Should Soccer be banned in Rome?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by madhoman, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    No more football for AS would be very harsh because of an action by just one crazy person. I think disqualifying them this year will be good enough...

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think they should be forced to play at an alternative venue for the ret of the comp, but not be expelled.

BTW it is AS Roma, not AC.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Make 'em play home games at Giants Stadium in NYC. :)

4. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Moving them somewhere else only hurts the supporters, most of which did nothng wrong. Just a few jerks cause troube. if anything Roma needs to tighten security and proclaim zero tolerance for troublemakers. It could cost them more dearly in the future.

5. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I agree that Dynamo should get the win and Roma should be fined ... but there is no way they should be kicked out of Champions League !!!

If this was a big riot then yes but it was just one stuiped fan ... one fan cant ruin a whole city's team like that , especially in the Champions League where Roma are aiming for to solve their financial problems ;)

6. dela

dela New Member

May 14, 2004
    on the right flank
    I've been to Stadio Olimpico for the 2001 Roma / Lazio derby and I must say, the place was scary as hell for an American visitor.

And, I think we all know the terrible things that can happen there on account of the fans... does the 2004 derby ring any bells? (Thank God I wasn't there for that fiasco!)

However, I don't think the team nor it's responsible fans should be deprived of the amazing energy one can experience while suppoting their beloved teams in this venue.

My opinion... before you punish the team and the overwhelming amount of fans who actually DO behave, they should put more attention towards higher security and crowd control. It sounds impossible, but I've experienced more security measures at an American Football game... and we all know the passion doesn't even compare to what you'll find at Stadio Olimpico.

How you implement such a thing is a different story. :(

7. dela

dela New Member

May 14, 2004
    on the right flank
    Now THAT sounds like a plan! ;)

8. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES!!!!

AC ROMA should never play a game again! ******** them and all four of their fans!

9. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    I suggest UEFA ban Roma from CL for 2-year.

10. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    A little perspective is needed here. There are far worst scenes at Galatasaray, with nothing more than slapped wrists occasionally. English clubs were banned following Heysel, which is incomparable to what happened this week.

Besides which, you ban soccer in Rome and you really are going to see riots. The fan concerned should be arrested, charged and banned for life from all football stadiums in Italy. Problem solved.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh so the Italians might actually have to do what they've been told? So what if the fans don't like getting kicked out - they weren't meant to. It's time to punish the masses - it's always worked in whatever situation. It's time to make everyone answerable to that fan's actions. Of course this all hinges upon the Italians not to get irate and merely blame UEFA for kicking them out and not the initial action of the fan - so of course we might be on a loser. Nevertheless, taking the 'oh it's not fair to punish everyone' route is a road to nowhere - I say punish everyone, let them feel hard-done by, let them take their anger out on those who caused the game to be abandoned.
    Every English club was banned from Europe after the actions of Liverpool fans - was that fair? No. It was about mass punishment to hit the message home. And for the most part it has worked - obviously there are other factors that helped. Yes there's a need for increased security but you can't stop people throwing things at the ref by frisking them at the entrance - it's got to be in the common mind that doing this will jeopardise the future of the club - especially if it happens in the lucrative European arena.
    Punish the fan in question, the fans in general, the club - don't go soft on this or we get a Turkish situation where the piss is constantly taken.

12. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    I can see where your coming from. But Roma isn't the only club in the CL that has nasty fans, and the referee was to certain extent unlucky to get injured as the fans are constantly throwing missiles but it's rare to see anyone on the pitch get badly hit.

I'm sure the majority of Roma fans are just as appalled at what happened as the rest of us (although that referee was the wanker that got us thrown out of Euro 2004, maybe they should set fire to it first next time :D ).

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    The problem in Italy is the the hooligans are actually considered important people at the club. When Milan played Roma last season Totti was chatting to the head of the ultras at the side of the pitch and this was after all the trouble with a child supposedly being run over by the police. Roma have a history of trouble and should pay the penalty.

Having said that, when Fiorentina were banned from playing at home a few years ago a fan of them thrw a bomb onto the pitch at the alternative venue of Salernitana..

14. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should Roma find a new venue? NO. The venue is not the problem, the fans (and not all of them) are! Best thing to do is force them to play the rest of the champions league matches in an empty stadium.

15. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    Giants Stadium, Cotton Bowl, Gilette... LOL!

16. Winston Smith

Winston Smith New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    London
    The perfect punishment. Make Roma play in MLS next season.

17. modernpiracy

modernpiracy New Member

Jun 8, 2002
    chicago
    last season i saw lazio/perugia at the stadio. my friend and i not only brought in full backpacks (of clothes) but he had an oversized saftey pin on his beltloop holding his keys. nothing was said of the saftey pin and our bags weren't even opened! they even post signs saying you can't bring in plastic screw on caps, because people recap the bottles (caps taken by vendor) and throw them. the game was cool, but totally nuts and not even the derby.

18. dienasty

dienasty New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Silent Earth
    This is a pretty tough situation, it is kind of a tough love situaion but I think that if Roma can't have champions league then that robs them of alot of revenue. I really think that it is a security thing, they threw beer bottles at referees a few seasons ago in Cleveland I think at an NFL game and now they have to have plastic beer bottles. I think that it is an issue of security really. But they do need to punish Roma somewhat, change of venue is appropriate I think, so that fans everywhere will think twice before they do something stupid like that. Of course I am sure that the Roma fans will disagree about the whole change of venue idea.

19. dela

dela New Member

May 14, 2004
    on the right flank
    That was not against Milan BTW. They were playing Lazio in their March, 2004 derby.

FREE A.S. ROMA!!

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Leave everything the way it is.

21. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I suggest some people try and inform themselves a lot better about what's going on and where it's going on before coming up with utterly worthless topics like this.

22. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA
    Whatever happens don't let Jim Rome get wind of it.

23. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Sorry, I think I have Milan on the brain.

24. FCBasel1893

FCBasel1893 New Member

May 7, 2003
    Basel, Switzerland
    100% agreed.