SJ Barons Vs. Salty Dogs

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by PhillyFury, Jun 9, 2004.

1. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone explain to me how the lower-seeded Barons get to play this one at home in Jersey? Wondering what kinda crowd the Barons get for what arguably could be the biggest game yet in their brief existence. Anybody giving them a chance against Syracuse?

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having family in Merion Sta., PA, and being in W PA myself, I'll go for the almost-PA SJ Barons. I don't think it'll happen, though (nor will it be a blowout. Maybe 3:1 or so).

I'm clueless as to how homefield adv. is achieved, though, sorry. I'm also wondering how the pairings even get decided. Like, why would Cocoa face Portland instead of Rochester, or vice versa.

3. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    They usually try to keep the pairings as close together regionally as possible to cut down on travel expanses, so it's not really a "draw" in the classic meaning.

As for who gets home field, that can be determined by different means. In the case of Syracuse, they share their stadium with a minor league baseball team, so it's probably not available for the night of the cup. Also, sometimes a smaller team will gaurantee a better crowd. For example, last year the Wilmington Hammerheads hosted DC United for the quarterfinals, and drew over 5,000 people. A great crowd for a 3rd level club, but that would be crap for DC if they hosted the game, an thats about what they would have drawn at RFK.

Here are my predictions on how the 3rd round will shake out. The official announcement will be at 11am today.
    Dallas Burn v. San Diego/Boulder
    Portland Timbers v. Sacramento /Utah
    Minnesota Thunder v. Syracuse /South Jersey
    Richmond Kickers v. DFW Tornados/Virginia Beach
    Columbus Crew v. Chi. Fire Reserve/New Hampshire
    Rochester Raging Rhinos v. Cape Cod /Western Mass
    Atlanta Silverbacks v. Cocoa/Wilmington
    Charleston Battery v. Charlotte/Carolina

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have not released the 2004 manual for the tournament, but here were the 2003 guidelines for site selection.

In other words, you have to want to host, then present a better argument. The SkyChiefs are indeed home on June 15, so that would have left the Salty Dogs to find an alternate site or try and negotiate an alternate date. Maybe they just didn't have a good enough alternate site or just figured they could deal with travel.

The play in Atlanta on June 11 and Virginia Beach on June 13, so I assume they will just go up the coast for the game.

5. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is actually a funny situation. I was talking to a Barons player about it last week. Go to the game if you can. I'm serious, but bring your own place to sit. The grass will be about 12 feet tall and the Barons will pack it in. They actually have a decent team this year, but the field and tactics will be their only hope. The weather tonight might help as well. This game will be a shock to the Dogs' system I'm sure.

Winslow HS is off of route 73. Keep going east and you'll find it.

BTW, it appears Columbus will face the winner of this match.

6. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm originally from Philly. Were I there, I would definitely travel to Jersey for this game. This is what makes Cup competitions so great! What if any press buildup has there been for this game. I'm always giving the Inky crap for their continued ignoring of soccer. If promoted properly this game could've drawn a couple thousand. Go Barons!!!

7. Rev's Irish Rose

Rev's Irish Rose New Member

Feb 13, 2004
    Somerville, MA.
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can anyone who was at this game please post the result ?

8. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Latest from ussoccer.com is 1-1 in the 75's minute, with a note that the game was suspended due to lightning and darkness. I'm guessign Winslow High School doesn't have lights? No word yet on when the rest of the game will be finished.

9. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    The word I got from David Applegate at US Soccer is that the Syracuse-South Jersey match will have to be replayed within 7 days, per the US Open Cup rules.

10. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, a bunch of my friends are referees and we do local USL games. A couple of buddies were on this match and the rest went to watch. The report I got was that the game was suspended twice. Winslow does not have lights, but it was supposed to have them by now. Anyway, it was 1-1 and Syracuse had two players sent-off. The friend that called me, I had to go to the Phillies game for work, told me it was a barn-burner. It looks like Syracuse and the Barons will postpone their league games Saturday and replay at Winslow between 5pm and 6pm Saturday.

There has been no local press at all. The Barons try, but they don't have much of a presence. They may get 200 a game if they are lucky. I would not be surprised if 2/3 of the attendance is us referees going to watch eachother and friends and families of players. They really miss Matt Driver going up to New England.

The field is the high school varsity field at Winslow High. It has a couple of small bleachers, but that's it. It isn't much. I'll find out more about this game in the coming days. If you want information, let me know and I can post it. It would be nice to see more people come out and watch these guys. They have a pretty decent team and could use the support.

