Should only sovereign nations be allowed to be FIFA members? (Update: Kosovo & Gibraltar join FIFA)

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by shizzle787, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I wanted to answer you neutrally but I'll still answer to your last point even if it's getting too political for me.

There is indeed racism and discriminations in France, that's sadly obvious, our country is full of flaws, but it would be exaggerated to believe it is a hell in which everyone hates one another. As a matter of fact,, most people do live quite well their dual citizenship and don't feel any identity crisis because of it. Football players are no exception, and the large majority of them only pick a national team out of the opportunities which are afford to them, they don't have a political message.

As a matter of fact, French people are very proud that we were the nation the most represented as a place of birth during last World Cup. It's not because Adrien Silva or Anthony Lopes decided to play for Portugal that it means they hate France and that the country hates him in return. This is true for all the players born in France who picked another team.

Rickdog repped this.
  2. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ok, accepted.
    I only wanted to point out clearly, that I don't have "hidden" thoughts on this, and as you perfectly posted in your other post, there is really no need to put much into it, as this has never been about politics or anything like it.

Actually, they can't, as it is France whom is holding them down on this, where FIFA will not say anything if it gets to this.

Here with this last point, it is you the one mixing things.
    Players whom have chosen allegiance to one team, under FIFA rules, can't play for another (even if it is only at confederational level). Doesn't depend if for whom they chose to initially play for, doesn't need them any longer, they are now free to play for whomever else wants it to. Once a team is chosen by a player, should stay as it, for life (unless they file a special exemption directly at FIFA, before even touching the ball under a new banner). This is the whole point about eligibilty of players at national team football.

F. Malouda, should have known this, before even attempting to play for another national team at an official tournament.
    At a "friendly" fixture, he can play even for the Disneyland team, or for whomever he wants.

Exactly.

For the case being, if they still have doubts, at young levels they can play for any team they want as long as they fill full requirements to do so; they can even change teams as they grow, but when they get to be a senior player (over 23 years old), they must accept to have allegiance to only one team.

3. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    It might be the Dutch territories that are being discussed but I doubt FIFA is looking for new members for two reasons. First, the ExCo approved an extra $1M for every FA for development during every for year cycle (from $5M to $6M). That means an extra $211M allocated to pay every current FA, plus an additional $6M for every new member. Secondly, during the 'golden age' of FIFA expansion, there was the sporting version of the Cold War going on with the Olympics, with both FIFA and the IOC vying for sporting supremacy. That battle has long been won by FIFA, both in terms of membership and relevance. That means FIFA doesn't need expansion, and the corruption in the smaller FAs like the Caribbean and the OFC hasn't helped prospective members. That's why FIFA is rejecting even independent countries like Tuvalu and Kiribati over indirect issues such as inadequate hotel accomodations.

4. korsarz222

korsarz222 New Member

May 24, 2010
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    jagum repped this.
  7. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Well, if they do actually become a FIFA member, I certainly hope that they will actually play. Their record on that in previous AFC tournaments they were eligible to enter as associate members is not great...

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's part of the confusion (here I'm addressing the specific brouhaha at the 2017 Gold Cup): they weren't friendly fixtures.

He played with French Guiana in the Caribbean Cup, and the Caribbean Football Union raised no objection. On top of that, I mean, it's MALOUDA - no one at Concacaf noticed his name on the Yana Dokos' preliminary squad and thought to warn them of the eligibility issue before the tournament began?

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Paul Calixte and r0adrunner repped this.