should Puerto Rico focus on CONCACAF Gold Cup ?

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by w-inds., Jan 29, 2008.

1. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    Puerto Rico even didn't play in past Caribbean Cup qualifiers...

if they want to show their improvement, they should play in Caribbean Cup qualifiers & try to qualify for CONCACAF Gold Cup...

2. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    They probably will play in the Carib Qualy for the gold cup this year.

3. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    about time

4. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    they will not play in 2008 Caribbean Cup qualifiers

5. anitnegra

anitnegra New Member

Jan 9, 2001
    new york city
    How do you know this?

6. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Story:

http://caribbeanfootballunion.org/cms2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=198&Itemid=1

Fixtures:

http://ttffonline.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=308&Itemid=27

It looks like 20 nations will compete.

7. UMass

UMass New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Boston
    Thanks for the links.
    Can any PR fan tell us why Puerto Rico did not enter? Maybe the Islanders schedule would run into the matches and the Islanders...at this point are more important than the national team. Does anyone know?
    Thanks

8. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Probably since the coach, and a core group of players are from the Islanders. As PR attracts some of its talent in the USA and over seas we may say a participation in the Gold Cup, in future year.

WE probably need a new coach so that Clark can focus on the Islanders, but for this year at least Clark has double duties.

9. UMass

UMass New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Boston
    I have read numerous articles about the Islanders and Clark. sounds like he is doing a fine job down there. I realized PR just beat the Dom Rep in qualifing and now they have Honduras next. This is their immediate goal however I was very interested how whey stack up against the rest of the Caribbean. They did not enter the Caribbean Cup 2008. Could you explain why they did not, I did not understand you reply.
    Thanks Cheers

10. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Its probably a combination of two things, first the federation is probably spent economically with all the friendlies and bringing players from the USA and overseas, to really put any effort in this competition. After Honduras the budget is probably gonna be even tighter seeing as the PRNT is actively courting their MLS and Bundesliga 2 players and some of them will probably be present. If your not very aware of the situation of the PR fed, but they are basically one of the poorest federations in the region, due to past corruption scandals and the lack of interest of the sport up till now. Having to pay all does travel expenses, players, coaches, it would just overwhelmed the federation financially.

The other problem I see is that the Islanders could be possibly in the new CL and in the CFU Club Championship during the same time as this competition, there could be a huge problem with the team if basically half their starters and their coach and assistant coach have to go on international duty during one of this tournaments. The PR federation cant risk basically having the team that single handedly made soccer a common name on the Island be in a decrepit state for two very important competitions. Plus all the complains they would receive from the teams owners.

Thnx to the results against DR, there been a influx of sponsor but the fed is probably betting on having a good showing against Honduras to really start bringing in some money into their coffers. In the next couple of years your probably gonna start seeing PR increasingly participating on a International level.

Serralta's goals after this year should be focusing more on putting a good showing in the Caribbean and Gold Cup.

I hope this answerers your question.

11. UMass

UMass New Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Boston
    Thanks Intru..it did.

We will be watching the progress of Puerto Rico from afar
    Cheers.