Sky Blue in 2014

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by RUfan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    quote="holden, post: 29771974, member: 158501"]Yes, Eddy has decided to forgo a professional soccer career in order to play a 2nd season of lacrosse.[/quote]
    Within that release from USC dated Jan 21:

"...Eddy, who also plays on the USC lacrosse team, will compete for the Trojans this spring..."

I have to take it that she had made clear to the NWSL before the draft her desire to finish school and play lacrosse this spring.
    After she learned what SB offered to play, it may be different now but we may have to wait to May or so to learn. No comments by SB about her.

3. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORRISTOWN, N.J. (March 26, 2014) - Sky Blue FC has announced an additional exhibition match to its preseason schedule. The club will face Seton Hall University on Friday, April 4 at Georgian Court University in Lakewood Township, N.J. Kickoff is scheduled at 4:00 p.m. ET.

"We're excited to be able to fit another exhibition match into our preseason schedule," Sky Blue FC technical director and head coach Jim Gabarra said. "Playing Seton Hall will give us another opportunity to compete at a high level and focus on our needs in preparation for the upcoming season."
    The Pirates finished the 2013 season with an overall record of 5-11-2. Despite not making conference playoffs, Seton Hall garnered a program record four All-BIG EAST selections.
    Senior midfielder Ashley Clarke became the fourth Pirate in school history to earn All-BIG EAST First Team honors. Freshman defender Catherine Chukuka, red-shirt senior goalkeeper Jennifer Pettigrew, and senior forward Katie Ritter earned third team selections.
    On Dec. 17, 2013, Seton Hall University Director of Athletics Patrick Lyons announced that Rick Stainton would takeover the helm as head coach of the women's soccer program. He is the third head coach in school history.
    Sky Blue FC will start the 2014 National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) season on the road against FC Kansas City on April 12 at Verizon Wireless Field at Durwood Stadium in Kansas City, Mo. The NJ squad returns home to Yurcak Field in Piscataway, N.J. on April 19 when Sky Blue FC hosts the defending NWSL Champion - Portland Thorns FC.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORRISTOWN, N.J. (April 1, 2014) - Sky Blue FC has announced "Scarlet Knight" will take place on Wednesday, May 7 when the club hosts the Chicago Red Stars at Yurcak Field in Piscataway, NJ.
    The game will be dedicated to Rutgers University students and members of the community. Sky Blue FC has also partnered with Team LeGrand, a fundraising arm for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation, and will honor Eric LeGrand before kickoff at 7:00 p.m. ET.

"We are pleased to be able to dedicate a night to the Rutgers community as our way of saying thank you for supporting Sky Blue FC," SBFC president and general manager Tony Novo said. "Eric LeGrand is truly an inspiration and we are honored to be able to partner with Team LeGrand. He's been a big supporter of the club and we're glad to have the opportunity to show our appreciation by giving back."

As a way to thank Rutgers University for its continued support for Sky Blue FC, RU students can use promo code "RU52" to receive a discounted ticket price of $10. Sky Blue FC will dedicate Section 8 as the "RU Riot Section" for the game.

The code will also activate a $2 donation towards Team LeGrand, which is included in the ticket price.

Team LeGrand's mission is to help individuals living with spinal cord injury and their families by supporting quality of life initiatives as well as emerging therapies that will lead to cures for SCI.
    A majority of Team LeGrand's proceeds go toward funding therapy options as well as pioneering research to find cures for paralysis. In addition, Team LeGrand supports counseling, education and other quality of life initiatives to inspire those living with spinal cord injuries, their families, friends and caregivers, through the Reeve Foundation's Paralysis Resource Center.

Purchase your Sky Blue FC tickets now by visiting tickets.skybluefc.com or calling 888-SBFC-TIX (888-723-2849).

About Team LeGrand
    Team LeGrand of the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation helps individuals living with spinal cord injury and their families by supporting quality of life initiatives and emerging therapies that will get us to the end zone -- cures for SCI. To learn more, visit www.TeamLeGrand.org.

5. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    Great to know about this. Thanks!

6. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric LeGrand is the Rutgers football player paralyzed in a 2010 game.

7. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MORRISTOWN, NJ (May 19, 2014) - Sky Blue FC announced today that the club's home game against the Boston Breakers on June 22, which was originally scheduled to start at 6:00 p.m. ET, will now kick off at 1:00 p.m. ET. The match will be held at Yurcak Field in Piscataway, NJ and will mark the final meeting between the two squads for the 2014 season.

10. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Here is Nadia:

BqLAsi9CMAAP3X8.jpg

Nadia Nadim is an Afghanistan–born Danish footballer, who plays as a striker for Fortuna Hjørring in the Elitedivisionen. (Denmark)

11. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also from another thread:
    "yeah, she's the Afghan born striker that scored in the 1st half. She's not a regular starter for the Danes but got in there when the normal starter Pernille Harder either was insured or just did want to play in the Algarve Cup."

I am afraid I can't get too excited about this.

12. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  13. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Snooping around and she seems kind of prolific for her Danish club.

14. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Game Highlights from that awesome win over the stacked Portland Thorns! :D

15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A good tough swarming defense by Sky Blue, great goalkeeping, and a bit of luck. But then soccer is a lot about luck. Kudos to Cameron and Freels especially. O'hara demonstrated her usual inaccuracy in shooting, but was covering miles of space and causing the defense to take account of her. (She's a wing defender not a forward, IMO) Hays was very good at putting some pressure on Portland in the latter stages of the game.

I noticed Cutshall (whatever her full name is) for the first time in this game. She made some good plays and is a physical presence.

Dernhelm repped this.
  16. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Funny how the commentators called her out at the beginning of the game for a mistake, look what happened. Same with Cameron, they kept going on and on about Jim not going with "the more solid/better keeper/etc etc" Loyden and look how she showed them! Personally i think it was a practical decision since Jill played only a few days ago.

For this game i particularly like Nanase Kiryu's contributions. the Japanese national team coach has indirectly criticized her defensive efforts but wow was she all over the field pestering Portland's wingers!

17. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    You sure? ;)

She just scored on just her second game, and her first start. One of the very convincing SBFC wins if i may say so myself too!

18. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, Nadim was rather impressive. But the real test will be how impressive she can be when SkyBlue welcomes their old nemesis on the 31st.

Dernhelm repped this.
  19. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am willing to eat my words.
    As I wrote on the game day thread after seeing her for the first time yesterday: "we were very impressed with Nadim this evening, exceeded my modest expectations for her".

Those were based on the report that she was not a regular started for Denmark, that she plays for a Danish club, and is a full time medical student (therefor limiting training time).

Dernhelm repped this.
  20. Dernhelm

Dernhelm Member+

May 13, 2014
    Drovers Run
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Hehe, i guess you didn't know about how Denmark almost reached the EURO 2013 Finals, and have successfully thwarted juggernaut France in the quarters. Nadim had a lot of minutes during that tournament and have scored vital penalties for the NT. Denmark of late has been improving so much too, anyway, whether it's the national team or the domestic league It's not just as flashy as the other big European leagues.

21. liesse00

liesse00 Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Blake Shelton would say: O.M.G.
    I just clicked on the SkyBlue web site to verify that Caitlin Foord was still on the roster and they headline:

#WeAreNJ

And in big bold:
    PROUD TO BE YOUR NEW JERSEY TEAM and SHARE YOUR PRIDE AND SHOW US YOUR NJ and
    WORLD CLASS SOCCER IN NEW JERSEY.

I love it. Been way too long coming. Play the Jersey card early and often.

The web site is pretty darn sharp. Lots of photos and yet a basic, useful menu across the top to get you where you want to go (Roster, Tickets, Schedle, Standings, News, etc.).

P.S. Mods - please change the title of this forum to NJ Sky Blue - thanks!

23. SaintNdaCity

SaintNdaCity Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was able to get to see SBFC get a home win over the Flash on July 31st of last year.
    Probably 3500 in the stands that day.

24. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Welcome Sarah Killion to Sky Blue FC

Welcome Kristin Grubka to Sky Blue FC

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+