SiriusXM Listening Thread (LRC)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Jan 18, 2016.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    SiriusXM has 5 shows that are really worth listening to for MLS and Nats discussions. As I listed these out, funny how many former Revs involved.

• 7am-9amFootball Show – Charlie Stillitano, Ray Hudson, Neal Barnett (Chelsea). A little more European league based discussions, but they do focus when there are big games or news in MLS/Nats and Charlie has good stories and connections regarding discussion about MLS and US Soccer. As much shtick Charlie took for Metrostars, I find him great to listen to
    • Wed 1-3pm Coaching Academy – new show from Glen Crooks talking coaching stuff – first couple really good.
    • 11am-1pm Soccer Morning – Jason Davis by himself. Can be a little soap-boxy, but he focus on all stuff US realted, even NASL, etc
    • 5-7pm Counter Attack – Brian Dunseth (Dunny) and Christopher Sullivan (Sully). Used to be Harkes and Meola who were good too, but they have coaching jobs now. Plus some guests like Janucz Michalik (former Rev)
    • 7-9pm WTF – Wynalda Talks Football (get it?? ha) – best of the bunch in my mind. Regardless of what you think of him on Fox, he has a cool show and speaks his mind.

RevsLiverpool, ToMhIlL and KapeGuy repped this.
  2. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff. Thanks. I'll give a listen. Not sure what Sirius is (I'm only a little younger than Soccer Doc) but I'll get one of my grown kids or one of my students to tell me, and I'll give these shows a try. It kills me to be on the elliptical in the gym and the sports shows on the television are discussing every sport in the world except soccer.

3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Sorry, this is Satellite Radio that you pay subscription for in your cars but you can get an internet-only subscription - which is what I use a lot off my phone by downloading. I had bought a lifetime subscription way way back before they had any soccer stuff (but Howard Stern) which is one of the only smart business moves I have made ;)
    Not sure what it costs now, or how much is available by other "methods"

I am writing up a mini-transcript from a show on Friday that I am sure people would love from a Revs perspective

4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wynalda’s show on Friday was great from a Revs perspective. He was at the NSCAA Convention where they were broadcasting live. I did not get a chance to stop by but saw were they were broadcasting from.

Brian Dunseth came by and they started reminiscing about some of the old Revs and Nats days which were hilarious, and they were clearly having a great time together.

Of note:
    • Carlos Parra – it was inferred that MLS, USSoccer, Nike created Project 40 because Parra was not going to be able to meet eligibility requirements for University Maryland as a freshman but USSoccer just capped him so they created this program to skip college so it didn’t look like they had egg on their face. Dunseth was the #2 signing.
    • They made fun of how Rongen used to yell at them with spit flying out.
    • Then they told a great story where Lalas was late for some training and Rongen yelled at him and said “You are fined $100”. Lalas reached into his pocket and pulled out a wad, and peeled off a $100 bill and handed it to Rongen and said “This cover it?” Rongen went crazy with the F bombs.
    • Dunseth told another story about “Los” - Carlos Parra. They were doing a team classroom session(Johnny Torres, Imad Babba, Teddy C, etc) and doing a workshop with words. This woman was leading and would give the team a letter and asking players to make a word out of it. Like “T” and they came up with Team, or “R” and they came up with Respect. Dunny says they had the letter “O”, and Carlos Parra raised his hand and said “Honesty”. Everyone was cracking up and he was asked to spell it and he said “Onesti”
    • John Kerr Jr stopped by and Dunseth told the story as a 20 years old with Revs and trying to keep pace with the “old guy” John Kerr. He ran his ass off and couldn’t keep up with John Kerr. He was puking at the end and Teddy C asked him “Hey, how was that run?”
    • They also were making funny Steve Sampson impressions that he talked like he was Kirk on Star Trek
    • Also, Dunseth told a funny story where he was training with Nats, served a 50 yard diagonal ball to a streaking Hejduk, and it ended up hitting Hejduk on the back. Sampson yelled at Hejduk that he had to turn your body, take the ball down (which they impersonated hilariously) and then made Heyduk get off the field. Meola asked Dunny – “did you just get Frankie kicked off the field?”
    • Dunseth started as Burn’s roommate.
    • Some great Clive Charles story for those that remember him!
    • Wynalda threw a jab at Harkes.
    • Funny impression of story that Dunseth told where Sampson rolled up to Nick Rimando at the airport and said “Nick, Coma Esta?” And Rimando said “Sorry bro, I don’t speak Spanish”.
    • Then Sampson was yelling at the 4th official in Spanish on the road, and Friedel had to say “Steve, he is from Canada”
    • Rusty Pierce lead team in prayer, got into warmups and then for some reason slid tackled into the post for no reason and then he started dropping F bombs
    • Some unnamed Revs assistant coach would not allow the team to eat protein during the pre-season - just plantains and rice

Really enjoyable listen.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good stuff! I love those kinds of stories. I imagine it would be a hell of a lot of fun to be a fly on the wall when those guys are out having a few beers. Waldo was always the guy you'd go to in the locker room for a chat. Even though he'd often speak to me off the record, he always had something interesting to say.

