12 first place votes are shown but the panel has 15 members. this could mean 3 coaches did not bother to participate, or it could mean three coaches lanched into flights of fancy on their first place votes. BYU or OSU as national champ!

21. clown91

clown91 New Member

Re: rankings

That's a bit harsh. When was Michigan ever expected to be an elite team? They've only had a team since '94 and they've never been ranked higher than #20. Women's soccer is still top heavy and lacking parity - the teams in the low 20's aren't really expected to contend for a title. They've done alright by getting to the 2nd round of the tournament the last four years.

They are ranked where they are because they start seven seniors, lost only one player from last year that saw any time at all, and are led by a player on the U-21 nats. That probably doesn't mean anything to you, but beating #13 Florida and BYU this weekend should. They won't have arrived as a program until they beat Notre Dame, though.

22. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    They beat BYU too?!!! That's great. Like I said in another post, the rankings this week ought to be very interesting.
    Hey and look at Florida--new in '95 and they win the title. Never say never.