Shut this Thread Down! - The Antonio Valencia Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by damnecuadorian, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Whatever. Nothing against the guy but I didn't think he was good enough when we bought him and I still don't think he's good enough now. If you're going to be so dumb as to not learn how to use your weak foot at all, you're preferred foot better be Robben levels. His right isn't and therefore he was always a technically weak player that lost his only trick when he broke his ankle.

Thanks for the years and enjoy your final payday somewhere else.

2. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Don't think I believe that. His physical ability to actually play seems very suspect right now.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Modern fullback / wing-back is a younger mans game anyhow. Gary Nev showed how quickly fullbacks go over a cliff and admitted as much himself.

Tony V in particular his game was based on his speed and physicality which are clearly now suspect - it certainly wasn't based on his assists, goal-threat or crossing :)

4. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Antonio served the club well and should be respected for his service. He’s done at the elite level, but there’s no need to puke vomit on him.

5. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to a random Serie A club in the top 8 might suit him. Could also see him in Mexico or the US. Hoping for one of the latter two.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Off topic a bit, but it's always bothered me that he's been in England for like 13 years and still can't speak a lick of English. You have to be incredibly stupid or incredibly lazy to allow that to happen.

jeff070 repped this.
  7. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why? As long as he can communicate with his teammates, what does it matter?

Deadtigers repped this.
  8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some people do not possess linguistic abilities. This does not correlate with intelligence or morality.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Well first, he obviously he can't communicate with them that well if he doesn't speak the common language of the team and staff. Also, it's just screams laziness. You're going to live somewhere for 10 plus years and not learn the native language? That's pathetic.

10. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Valencia starts in tonite's friendly against the US. I thought he'd retired from int'l play? We'll see how good the US make him look.

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not so obvious. He has a fairly long run as first choice RB and RW. I doubt the staff would have kept him as such if he couldn’t communicate with his teammates.

That is your opinion and I won’t say whether I agree with you or not. I will say that if the guy went from his work to home and very little in between, it would hardly affect him or others around him.

Btw, how do you know how good his English is or isn’t? There are tons of other things to criticize the guy for. This just seems kinda low, IMO. I don’t even care for Valencia all that much.

jnielsen repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Uncalled for. He served this club with distinction. The last 5 years have been rubbish for everyone and played RB with no help at RW for how many seasons. Yes it is time for him to go but have some respect for the years of service.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You guys can be pissy all you want. I'm not saying the guy is a piece of shit or that I hate him. I'm saying I think it's lazy not to learn the native language of somewhere if you've lived there for 10 plus years. I don't think that's an outlandish claim to make.

Also, I'm not just shitting on the guy on the way out. Go back and look at my old posts. I was never a fan of his. I appreciate his service to the club but just because he's been here a long time doesn't mean I have to think he did a great job for us. He was a good winger for a few seasons, a terrible one for more, a serviceable RB for a while, and a terrible RB for longer.

jeff070 repped this.
  14. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sorry, brah, but you are the one that has been pissy. I just don't understand the assertion that he cannot communicate with his teammates or that it even matters how much English he speaks. Seems silly.

incighte and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  15. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    It matters. When you try to adapt things like that come a long way. It builds bonding, you understand the culture better and yes language and culture come hand in hand.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I've never met a single person whom lived somewhere foreign and didn't learn at least some of the language. Most people learn how to speak the new language to the best of their abilities. It's stupid for someone to stick up for him. 9 ********ing years.

MizzouMUFC and jeff070 repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't doubt that Valencia's English was very poor, but I can't believe it's non existent either. I'm guessing that's why we never heard him speak publicly (not to mention he's the embodiment of the "strong, silent type"). But surely he has some kind of basic knowledge, that at the very least gets him by with his teammates.
    There's no way he would have been made club captain if he couldn't communicate even on a basic, rudimentary level with his teammates. But living in a country for over 10yrs, he really should have a much better handle of the language, without a doubt.

18. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Not to mention he's from a small town in the Ecuadorian rainforest. He's done more cultural adaptation in his life than any keyboard warrior here.

Mizzou hates Val. He just wants a reason to shit on him.

Anonymous_United and JC7rox repped this.
  19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Racist. Because he's from the Ecuadorian rain forest he can't learn english? Does he have a learning disability because he's from the rain forest?

jeff070 and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't like him as a player because I don't think (and have never thought) he's very good. I tend to not like guys that are technically weak players.

I also said that him not speaking English was an off topic comment. I don't measure his performances on that, it's just something that bothers me.

But go ahead and jump to conclusions about things you know nothing about. It's kind of your M.O. around here anyway.

Also, agree with Chaz. You're super racist.

jeff070 repped this.
  21. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Totally forgot he was captain. Lol. How that happened with him struggling to communicate with his teammates is quite amazing.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Senior guy. Hard worker. Nods a lot. No back sass.

What's not to like?

jeff070 repped this.
  23. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Lmao that's a weak jump, even for you.

All the implication of race and capability are coming from you. I commended him for going as far as he has in his lifetime.

Only in your world would the racist be the one commending someone for traveling so far in a lifetime. It's definitely not the handful of supporters who are doing the American South equivalent of saying, "he gots to learn English or he's stupid!"

24. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This latest racist accusation is one of the more bizarre ones I have seen in a long time :thumbsdown:

25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But points for creativity.

Chaz Striker repped this.