Unfortunately I don't have this, but a couple of times when I had a loaner car, the dealership had it and I've listened to some of those shows. IIRC Stillitano and Meola actually did a pretty decent show on the Euro Champions League, talking about the upcoming games, who the players to watch are, which teams were desperate for results, etc. I hadn't been following it closely, so it was informative and insightful.

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Lee was on Counter Attack last night with Dunseth and Sullivan.

Spoke of trying to do his best at Nats camp, wanted to build foundation. Was trying to get his feet wet before the more important games coming up.

Favorite Players he models his game after: Zidane, Iniesta, and Ronaldinho

He was asked by Dunseth why New England fits for you and to how important it was to find the environment with the right pieces around you.

Lee's answer quoted: "Why New England fits? I don't know. [laughs] New England had to fit, I didn't have a choice".

He then recovers PR-wise and says he made the most of it, tried to win a spot, and find his footing and showcase. Quote: "It has been a great 4 years and Jay has done great to build the team to where they are at."

But he does end the interview when asked about Vietnam or Europe.

Lee's answer quoted: "Of course I would never close any doors and as a player always want to keep your options open. If the right club or offer came along then I would definitely listen to and won't say no to that."

End the interview quoted: "Right now, at present focused on Canada game and then getting ready for 2016, for the season."

KapeGuy, VTSoccerFan and NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't read too much into the "keep all the options open" comment. Of course if he can make 3x his salary with a European club where he can play, why wouldn't he do it? I can't blame him, but that's the answer you'll get when you ask someone to speculate. I can't see him going to Vietnam. That was his stepping stone to MLS, and he was a big star there. And it isn't like he's from Vietnam either. His parents are, but he's from Texas.

8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    bump - hasn't been much until last Friday when Kelyn Rowe was on the air with Eric Wynalda on the WTF show.

A really good interview with the following highlights paraphrased as best I can:

• Wynalda had always been a "silent" fan of Rowe's when he was at UCLA. During College Cup - Twellman called Wynalda to ask him who he should be on the lookout for to call out during the broadcast, Wynalda told him Rowe - and afterwards Twellman sent Wynalda a text saying "Thanks - you made me look good with that call"
    • He asked about the man bun - and Rowe admitted he did it to try and change it up and be a rebel, but quickly realized that was a huge mistake as it was not who he was so he chalked it up to a learning experience. [my add - I agree - he couldn't handle the shtick he got and it actually made him realize this was a serious job and he had to play better - he has had a better year because of this IMO]
    • He had the choice for #11 or #20 - didn't want to take Taylor's number so he took 11. [my add - can someone verify what was Wynalda's number when he was here - I wondered if he was trying to lead Rowe to talk
    • about having his old number, but I could be wrong]
    • Wynalda asked is he was frustrated that he was not getting any callups or attention at US Nats or other awards - Rowe agreed it was frustrating but he is focused on getting more and more consistent and knows if he does this - at some point, someone will have to take notice. [my add - this might be a stretch - there is too much depth and Rowe will really have to become a dominant player for this to happen - I hope he has it in him]

Then the fun begins:
    • Eric talks about the Miami Fusion days - and he says he was the captain when Heaps was a rookie so they would always tease Heaps and it was his job to look out for the rookies of Heaps, Cassar, and Mastroeni - who he notes are all now coaches in MLS.
    • Eric says Heaps' phrase that he was always using was "lollygagging". So he asks Rowe is he still uses it - and Rowe says all the time! Wynalda starts cracking up because he can't believe Heaps still says it since they used to make fun of him for it.
    • Rowe says he definitely sees the old school in Heaps and a little bit of Coach K. Wynalda asks him in what way - and Rowe says Heaps is always using a whistle. He blows the whistle all the time - even just to change drill to drill. Rowe makes a joke that he has to check his ear drums because Heaps is blasting the whistle in players' ears.
    Good interview - not something we would have gotten from Lemiux or MLS press (not offense intended).

9. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

10. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Waldo wore 21 in 2000 and 11 in 2001.

dncm repped this.
  11. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks for that - then my hunch was right and Waldo was trying to lead him there. To his credit, once he realized Rowe had no idea that Wynalda used to wear 11, he did back off.