SJ Earthquakes - might they actually be good this year?

Discussion in 'Sacramento Republic FC' started by mangerson, Mar 5, 2017.

1. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a difference a real GM makes.

I normally watch a game with a good Republic team and then watch a lousy SJ team play and conclude that there is not a lot of difference between the two. No more. Tonight, I went home and watched SJ and they looked very solid. Yeah, I know we've been snake-bitten for opportunities to play this preseason. But there is no comparing these two.

New starters at CB, RB, LM (TT) and F and I think they were all noticeable upgrades. Sean Francis still started only because of injury but he clearly will be a sub in the coming weeks. Urena created havoc for the opposing backline. Lima was more than capable in supporting the attack out of the back and others did not have to cover for him defensively. Jungwirth provided perhaps the best CB pairing with Bernardez in perhaps ever. TT was solid in both the attack and defending. Hyka, coming on in the 71st minute, will clearly be an exciting attacker. As well as everyone played, Godoy was clearly the man of the match with one sweet goal and constantly winning balls and controlling play centrally. Perhaps he felt free to go make plays because he has faith in those around him.

Why the hell did it take so long to fire Doyle?

(This is the kind of thread on starts when he can't seem to get to sleep)

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  2. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot to be optimistic about, as you stated.....but it was only one game. If they can maintain that style and pace through the remainder of the season, they will be contenders.

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. fortunesfool223

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Dec 26, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure i can draw any conclusions after the Whitecaps game....SJ was up a man for about 70 minutes, so that kinda skews the results.

A bit disappointing to give up two goals so early, but I'm encouraged by SJ fighting back. I don't think that would have happened last year. Even so, after tying the game, this team would have parked the bus last year and been satisfied with the point.

Still guardedly optimistic.......