Should we increase Social Security payments?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you think that a treasuries option should be mandated for all plans? I don't hate that. I'll never use it but I don't hate it.

2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

That's the idea. I have to think of the details. Perhaps only up to a certain amount.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sure, whatever. As I wrote before, if money-market funds are effed, your Treasuries are in trouble too. Society is collapsing by that point.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Payments or contribution levels? If payments, why would you want to reduce payments for those that need it most? Win For Life scratch offs are not a good hedge against a future of Friskies dinners.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you eventually run out of virgins, plus I hear afterlife is a such a loooooooooong time.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, keep it a flat tax on payroll, just get rid of the upper limit (no means testing, everyone gets S.S. regardless of income) and set the same taxes on tax capital gains.

I am sure he means contributions.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    As I near retirement age I think we should increase SS bennies. I am going to put economically challenged SuperDave on that, because he obviously has some great ideas.

8. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Given the miniscule return on money market funds, might as well cash out if you are that worried about safety. Bond funds and AAA rated insured tax-free munis are very safe and give a better return than money markets. What isthat old rule of thumb, something like 100-age=% in stocks, rest in bonds? I think it was recently updated to 120-age=....

I recently quit my job and should be retiring in Latin America or Southeast Asia in the next few months. May even buy into a Dive shop. My financial adviser and I completely redid my portfolio, changing it from moderately aggressive to early retirement conservative/guaranteed income. Here's hoping for a return to high interest rates.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Your timing is better than that of those people who didn't like stocks at Dow 8000 and now are getting into the market at Dow 16,000.

10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I took the long term view and did not sell after the crash and lock in a loss. I actually put more in then. If the market was really low when I decided to I quit, I probably would have stayed another couple of years until the rebound. I am only 40, so although I no longer wished to continue my career, I could have easily done so if finances so dictated.

And for all of you who like the idea of pensions and defined benefits, those are great if the employer can afford it and if you stay at the job your whole life. My last employer had defined benefit. The employer put in about 6% and I put in about 6%. However even though the employer contribution was for my retirement, by not staying with that employer until retirement, I would forfeit half of my "account", their contribution. Had I had control of both contributions I would be leaving with more than double the amount of retirement funds from that job by getting the entire contribution and having had put it in higher paying investments. I am not necessarily knocking them. My employer has done a good job at funding retirement, managing the funds well, and not overpromising benefits. So those employees who stay until retirement will be take care of. No Detroit/San Jose issues here. But those who do not go the distance get screwed versus what they would have had in a self directed 401K with matching. Basically the people who leave early are subsidizing the people who stay. Great for some, bad for others.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three people getting married??!!!

Well, you can't say we weren't warned that letting Teh Ghey's marry each other would lead to this kind of thing. Next thing you know, someone's gonna want to marry a shoe...

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Why buy the cow when you can have the leather for free?:p

song219 and YankHibee repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's a good way of putting the matter.

14. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Surely the employer contribution was intended to be an inducement to stay rather than an entitlement, however?

15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Mebbe. But the reality of the traditional pension system is as he wrote, a wealth transfer from the mobile/restless worker to the company man.

My parents fit into the former group, so I know how the good old days played out. They didn't have diddly for retirement.

16. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's possible. in the case of my dad he got fired three weeks before qualifying for his 20 year pension... a common occurrence if fact in that wonderfully paternalistic company.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Christ. That's a life changer.

18. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    the teamsters were big on changing people's lives in those days.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What asshole company did that so I can boycott them?

Edit:Holy shit.

20. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Haas Bros. wholesale liquor distributor. mind you this was almost 40 years ago.

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sears did that to the woman who lived next door to us when I was growing up. As well as to a friend's dad a couple blocks away. They would also give favored employees (i.e. Those who worked long enough to retire) their pension in a lump sum rather than in monthly payments. The courts, eventually, did not smile upon them.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #72 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Everything about Sears blows. My dad with the sparkling credit only had an issue with one store - Sears. Said he paid late. He paid the entire amount due & never patronized them again.

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a few changes (I did a search on social security, this is the first thread that popped up, sorry for the bump).

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ly-help-people-save-for-retirement-2019-12-17

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2020/01/18/americas-pensions-system-is-now-less-of-a-mess

24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The people I know who study retirement issues say that this provision is aimed at the wealthy -- to permit them to defer taxes, thereby increasing the size of their estate. It's not aimed at the average worker, because nobody believes there will be many "working stiffs" who not only have a full-time job after age 70 1/2, but who are able to put money away on the side.

Most savings/investment legislation is directed at the fortunate few, particularly if sponsored by Republicans. But of course you knew that.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a reason on why this was"bipartisan"