So Cal

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by bostondiesel, Mar 24, 2016.

1. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I don't pretend to know when or why its too late and thats not where anything I say comes from, I'm not sure anyone can really say. These are first hand observations, kids that watch soccer look and play very different, kids that play futsal the same, and is there any substitute for thousands of touches... To my eyes no absolutely not...This is one mans observation...But there is such a "chicken or the egg", or "other stuff" underlying understanding to all of this, reminiscent of the 10,000 hours or Malcolm Gladwell books. Kids that have been exposed to the above three things or other things typically have done so "naturally", it is at least more "organic" to their surroundings.

Is the tv on with a soccer game playing in your house (some houses this all the time) ?

Did your parents\siblings play ? Do they play etc.

How often is a ball kicked in your neighborhood with no other reason but to pass the time and have some "fun"...

Again nothing forced, no homework or must do this....What any of the above "means" in a kids development between 5-9...Is in my opinion probably monumental...Do I care or think that that is somehow set in stone...No. Do I want that to deter anyone. HELL NO....I only want to site the disparity because I think its there and very obvious.

Again here as in other places, you are always looking from a pretty dire perspective....Yes perhaps "student of the game" is not right but what then ?

Kids that are soccer focused or at least engage in the three things I listed....What are they ???? as opposed to other kids ??? Again, I do NOT have expectation....I am saying kids families DO these things. I don't put any expectation anywhere and I think it would be extremely dumb t subject anyone to watching,playing futsal, or doing anything in their free time that they did not WANT to do.

2. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just countering what I see as your rather formulaic and ridge approach/understanding of how kids can or should develop soccer-wise…your kid has, thus far, taken a certain path, and you seem to devalue or dismiss any other paths…watching a lot soccer on TV as an 8 year old is of questionable value in the long-term imo…and lots of future elite 5-9 year old soccer players aren’t playing year around yet…and that’s ok, most are playing basketball in the winter and baseball in the summer, or just being normal kids… plenty of time to specialize and focus on one sport later on…

I agree kids should develop a love of the game, and the elite ones will…but it doesn’t have to happen all at once, right out of the gate, or at the exclusion of everything else…

StrikerMom repped this.
  3. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think there are several things at play here.

1) We (Americans) are used to dictating how athletes are grown. We do it in essentially every sport...except soccer. In this sport, we are forced to follow the rest of the world's model if we want to compete. I've seen how it works in the UK first hand. They have no qualms with telling a 9 year old kid that they will replace him in their Academy if he doesn't continue to progress. We will all have our own thoughts as to the merit of this system, but that is the system against which we are competing, and it generally produces better players than we've been able to produce.

2) Our men's system has historically been deeply fractured. Why are our women the best national team in the world? Several reasons, but one of them is a consistent, roundly recognized path to success - rec > club (hopefully ecnl) > college. We will see what affect the new women's DA has on this. For the dudes? rec > club...then what? DA or stay in my club? College or stay in my MLS academy? Read 10 different articles, you'll get six different opinions. And only recently are we getting any sense of direction from U.S. Soccer...which most times seems to be in disagreement with our rapidly growing, finally successful professional league. The elite player almost never gets elite advice.

3) Fathers who did not grow up in soccer. I'm going to toot my own horn a little here. I grew up in basketball, baseball and golf. My oldest played basketball and baseball until he was about 9. That's when he began to turn down opportunities to play the other sports. "Buddy, it's time for basketball sign-ups." - "Dad, I think I'd rather do indoor soccer." Instead of trying to steer him to a "real sport" (yes, we still hear that term all the time here in the south), I let him do his own thing. How many dads don't let that happen? How many kids who truly love soccer are still splitting their time with a "real sport" at 14 and 15? Or forced to, as happened recently in my community, give up soccer because dad is the local high school football coach and won't stand for it?

