Rumor: Slaven Bilic "front-runner" for USMNT job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We could do a lot worse.

So, it's unlikely it happens.

2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    So you're saying that one guy is employed by a strong footballing country that expects to challenge for the WC and another guy is employed by a middling championship squad that hopes to one day be promoted back to the League. And, the c-ship guy is better? Belgium sure as *hell* wouldn't have hired Steve Bruce. No way, no how.

As far as "go there" I can't hold it against him that he looks like a bloated heart attack waiting to happen? OK.

We would do well to get a "generic" PL manager - especially one that has managed Belgium in the WC (assuming they do well).

I'm not saying Martinez is a great manager. I'm saying he's as or more accomplished a manager as we could hope to get, And, he might have an interest.

Don't lie out your @SS and make it like Martinez is my first choice. If we can get a better manager (Bruce isn't), great. I'm all for it. I'm saying let's don't lose out on a good manager in the dream that Guardiola or Tuchel will come knocking.

Who do you propose we go after?

3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've yet to make a compelling argument to support this contention...

4. OGx3

OGx3 Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Davis, CA USA
    Tuchel would be dreamy. It'll never happen, but I'm giggling like an idiot at the thought of Tuchel coaching the USMNT.

5. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It looks like Everton might sign him up.

Don't hope for much though, USSF will look no further than an MLS coach at the end.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His name ends in a z. There’s a segment of posters that looks at that first.

adi21 repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a stupid thought. I’d be shocked, I mean deeply, deeply shocked, if a foreigner isn’t in the mix.

russ repped this.
  8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Capello is a great coach but he is also very arrogant, I doubt the soccer community here are ready for a monster like that.

A random though;

I can see Capello walking into office, looking at all the garbage we teach our soccer youth and throwing it all into the thrash and telling all of you we need to start from zero, yeah he is that big of a douchbag, he is goin to hurt a lot of soccer snowflakes feelings in this country, I honestly don’t think you guys are ready for that.

When he was at Madrid, he sat Beckham and Fat Ronaldo on the bench...

Sitting Fat Ronaldo is like sitting Maradona or LeBron James, 99.9% of coaches don’t have the cojones to do that, not at Madrid.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #59 LouisianaViking07/09, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    "don't have"

;)

10. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disclaimer - I have known Martinez for years and like him personally. He is actually a smart coach who really knows his tactics. His downfall is in his player management. He has an idea of what his players should be doing, and loses his mind when they do something else. Players eventually tune him out, and then he starts tinkering, and then it spirals downward.

He is better in small doses. So an international gig is probably better for him. But I would not want him close to the US team.

Ironbound, Excellency and russ repped this.
  11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for your perspective. He certainly does come across as a very decent, intelligent guy.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the end is going to be more about who wants to come, not who we want or even who we can afford. If I were a foreign manager, I'd be wary of the offer. It looks like the sort of job where the money is not worth the aggravation.

russ repped this.
  13. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Kinda like when Capello took over England, big pay check, then he realized with those scrubs he was never going to win anything so he left.

What if Capello came here and told mls;

“You have to have pro/rel.”

Well, that would f. things up for everybody here...

Coaches like Capello aren’t a joke and they won’t waste their time either.

Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would he do this? He’s a soccer coach. He’s not going to tell MLS how to do group sales. He’s not going to tell them how to allocate local ticket revenue among MLS teams. He’s not going to tell them how to market MLS Live.

And he’s not going to tell MLS to implement pro/rel. That is for business managers within MLS.

15. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    Again, go away, you prob don’t know who Capello is.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn’t answer the question. Why could Capello care so much about how MLS organizes its business that he made it a precondition for him taking the job? Please outline the connection, because I don’t see it.

17. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Madrid
    United States
    Apr 1, 2017
    Miami
    The real question should be;

Why would Capello, possibly the best coach ever want to work for arrogant pricks like you that won’t listen or aren’t willing to change their failed system?

Capello would be like;

“Hell no, you change your zhit and get it together, I’m not going to waste my time showing Americans how in more than 100 years of football, the long ball and set pieces zhit you use never won a world championship.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, I’m confused...is the problem primitive tactics, or is it the lack of pro/rel?

Also, what would Capello say about Jurgen’s tactics? Bruce f’d up, no doubt, but he didn’t underachieve based on jk’s trajectory.

19. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Certain people have a weakness for looking at US soccer as this pristine canvas on which they will singlehandedly create a global superpower from scratch.

USSF's problem is that they can't find a president who thinks that way, and they can't seem to find a senior team manager who doesn't.

Leave the visions for the suits, line your XI up and play.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It's a very unpleasant situation, coming to a place that needs radical change but that is ruled by a Good Ol' Boys network.

If they get a foreigner it'll be another Klinsmann: a guy who promises a lot but changes as little as possible.

21. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    The Belgian FA has little money. If they had any they would throw down for a legitimate manager because if this team doesn’t make a euro/wc final it will be the biggest waste of talent I can ever remember.

22. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    The coach s that the US should be looking at is Chris Wilder. Now, he may not be interested because Sheffield may get promoted to the prem, but he’s done in last 2+ years is win League 2 with Northampton Town w/ 99 points, win League 1 with Sheffield United with 100 points and he has Sheffield atop the Championsip table after 14 games.

Roblar repped this.
  23. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Dude is 71 and in China. More likely he'd say "thanks for this bucket of money. I don't know these players. Just pass to Landon Donovan."

24. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    I did. I'm going with the guy that is managing a national team that has realistic aspirations to win the World Cup over the guy who is managing a second division team with tons of money and is floundering mid-table.

You didn't read that?

25. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    You've yet to suggest anyone better (other than Bruce, which is a joke).