11. chn71

chn71 Member

Jul 23, 2000
    Elyria, Oh
    Sounds unfortunate for the Barons, I'm sure with Syracuse short two players, they would have punched in the winning goal eventually.

billf, if you have a number for a cell phone I could call during the game, I would be able to post updates on usopencup.com. I was given a cell number for the South Jersey scorekeeper by Neil Holloway to call tonight for updates, but I guess he must have left it at home, since it kept ringing and was never answered. e-mail me at chn71@comcast.net, or leave a PM for me here.

12. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all the interesting stuff. It's pretty ridiculous the Philly papers and Jersey ones couldn't give this game a little more hype. After all, you've got a Division two team, as it were, coming in and playing a bunch of essentially college boys. It's got a great storyline. I've pestered the people at the Inky sports desk for years, and I always get the same retort for why soccer coverage at the paper is so pathetic: little or no interest. So I say, all your coverage on golf, let's say, is based on the huge interest in that sport, or more, likely WHO plays golf: the wealthy, the same folks the admen salivate over. So, the argument that coverage is based on what the masses want is hogwash. We've gotta email the Inky at : sports@philly.com to get someone, Mike Jensen at this makeup game. The Barons gotta pester them, too.

13. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't pester the Inky. It isn't their fault. Trust me. The Barons just don't have the resources to right now to generate or warrant that type of exposure.

14. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright. But I like pestering, it comes naturally to me. By the way, couple of years ago, the wife and I rented a place down at the shore and the Barons were playing a few of their games there. Our stay, unfortunately, didn't coincide with any games, but it would seem a great way to attract a crowd. I remember the field was right off the beach, in easy walking distance of lots of stuff.

15. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look a little love for the Barons

http://www.southjerseynews.com/issues/june/s061604c.htm

Sounds like an interesting match, and I was not aware of the teams having brothers on them.

Newspapers from Camden, Cherry Hill, or even Atlantic City could cover the team. I know that is a dream, but this is a start. If the Barons manage to beat Syracuse, I would hope that more of the local media would pick up the story and bring the team some publicity.

16. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The games in Ocean City actually did well. They played the second half of their seasons down there. That field no longer exists though. They tore it up last year to expand the high school. That place was tough to get to on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon with all the traffic if you had to ref though! :)

17. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monday? Five thirty??!!!!?? Man, no wonder no one goes to their games. I know they've got no flood lights at this field, but sheez, how can you expect anyone to turn up at the game with a start time like that. I'm going to email the Inquirer to see if they'll send someone to cover. What else really is going on sports wise? They can't sneak in a few column inches in between all the Phillies crap.

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the match was suspended by darkness/weather does Syracuse get to start the match with 11 or do they have to play with 9?

Second question. Is this match all that those who recieved red cards are going to sit out, or are they also expelled from the next US Open Cup match they play in?

20. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The match will be replayed, so both teams start with 11.

The two players red carded for Syracuse will serve their suspensions for this match. Don't know if they're also suspended for Round 3 as well.

21. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a link that supports this? I only ask because a friend of mine and I (both USL refs) were trying to figure this out. There's nothing in the USL manual speaking to it and there's nothing to point to in the Laws of the Game.

Is your answer based on your own logic (I personally came to the conclusion that they'd play with 11, everyone would be available, and the two red carded players would face discipline in their "next" matches--not this replay) or do you have documentation from USSF?

22. ro759

ro759 New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    ------------------------

Actually, to clear things up, acording to the US Open Cup guidebook, since the match must be replayed in it's entirety, all events are null and void from the previous encounter... all players are eligible and there is no disciplinary action from USL since this game has nothing to do with USL... It's a fully U.S. Soccer affair.

23. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, that makes sense. Although, if Syracuse progresses I would be surprised if the two players didn't face disciplinary action for Round 3 (or for their first USOC match next year if they lose). The match report from the abandoned game is still submitted to USSF with the two red cards, so according to FIFA, USSF is technically obliged to make them sit their "next" match.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Ever since I heard that the match was stopped due to lightning, I have been wondering this. What would happen if the same two players, assuming they are going to play, got red cards again? I know that is a what if situiation, I assume that the USSf would have to come down rather hard on the two players.

25. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the South Jersey Barons web site: http://www.sjbarons.com/Article_28.htm