SJQ v CF Monterrey Saturday 3/23

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sacrxy, Feb 1, 2019.

1. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-1 Monterrey

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

3. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We’ve recycled how many coaches? And we’ve kept the same core group of players. So I agree with you. Also agree with you on the TT assessment that I cut out of this reply

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  4. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%. Totally different game when the youngsters came on. And it was kind of funny when Almeyda first signalled down to the corner for the subs. At first they thought he only wanted one player, then it was like , "no, I want 5 of you!"

Tommy was very good. His trapping and control of the ball is immediate, and was linking up nicely with Salinas and Fuentes. . Cavillo did several spins and misdirects that turned his marker, allowing him to push up the field with ball and had some nice interceptions. Fuentes was lively, and looking for the ball. Cowell scored within a couple of minutes of entering the game, beating his man to the near post to sweep in Tommy's pass from the endline.

Sactown Soccer and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was the back line? Flo played?

Did Almeyda start with his usual lineup, and then It sounds like he changed to the youngsters around the 60th min?
    who was the GK?

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not the usual lineup. Flo and Ockford were centerbacks with Lacroix and Marie at left and right back. Shea Salinas played right wing and Cristian Espinoza on left wing. Judson and Magnus Eriksson were in the center midfield with Wondo at forward, and Tarbell in net.

mjlee22 repped this.
  7. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    My wife and I just got back from the game and it was the most fun we had at a game all year. Special thanks to @mjlee22 for gifting us the parking pass which made getting in and out super easy.

The first half felt pretty much like all the Quakes games this year - a combination of pain, depression, and boredom ;). It got much better when the subs came in and it was so much more fun to watch. Cavillo, Feuntes, Cowell, Thompson all gave energy and skill and I agree that other players played better as a result.

After Cowell scored and the stadium announcer announced '15 yo Cowell' people around me couldn't believe he was only 15. From where we were sitting he did not look 15.

The way Feuntes fights for the ball was kinda similar to Quincy. I think he should beef up a bit to play that way because he'll get hacked on. Fun to watch though and he's a skillful player. Look forward to seeing more of him.

Wondo had a couple headers that I really wished he would have positioned better - I think it would have helped him get his mojo back. He also seemed kinda overly upset with the ref - not sure what that was all about.

Flo's free kick was the best Quakes free kick I saw all year.

The guy who played left back (somebody from Reno?) looked just as good as anyone else who's played there as far as I could tell.

Affolter was scary and Ockford didn't look great (I think both goals was his guy). I always like Flo though.

Tarbell - basically same old Tarbell from last year. If it was Almeyda who requested another GK I believe he made the right decision.

Not a fan of Paul Marie.

Espinosa looks promising and I suspect (hope) he will get even better.

Judson is everywhere all the time.

Anyway, we had fun. I don't know if these young players can do this every game but if they can I'm definitely on board win or lose. I wouldn't miss our regular starting 11 to be honest.

bobby_guzman, nivla, mjlee22 and 3 others repped this.
  8. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    After Cowell scored but before the stadium announcer mentioned him or told the crowd his age I was whooping it up and exclaimed to the ball boy in front of me, "He's 15!" The kid replied, as if I was a doofus, "I know." :)

Great, alert ball kid. He was later quick to provide a ball for a throw-in to a Quakes player in the dying moments.

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and Scott Rohde repped this.
  9. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monterrey 2 Quakes 1

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if CF Monterrey were playing their reserves or starters?

11. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting lineup was
    ---------------Wondo
    Espinosa--Eriksson--Salinas
    -----------Felipe---Judson
    LaCroix--Jungwirth--Ockford--Marie
    -------------------Tarbell

I thought Jungwirth, Judson, LaCroix, and Espinosa were the starters that looked at least decent. Felipe and Salinas looked good once all the youngsters came in. The youngsters all looked good. I'd like to see Calvillo take Godoy's spot. TT needs to play.

lazlo325, TyffaneeSue and Scott Rohde repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's a great question. The only info we were given regarding the Monterrey lineup was over the PA. There was no program or scorecard, or even lineup sheet that is usually available at guest services. So, I had no real ability to research players on my smart phone if I was so inclined.

