So Cal

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by bostondiesel, Mar 24, 2016.

1. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Hello,

I had a general question. I live in the Northeast of the US. My son is very Elite for his age (9). He has played abroad and is presently in an Academy where we live that is very good. We recently visited Southern California (for soccer camps)and I observed that an "average" player is much further along than what I experience here. I have also seen this myself in Texas.

I am considering relocating based on the strength of both Academies\Players in this region.

1. Any advice on the academies that I should look at.

2. Anything else that you may have me consider.

Please base your advice with the "given" that my son is that good (more for the sake of expediency).

Thanks!

2. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'll get the popcorn :whistling:

tuffnut11 and mwulf67 repped this.
  3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Have you considered the amount of pressure you will place on your 9 year old if you uproot your family and move 3000 mile across the country just so he can be a “soccer star?”

Seriously, there is fine line between supporting your kid and wanting the best from them, and treating them like a future meal ticket….and this reeks of the later…

And he’s just 9, which is a good 3-5 years away from puberty…and a lot changes in and around puberty…consider that many elite 9 year olds turn at to be just average 13 year olds (if they don’t burnout altogether), and just as many average 9 year olds become elite at 13 …too many variables to say anything for certain at 9, either way….

By all means, support your son’s talent, passion, and dreams…just not convinced at all that would require a 3000 mile move, regardless of “good” he is…your “observations” aside, there no inherent reason he can’t develop into an elite caliber soccer player in the Northeast….

tuffnut11 and bostondiesel repped this.
  4. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I appreciate this feedback and any feedback of the sort. I am not overly vested, and no meal ticket needed (this would be a real bad one).

If he gets to puberty and wants nothing to do with this, that is fine. If nothing ever comes of any of this that is fine also.

My son has played all over and we will be playing out in So Cal in April, this will be his second trip. I did not say I was moving him tomorrow either.

"there no inherent reason he can’t develop into an elite caliber soccer player in the Northeast…."

I would take some issue with this statement.

1. Northeast lacks good players
    2. Northeast (where I am) lacks soccer first families (completely fine).
    3. Fields,climate, serious coaches and programs from what I stated in 1 and 2.

If my son were a rocket scientist or a dancer I'd go where people are most serious and the resources are there to enable his progress.

I am not moving the family to Moscow, there are worse places to move...but again the world needs more of your criticism and advocacy not less.

5. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    There are people who move with their kids to SoCal for worse reasons. In Hollywood, the kid really does feel like a meal ticket when part of the family is at home in Tennessee and the kid and his/her Mom are staying at the Oakwood extended stay apts near the studios in Burbank so she can shuttle her/him to auditions, lessons etc. So, I'll play along and assume this isn't someone just trying to stir the pot.

There are definite advantages to this area because of the ability to play outdoor soccer year-round (although there's lots of futsal indoor and outdoor too) and because of the large population base of dedicated soccer players and experienced coaches. It doesn't hurt that there are two MLS clubs and academies (although LAFC's just started).

I'm assuming your kid is a 2006 if he's still 9. That's about a year early for the USSDA academy programs, but there are no shortage of them. In addition to the 12 full Academy programs, there are I think 4 new ones that just opened up for U12. Southern California is huge, though, so it really depends upon where you live. If you're you going to relocate to East LA, Total Futbol Academy or Los Angeles United Futbol Academy make the most sense, although FC Golden State in Pasadena is an option if you live further east. If you go to the Sen Fernando Valley, Real SoCal in the West Valley is probably the most established program. Same for Strikers FC in Irvine, although there are plenty of competitors. If you go to the Inland Empire, Arsenal is probably going to be your best bet.

Again, none of these clubs is really better than another for a 9 year-old. You don't need a pathway to Academy at that age because Academy clubs will recruit your kid later if he dominates. At age 9, when most parents are not yet willing to battle traffic to drive 1.5-2 hours each way 3x per week for practices, there are truly elite players all over the region and no one club is clearly dominant in terms of attracting/developing talent. You want stable club leadership, strong coaches, and reliable field access. You probably also want to be very careful about signing up for the branch office of a "name" club. Those are often just money makers to finance the fully-funded older teams of the mother ship. Doesn't mean that they won't have strong kids and coaches, but it's not a pathway to get on the top team.

