Should we listen to Wynalda?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Badattitude, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    this time and make Frank Yallop the USMNT HC? I heard him on ESPN2 explaining his reasoning and he basically said it's a no brainer...and that a Euro coach would fail b/c he wouldn't know about MLS and it's value as well as the US youth /College Soccer system. Said it would take a Euro coach a year to get over the shock of how things run here...
    Whaddya think?

2. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    Wouldn't be opposed to Yallop, and some of his opinions are right, but I feel Wynalda is simply trying to suggest a viable candidate not named Klinsmann, in order to spark debate.

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    I think Yallop should be considered if Klinsmann dawdles too long, or turns it down.

But I think folks are crazy if they want to hire Wynalda in the position. He would be a disaster, IMO.

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I think you misunderstood ... Wynalda is a no-brainer.

Yallop couldn't get Canada out of first round of CONCACAF qualifying ... what a joke.

5. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Canada is a joke - the MLS told them years ago to start thier own pro league and they never listened...
    Hell their best player claims to English FFS ....

6. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    and how exactly are they to go about starting their own pro league? toronto montreal and vancouver?
    and is vancouver as successful when it is no longer a rival of sea/por?(i mean yes there is edmonton, calgary, quebec, winnipeg, etc., but those places have had trouble keeping HOCKEY franchises running, and how do you propose the travel should go for that league?)

and im not exactly sure which players you're speaking of (likely just hargreaves) because derosario is probably their best player and they got several others in MLS and USL to be able to qualify for the world cup, just had a few poor results and missed the hex... watchout next cup, theyll be contenders

7. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. He's insane! :p

8. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    Wynalda is a no brainer... exactly... Wynalda head coach Balboa assistant... Fernando Clavijo and John Murphy (Murphy doubling as GK coach) as scouts...

that should be your next US MNT coaching staff

9. Rob Base

Rob Base Member

Apr 30, 2003
    'Burque, NM
    I keep reading that the next coach must understand the US "system" and college soccer? I would think that we are past the point where a college player will be getting looks for the senior men's national team. Am I wrong here? Who was the last college player to get a callup? I can't remember.

And as far as the US system, I understand that we are different from estabished leagues in Europe. But do the differences in the US "system" so completely change things that a good coach can't function in the capacity of watching games, calling up the best players for a system, and motivating the assembled team? Are we to believe that Guus Hiddink, Scolari, or any other foreign coach, upon reaching the shores of America and being faced with a system that has college soccer and players in both MLS and abroad would be so baffled that they would immediately forget everything they know about talent identification, training, and tactics, curl up in the fetal position to mutter gibberish while simultaneously soiling themselves? The mere possibility of this type of situation then necessitating (note: possibly not an actual word) the hire of a "USA insider" regardless of whether their coaching skills are better? Help me understand this mysterious, alien system, please. What are the experts talking about?

10. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the guy knows what he's talking about. He's been there and done it. He makes a lot of sense when he speaks. We need a guy like him either playing striker or working with our strikers.

11. Matteo

Matteo New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    alot of dc fans may or may not like this idea...
    but i think piotr nowak should be the next us mens coach
    especially if/when he wins mls cup in november

12. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    its not so much that they wouldnt understand the system

its more that they would have to learn about the system and all the players in it from square 1... whereas someone who is experienced with our system is able to begin working with the stuff more expected of a us mnt coach from day 1...

there is also a point of preference to style... a foreign coach coming in will look downly upon our players abilities, and almost always be more apt to play us defensively... whereas in MLS most coaches are open to a far more aggressive style of play... and even Steve Nichol is using a 3-5-2 in NE often enough... this is the style I believe most people, one of them being Wynalda, the man who made the suggestion (and the man I would prefer as coach) would prefer... If you didnt notice... last cup we didnt concede all that many goals... but we didnt score so many... scoring goals is how you beat teams... not by waiting for the other team to do it...

also the 2 guys you listed, hiddink and scolari, are employed by portugal and russia... and are going to be looking forward to european championship qualification long before Sunil gets his act together and hires somebody...i mean christ it took more than 3 weeks after we were eliminated before he would remove Arena... and he never even did that... didnt have the sack to sack arena... what makes to think he is gona sweep up a good coach before they sign on somewhere...

but it also goes to show you that there arent exactly a lot of top class foreign coaches chomping at the bit to be US MNT coach...in fact I havent heard of even 1 name who even showed the least amount of interest...

13. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999
    well said...

14. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Are you serious?

Canada has some pretty big issues- one of which they don't have a real domestic league.

Wynalda has never been a coach. He has a long history of antagonizing coaches at every level of play (BL, Men's Nats, and a series of MLS coaches).
    Did you miss the Wynalda caravan in the late 90s in which he got traded from team-to-team because he gave a half-hearted effort, played the 'star' (you think Van Nisterooy thinks he a star, you obviously don't remember Wynalda) and was sliding downhill skill wise.

I think his grating act would wear thin on players on a day-to-day basis. They would basically hate him, and hate playing for him.

Wynalda in the perfect spot now. He gets to take pot-shots at players and coaches (without having to do the dirty work, or have the responsbility for it), and he's entertaining as heck. Why not leave him at what he does best? He certainly looks better than most on TV. He's redeemed himself in a way in his new TV role, but that shouldn't erase the memory of him as a destructive force on teams for many years. Those type of players don't make good coaches.

Yallop has a solid background, and has the prerequisite success in MLS. He seems to know how to make Landon comfortable (which is some value for our Nat team), and also seems to strike the right balance between being supportive but not too rah-rah. Yeah, I prefer Klinsmann or Hiddink still- but after that..I think Yallop would be very competitive (better than Nowak, IMO)

But Wynalda. No way.

15. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julie Foudy team mom. Oranges, guys!

16. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he'd love to get a chance to work with Taylor.

17. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um. I think he meant literally. No-brainer. Get it?

18. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Oh, that would be WAY funny.

I actually think Wynalda has a brain- (he's the Bill Walton of soccer- obnoxious, but with enough interesting insights and a great delivery to make him a good color man). But he is also full of himself.

So that doesn't equate with having no brain- but sidefootsitter's original comment was pretty clever.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think part of the point that is referred to about the college thing isn't so much that he'd be calling up college kids but rather that A) many of our players are college educated and tend to need a coach that is more communicative - professoiral, if you will - because they are used to some give and take and not a my-way-or-the-highway type that the European sterotype is; and B) that the emphasis on education in our country dramatically alters our youth setup and is a real hurdle in getting more players in a pro environment as teenagers. It's easy to imagine an outsider just coming in and saying "no more college soccer" for the elite players - which is in itself a good idea - but not understand the realities of the issues visa-vis parents and their expectations, etc...

Having said all that, it ain't rocket science. I think a foreign coach could figure all this out. IMO, the key with a foreign coach is to make damn sure he understands it all, clearly, BEFORE he agrees to sign on. Because he's in for a world of surprise if he doesnt' grasp it in advance. And, it is hard to convey that understanding in the interview process, to that might lead to some reluctance on the part of Sunil or whomever is doing the hiring.

But, if somone like SAF or Mourinho or Hiddink or Scolari, etc... WANTS to be the national team coach here, I think we'd be foolish to just dismiss the idea because he does grasp the complex issues surrounding college soccer.

20. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

gotta disagree with you here: hargreaves is their best players, after him then the de guzman brothers (one of whom is trying desperately to NOT play for Canada). de rosario is good, but not the best canuck

also, what do you mean by "they'll be contenders"? for what, do get into the hex ? or maybe qualify for the WC?

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i thought the belief in Europe about American players is that they listen to their coaches and follow what is said... in Europe (on the first team level) their is the arguments and talk...

22. Li mu bei

Li mu bei Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, its not like Yallop got a lot of (any?) support from the Canadian FA . . . .