If we're going to pay full price for these friendlies as part of the season ticket package, the Quakes need to treat the games with the same dignity as the regular games. I mentioned this to my ticket rep in the concourse when he asked me how I felt about the friendlies, and I intend to raise it further up the chain of command.

bobby_guzman, S.J. Jim and mjlee22 repped this.
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok @Earthshaker, you convinced me, I finally signed up for ESPN+ :eek:

One improvement I’ve already noticed is that, unlike with the MLS website and app, I don’t have to watch a 30 second commercial every time I want to watch a 1 minute highlight. That was so aggravating, I’ve only been watching highlights on twitter, where they aren’t preceded by ads.

14. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, did Monterey make a lot of subs in the 2nd half?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    They made several subs, including their keeper, but I think fewer than the Quakes and mostly later.

16. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Match data here (since the Quakes actual website couldn't provide it): https://www.oursportscentral.com/se...monterrey-in-international-friendly/n-5461444

I wonder if this game will help to wake Almeyda up (or give him any hope).

Some player observations...
    Tarbell made a few good saves (including the backpass from Affolter!), but his distribution still isn't very good.
    Lacroix looked very comfortable and composed at LB. That's saying a lot, considering the circumstances. Impressive.
    Flo was fine. Liked his encouragement of the young guys after we scored.
    Ockford is okay, but really only going to be an option for us in an emergency. Not sure he's really MLS quality.
    Paul Marie looked uncomfortable and less than composed on numerous occasions. Not impressed.
    Luis Felipe looked rusty and slow, especially in the first half.
    Judson still showed a great work rate; and his questionable passing skills.
    Eriksson has been one of our best players this season so far, even if you overlook his scoring and assisting. He's still slow, but he's been very good with the ball. He looked pretty good again today. I still don't like him as an Earthquake, but I have to be honest and give him credit for what he's been doing (of course, it's not too hard to look like the best player on THIS team).
    Salinas looked fairly sharp today.
    Espinoza continues to not impress me very much. His crossing and shooting is still erratic. He had one good look at a shot that he failed to put on frame. He's also not good at ball-winning.
    Speaking of failing to score, Wondo had two headers that could (probably should) have been goals, but he put them too close the the keeper. Not good enough.
    Thompson looked very good today, and I still don't understand why he's being played at RB. He probably defends as well or better than Lima, but he should be utilized more in the midfield. That said, he had several giveaways today, and also got outrun and out-muscled a few times. He's fun to watch, but I'm still not sure he'll ever be worthy of heavy minutes.
    Calvillo and Fuentes impressed me with their energy, courage, and skill, but they're young, and it showed. They made numerous mistakes. Give them more minutes though, for sure.
    Cowell's goal was very well taken. Nice anticipation and quickness. Will need to see more (obviously) before making any serious assessments.

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though it didn't apply for today's game, I also have the MLS Direct Kick Package with DirecTV, which I prefer even over ESPN+ if watching at home (though the ESPN+ app is definitely useful when out of the house).. :thumbsup:

Though just like ESPN+, MLS Direct Kick includes neither nationally televised games nor locally/regionally televised games (in our case, San Jose Earthquakes games on either NBC Sports California or NBC Sports Bay Area, or either's Plus channels).

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 mjlee22, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    And now OMG I’m even watching Chinese Super League!

- - - - EDIT - - - -
    And the Indian Super League!

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the data I linked to, it looks like Monterrey actually made more. They started earlier (two subs at half-time), and continued about as late as we did (two in the 85th, vs our one in the 87th).

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe so. Shows the quality of an impression formed while enjoying a couple IPAs. :)

21. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like 5 Monterrey players were called up for the El-Tri?

https://www.sjearthquakes.com/post/...d-mexico-national-team-upcoming-international

22. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was a LOT of subs to keep track of today! :) I was completely unaware of their two half-time subs until a few minutes ago. Hard to take notice of such things when you're playing against a very unfamiliar opponent.

don gagliardi repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Coaches agreed on nine subs. Monterrey had nine subs on the bench, Quakes had seven.

I agree that Lacroix may be what we’ve been looking for at LB, but we’ll have to see how that pans out, and the entire atmosphere changed when the kids came on. I am assuming that when Wondo finally gets his two, that is exactly what will happen. May not save the season, but should at least make it interesting.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They made so many subs that player #302 made it into the game.