From a team perspective, you're looking for a Silver Elite or Gold-level Coast Soccer League team or a Flight 1 Southern California Developmental Soccer League team. You could also go Presidio in San Diego, but many of the top clubs there are now sending some or all of their stronger teams to the SCDSL.

bostondiesel repped this.
  6. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Thanks Benny this is great info. My guy is 07, we have a pro team and I have not seen or heard good things about the commitment even at the Academy level where training etc is paid for ( real disconcerting ).

He has played at camps with Brian\Gary Kleiban out your way and I was again very impressed with the base skill set\awareness of players his age.

I presently occasionally drive 2.5 hours for Next Gen training.

7. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    As you may know, Brian Kleiban is now with the Galaxy Academy. He's great, but a 2007 is still going to be a year or so away from even playing up on the LAG teams, which start at U12. I also wouldn't be shocked if Kleiban jumps ship for the new LAFC Academy when they are fully operational. He was at Chivas USA Academy for years and the Galaxy have some people above him who have the former Galaxy player credential, but little else. Having said that, LAFC has adamantly insisted that they should distance themselves from anything Chivas USA, including their former Academy, so that could keep Kleiban at the Galaxy. TFA is the Kleiban's old club, but as far as I know Gary is not working with them. He's not a full-time coach anyway. Still a great program, though, but they've started franchising and seem more focused on expansion than on developing the kids at those new sites. The main TFA teams are outstanding, but the satellite ones are hit or miss.

realed repped this.
  8. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    What are considered " the main TFA teams" ? Do they have squads at my sons age bracket ?

9. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    The "Elite Academy Project" Teams. They are fully-funded and train in East LA and they do have a 2007 age group. Even with the Academy teams, they are often two deep in a single age group, although that wasn't what I meant when I was referring to the "main TFA teams" versus the other teams. I was distinguishing between these Elite Academy Project teams and the top teams at the TFA satellite locations like West LA, Southeast LA, Bakersfield, Inland Empire, San Diego etc. TFA-Orange County already imploded and the West LA one is just a takeover of a local club (FCLA) that was organizationally dysfunctional, but has wealthy families.

10. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If meal ticket doesn’t apply, perhaps thoroughbred does…what exactly are your expectations for your son at this point? A lot of parents, at this point, would likely say college….but for some reason, I feel you are aiming a bit higher than that…

No offense, but everybody says that at this stage of the game, when it’s easy and makes us all sound noble and altruistic…much harder after years of support, commitment and sacrifice, when all you can see is them “throwing away their talent/potential”…this idea that this path we put our kids on is no-pressure and stress-free, is pretty much a lie we tell ourselves; one we hope we never have to face…

Oh, I am sure SoCal is a wonderful place live; I’ve visited several times myself…to me this isn’t about where you are going, but the why…

To be blunt, most people do not make such massive family decisions based on the perceived wants/needs of their 9 year old…it’s a bit hard to wrap my head around…and probably is for a lot of people, I hope you understand this…it’s nothing personal….most families don’t “sacrifice” or “indulge” to this level for their young children…and as Benny alluded to, those that do are not always viewed in the best light…

I have a couple of other considerations/questions…

Do you have a spouse? Do they have a say in this matter?

Do you have other children?

11. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    Between the Eastern and Atlantic DA clubs you have a plethora of options.

To say none of those are a fit is... well, ridiculous.

However that is not the overall point here.

I'll leave it at.

12. tuffnut11

tuffnut11 Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    if his son is on the website of the next gen website with the congrats to so and so the u9 player... blah blah... I have read about him then. NJ was very proud of what this little boy has accomplished thus far... with that being said there are lot of Region 1 players that have come from NJ as well as some NT players... granted I can name the female players more so than the male as my daughter idolizes them!.... so I'm not sure what the rush out of NJ is.

13. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I have a couple of other considerations/questions…

Do you have a spouse? Do they have a say in this matter?

I do. The three of us are a part of any decision.

Do you have other children?

No. Only child.

Guys, a young person playing at a high level (u11 at least which my son plays) are facing promotion\demotion. They are on teams that suddenly leave players behind etc. I would be surprised if they were not aware of the fact that kids are cut etc. the same goes on in Europe. Point being that they are exposed to a degree of pressure already.

Between the Eastern and Atlantic DA clubs you have a plethora of options.

To say none of those are a fit is... well, ridiculous.

However that is not the overall point here.

I'll leave it at.

Do not follow this...If you could explain.

I have read about him then. NJ

We are in Boston...