Factors like these combine to create a consternation about soccer that simply doesn't exist in other American sports. Basketball? You play rec and then in school, and if you're good you start playing AAU ball at around 10. Everyone accepts this because we see the greatness this system produces. Baseball is the same with Legion ball and other travel teams.

If guys like Jordan Morris can become stars (and as long as there are more behind him who make similar choices), then we can break down problems like 1 and 2 above. 3 is going to take longer.

mwulf67 repped this.
  4. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006

I think this is an issue in itself...These situations are forced on these guys(just a kid who went to school and played soccer and was apparently decent, now gets right or wrond all this baited breadth expectation).... And if he does become a "star" then what...Do we not need a much much larger sampling of Jordan Morris' to begin to start to draw any conclusions....

5. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We do. Note that I said "if" Morris can become a star. But if he does, then you have a star who...

- Cut his teeth in an MLS Academy.
    - Could have stayed in that Academy, but chose college.
    - Could have gone to any number of European clubs, but chose MLS after college.

In other words, a soccer star who was born, bred, and brought to stardom entirely in the United States. And who chose education over instant $. That's a game changer, if and when it happens.

mwulf67 repped this.
  6. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agree totally. What we find is that, because it essentially doubles the time they spend on soccer over Rec, the first two years of Academy (8 and 9) produces three categories of kids...

Kid 1 - "Um, yeah, no thanks. I don't like this enough to put this much time into it." Okay, no sweat. Rec is probably a good choice for you right now. If you decide in the future you want to put more time into it, we will have options for you.

Kid 2 - "Yeah, this is about right. I like it just like this." Great. Sounds like you're a good candidate to graduate to our Classic program. Looking forward to having you for one more year of Academy.

Kid 3 - "Hey coach can we add another night of training? Do you think I could sub in for the other Academy team this weekend too? Hey check this out I saw Neymar do it so I started working on it in the backyard." Dude, you're clearly on fire for the game. Let's see if you still feel that way in August. If you do, we can take the other seven kids who feel the same way and maybe get you involved in some more challenging events.

So we usually start our Classic program with an Open division team comprised mostly of kids from category 3. We fill out the remaining roster spots from category 2 kids who saw what the category 3 kids were doing and realized they wanted in (there are usually 3 or 4 of these). We will generally have a Div II team as well (category 2 kids, with some category 1s who have decided to try again). In my oldest son's case, two kids have moved down to the Div II team from his Open team, one kid has moved up from Div II to Open, and we had one kid playing Rec who went straight to the Open team when we made his family aware that there was some scholarship money available. That's all over the course of just three seasons.

StrikerMom and mwulf67 repped this.
  7. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    If only to challenge your assertion. How entirely different would these be from Dempsey\Donovan ?

I think game changer would be consistent NUMBERS being produced by the MLS Academies. If there was some sort of track record similar to Penn State with running backs THEN I think we could all go to sleep at night,.

8. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Or more to this point in general. WHEN and if things become less fractured. When there is some semblance of trust in a path be it NCAA,US Academies, or what have you, a proven track record would go miles.

ncsoccerdad repped this.
  9. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dempsey was at Fulham before the soccer world began to recognize him. Perception - "he had to be tested in the EPL before he became truly great."

Donovan never went to college, started his career in Europe and eventually went back there on several loans. Perception - "If I want to make it big, I shouldn't waste time in college, and I should get to Europe as fast as I can."

I agree that we will truly be in a good place when our academies (MLS and other USDA) have a track record of producing world class players. But it only takes one to prove it can be done. It only takes one to legitimize the next kid's decision to stay home. It only takes one to change the perception from the things I said above to "hey, Jordan Morris did it that way, I can too."

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    How are MLS academies right now in terms of fees? Do you have to pay? How much?

I heard that you have to pay, but it's far less than independent travelling clubs. I wonder what the dollar numbers would be.

11. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006

chungachanga repped this.
  12. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    This will still exist for Morris and anyone else. I love the MLS but it is a lesser league in every aspect. I think this will be true more so for strikers\creative offensive players. You will still need to migrate to a league of higher standing, I don't like it but I think its a fact, if we are talking "star".. I guess quantify what a star player is ???

13. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "star" = someone American kids look to and say 'I want to be like him/her.'

Why will he have to go to a better league? What if he can have an 11 year career with the Seattle Sounders and make $28 million over the course of that career? Plus another $6 million in endorsement deals? Scores a bunch of goals for the MNT, teams with Pulisic and maybe Miazga and some other guys and takes us to the quarters of a world cup.

The next step is not for us to have a Messi, which, and I'm sorry if this is presumptuous, seems to be where your head is at. Bottom line - we won't have a Messi until we have a world class domestic league. We won't have a world class domestic league until our domestic league is a viable alternative to European leagues. To make that happen, the first order of business is to create a handful of guys like Morris who have a career like I described above.

luftmensch and mwulf67 repped this.
  14. Macchi

Macchi Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I'm not sure bostondiesel is aiming for a Messi? Merely for a clear development channel for boys in this country that can produce consistently and in numbers players that can make it in first divisions in Europe, and therefore allow for a truly competitive national team, perhaps? That's certainly what I spend my precious and limited soccer time worrying about. :(:)

When I forget just how broken the development pathway is on the boys' side, I look at the USMNT over the past few years and wonder how it could be that such a BIG fraction of the players are, as Abby would say, not real Americans (!) That is, why is it that the children of such a small sliver of the American population (GI's, crazy expats with dual citizenship who moved to Europe, etc...) are so over-represented on the skilled side of the national team?

Since our "real American" development system is so broken as to sometimes seem not to exist at all (ok I'm being super harsh!), and with the myriad chicken-and-egg factors we've all discussed holding us back, it seems to me statistically likely that some pockets of the country will move forward faster than others - and as I've said before anyone who wishes to move to those pockets has my full support (I'm sure bostondiesel will be able to finally sleep soundly at night knowing that HA!;))

In terms of stratifying kids at certain ages, not an easy subject and lots of gray areas. There is no doubt in my mind however that the extra passionate, soccer-smarter, harder working kids (even U8s or below) should be allowed to practice together on more advanced group drills (larger and larger rondos, etc...), that the kids who still can't dribble and pass are just not able to participate in yet. Fluidity of movement between layers based on progress or lack thereof has to be in place of course, but at a certain point not stratifying will bore and turn off the advanced kids from the sport.

Great thread, fun conversation!

ncsoccerdad and bostondiesel repped this.
  15. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Yeah so not impossible I guess..And I think this becomes subjective. If its about kids in the US then I would say that is out of my control and whatever the metrics kids consider that is great (if that is money and endorsements)... If he has a prolific MNT career on the level of Dempsey\Donovan with big moments and highlight reels etc. that would be enough to elevate his standing also.

I honestly are more interested in Americans plying their trade in Europe like a Mike Bradley. I want to see us play for the bigger clubs (Miazga,Pulisic,Wood etc)...this league(MLS) is still way too thin on the talent scale(not helping itself short of relegation and expansion)....This is still a glorified retirement league where aging stars don't play on upsetting turf...I just read an article where Omar Gonzalez mentioned not being challenged or threatened for his spot at LA, and where his current team has ridiculous competition for his spot....US players are not used to getting challenged for their spots....Because they are not challenged for their spots...This does not work in a pro league...

Anyway just my two cents.

ncsoccerdad repped this.
  16. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I would just also point out....How many MLS jerseys do you see in your area as opposed to Messi,Neymar???I'm asking seriously because where I live other than AT games (MLS). I usually see US kids wearing the foreign "big names"....

17. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006

And yes...100% I am not even contemplating Messi. I would be soundly happy producing consistent mid level names like Benny Feilhaber in his prime ( not joking here) creative attacking players are in short supply here.

A Messi, Pele, Maradonna will not happen here for quite sometime. Donovan and Dempsey's\Howard this seems to be our wheelhouse which I am fine with.

18. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Perhaps guys even more pertinent to our experiment should be Diego Fagundez...

A person born right here(Bruins season ticket holder)...almost literally right here...OF Uruguayan parents...BUT played "rec" soccer until 14 or something very close...He is still on the Uruguay natty team....

If he somehow gets minutes someday alongside Suarez\Forlan\Cavani ???? Then yes I will be forced to sign my son back up for rec soccer and admit defeat.

19. ncsoccerdad

ncsoccerdad Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Central NC
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    None. But you don't want me answering that question because there's not an MLS club within 6 hours of me. I'm not an accurate representation.

As to the other point, talented Americans will continue to go abroad in great numbers, for sure. But the MLS is quickly becoming a viable option for guys who just don't want to go to Europe.

Admission - this concept really hit home to me recently, on a personal level. My son's club partners with West Ham, and we were invited to train over there for a week. We just got back a couple weeks ago. He was with 10-11 other kids his age. By the end of the week, there were two distinct groups of kids - the "this is great" bunch and the "meh" bunch. Don't get me wrong, we all were treated very well. But some kids responded positively to the lifestyle, food, and general rhythms of the UK, while others did not. My son was firmly in the "meh" category.

Granted, these are 11-12 year old kids, and they might go back in two years and fall head over heels in love with the place. But they also might not. I know from conversations with several of these kids and their parents that the MLS is rapidly becoming a viable alternative in their eyes. To me, this is a huge step. Even five years ago, this wasn't true.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying I was over there with ten future pros. Whether these individual kids will be pros would be pretty stupid of me to speculate. What I'm saying is that these are the types of kids (very talented, very driven), the types of families (positive, willing to commit resources), that will produce our great players. And the MLS isn't a joke to them anymore.

bostondiesel repped this.
  20. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    MLS academies are no charge. That's the European model. The club pays for your training in the hopes that you will develop into an asset for the senior squad (or an asset to be sold to finance further development).

Having said that, plenty of real Development Academy clubs (USSDA) not affiliated with professional clubs are full pay clubs. Some subsidize the DA teams with the non-DA fees, but most DA kids on these clubs pay quite a bit of money.

21. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    It varies depending on the academy. DC United was about $2500 last year. RSL is $56k if you board at their Grande sports facility.
    Carolina Rapids (which is only an affiliate of Colorado) is about $4300.

22. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Ok. To be clear 56k would be a full residential Academy where their school is included? I believe there are 5 or 6 MLS teams with programs like this and I have heard very good things about RSL but I have never heard a dollar amount quoted.

These would be more to add to our "fractured" conversations as IMG, Next Gens and others have their own programs of this kind for people interested. As many of these are very new I'm not sure what varying degree of standards are being applied.

As @ncsoccerdad noted regarding advice. Who is going to tell you from experience ....

23. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    No--as of right now there is no school associated with RSL. They live at Casa Grande and attend one of 2 public choices in the area. There will likely be a school option soon (possibly pushing price up? who knows) Scholarships are available to RSL (unlike IMG).

Philadelphia Union has a school and there is a weekday residency option with volunteer parents living in local homes. The school looks fabulous. All free.
    DC United has a school with residency option but the school is another $20-some-oddK--the school is almost an hour away from training fields, too.
    LA Galaxy has free school at StubHub.

chungachanga and bostondiesel repped this.
  24. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I'm not clear on this with IMG, the bigger names that have been through that system..Did they pay for IMG ? I always got the feeling that they did not...IF so why would players still go to IMG or how would they compete with other programs now?

25. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    I didn't investigate IMG closely because, well, our academy team is way better than IMG, so why even consider sending my kid away from home and possibly paying $65k/year. (Their website says no scholarships)
    I've always assumed kids go to IMG because they don't have a viable academy near them and the family cannot move to get them closer to one.
    My son is older than yours and this is a real concern for us--wanting him to have access to training in the mornings. So we only seriously looked at academies with a school.