I don't think High school or NCAA soccer rates. High school soccer is bad soccer, NCAA has not produced much at all. Why not trust in what I have seem with my own eyes.

If a team up here has some talent it is on the backs of maybe three players the rest are hockey\baseball\basketball players along for the ride.

14. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I'm not sure you are not sure what I mean with my DA comment...

Are you saying you are not aware of the DA?

It would seem that you would have exhausted that route already before trucking cross country.

15. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I was more referring to this.

"However that is not the overall point here."

What is the overall point to which you refer ? Have you read my earlier posts? I detail my issues.

16. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    No offense, but everybody says that at this stage of the game, when it’s easy and makes us all sound noble and altruistic…much harder after years of support, commitment and sacrifice, when all you can see is them “throwing away their talent/potential”…this idea that this path we put our kids on is no-pressure and stress-free, is pretty much a lie we tell ourselves; one we hope we never have to face…

Agreed.I do believe that excellent players all over the world have had parents that have advocated for them etc. ?

Does everyone that seeks better for their kid have to be insane?

17. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    If meal ticket doesn’t apply, perhaps thoroughbred does…what exactly are your expectations for your son at this point? A lot of parents, at this point, would likely say college….but for some reason, I feel you are aiming a bit higher than that…

Again, to your earlier point as nothing is guaranteed how could I set ANY expectation. The three of us just have a great time enjoying soccer, we have traveled the world playing and have had tremendous life experiences.

18. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Of course not, we all seek to better our kids…even average players all over the world have had parents that have advocated for them etc….

I don’t think it is insane to move your family to SoCal just so your son can play at a perceived higher level of soccer…I do think its rather indulgent…as in premature, unnecessary, frivolous…

19. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #19 mwulf67, Mar 25, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Is that really an honest answer? Whatever your expectations for you son are, you seem to be trying to convince yourself they can’t be met in the Northeast and would be better met in SoCal…

You've dismissed High School and College soccer...what else does that leave?

20. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    My point is...

I would like to know how of all the DA clubs in your area - or at least closer than traversing across America, do not meet the requirements to move your player further???

I get the climate argument - I don't agree with it because there is a ton that can be obtained from playing on hard surface courts, turf and so on - which DA clubs do all the time - thusly making them year round.
    I would like to know of the all the DA clubs in your area - or at least closer than traversing across America, do not meet the requirements to move your player further?

I get the climate argument - I don't agree with it because there is a ton that can be obtained from playing on hard surface courts, turf and so on - which DA clubs do all the time - thusly making them year round.

21. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I've got a 17 and 10 year old. A lot happens when kids grow - they change interests, new friends and so on. To say that an 8 year old will forgo College ball because they are that good is naive to say the least.

I don't care how good of a player they are... Things change and they always will.

22. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I've got a 17 and 10 year old. A lot happens when kids grow - they change interests, new friends and so on. To say that an 8 year old will forgo College ball because they are that good is naive to say the least.

I don't care how good of a player they are... Things change and they always will.

yes. not sure anyone disagrees with this point.

I am more concerned with things as they are today. Do players, advanced players though young not move based on level of skill ? Can we not think of more than a few US and others ?

Is there not precedent ?

23. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I do think its rather indulgent…as in premature, unnecessary, frivolous…

My perceptions are based on experiencing play on both coasts.

So I guess to both of your arguments. If I have experienced better resources, better coaches, more serious teams and advanced players how would that qualify as "premature,unnecessary, or frivolous.

Or perhaps we just disagree on their being any difference at all.

24. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I need to state for the record. My sons coaches here have been fantastic and I do not feel any of the areas shortcomings are due to lack of goodwill,positive energy etc. Quite the opposite.

The Northeast and perhaps elsewhere lacks quality players,serious players and a general soccer first atmosphere.

Any situation that presents itself as positive then splinters off into five or six versions of itself and dilutes a player pool that had dubious talent to begin.

Too many teams trying to do the right thing and yes everything is great, its great everyone gets an opp to play.

That is all positive, the only thing that suffers is development.

Again I do not blame coaches or the incredible efforts.

As stated my son is in a DA that I am generally happy with here. I just do believe there exists a difference and yes he plays on hard surfaces (futsal etc).

25. bostondiesel

bostondiesel Member

Oct 23, 2006
    I should also say that my dislike of HS and NCAA will remain separate from his choices. If he wants that its his decision when time appropriate. Here though you cannot play both, or it is strongly advised against.