Should I beat my son?

Discussion in 'Parenting & Family' started by bojendyk, Sep 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    So who's going to start the "Should I beat my wife" thread?

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Thank you! :)

I'm in deep smit with her.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Whoever does it won't be married. We all know who gets the beatings. :)

Sachin

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or for true irony the "Should I stop beating my wife" thread....

5. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Whose going to start the "When can I stop living in fear of my wife snapping and beating the living shit out of me." thread.

I used to think there were a few very inopportune moments to bring up the wrong subject with my wife.....then we had a child. You know that moment when you start to say something and can't stop even though your brain is saying "Shut the ******** up!"

6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I call those moments "me talking."

7. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    20 years in the slammer might pound some sense into him, though

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you know, of course, that the big spiders are much less toxic than little ones.

maybe lock them in a closet with about 12 ounces worth of spiders...:eek:

9. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    NO!!! just forget about that!! don't get angry with me, but it's a completely stupid question.
    you should never beat your children or your wife and always talk to them instead, you can shout, throw plates and glasses, even swear.

You just have to remember that you will never ever have problems with your kids as long as YOU raise them good people and tell them what's good and what's bad. always take time to explain things and actions.

10. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I was a kid, I think I got spanked two or three times. I remember one that my dad didn't remember, but he remembered one instance that I definitely did not remember (I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing). Suffice it to say, I was being a little jackass and was standing on the streetside of our curb. My dad told me that under no circumstances that I should ever go out onto the street alone. Being a little bastard, I kept putting one foot or the other onto the street when my dad wasn't looking. Clearly I was goofing around, and my dad played along with it after awhile, but then I started really going too far, and my dad told me to stop. When I didn't...well, yeah, I got a firm spanking. My dad actually regrets spanking me in that instance, but I told him to forget it, since I obviously neither cared nor remembered, and told him that I probably deserved it.

It seems that most of the time my parents punished us (me and my three sisters) via spanking it was because we directly disobeyed their order and, in some cases, in a way that could down the road be detrimental to our safety (as in my case, where my dad clearly never wanted me to go out alone onto the street again). Parents ought to be careful with their use of corporal punishment, but they also ought to be firm with their kids no matter what kind of punishment they decide on. By the time I hit about seven or eight years old, it was enough for my dad to yell at me before I was in tears and he realized that what he'd done was enough. The last time it happened I must've been about eleven or twelve, and I slammed a door in my dad's face. I got a yelling like I'd never had before, and I vowed I'd never get in that kind of trouble with my parents again. I didn't.

11. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    What about throwing glasses at them, would that be ok?

12. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    you messing around or being serious?

13. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    We should all be messing around in this thread. If you are being serious, please get some professional help.

Sachin

14. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    interesting... a valant waarior comes to defend the opressed and the poor

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should never beat children bo. You should, however (my opinion follows) plan on disciplining them from time to time to amplify the words that you will utilize that provide them guidance. Far too many parents allow their children to range far out of control; perhaps these children are well meaning but they seem to lack discipline. I have observed some parents exerting control with simple expressions; others lack any sort of control whatsoever. Therefore, I full support parents discipling their children to keep 'em in line. Insofar as the "beating" you suggest, however, if you manage to raise your children and are lucky enough to have them respect you, the "beating" and indeed even the "discipline" may not be necessary.

Good luck with the imminent birth...

I do hope you plan to name him after our current president; if you are unlucky and have a girl then Barbara is a good name too...

16. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Jokes aside...

Beat? No

Smack? Yes

17. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
    Good to see they let you back out ITN. I missed your witty remarks.

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Just out of curiosity: In germany physical punishment against children is outlawed, the kids can sew his parents... what are the laws in different countries? I think here in the NLs they are thinking about getting such a law but haven't yet, but I may be wrong.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sew them together? that seems harsh. ;)

20. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Should I beat my son?

Dumbest question. Period.

21. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England
  22. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.

Yes, I was beaten. Now I do not believe in beating a kid, but a kid should definitely be smacked to the point of crying when deserved. Talking should be the first resort, spending more time with your kids and devoting more of yourself to them will do wonders to stop the need to hit them, but spankings can definitely be deserved. I can't imagine growing up without being hit, weirds me out when people say they were NEVER hit.

I am not sure about girls, although I bet it would work on them too, but guys definitely need it in some cases. A nice spank to teach them their place followed by a nice talk figuring out why they did what they did, why it was wrong, letting them know you love them, etc. Key is moderation, I am not for the extremes of beating or the extremes of letting your kids get away with murder.

Parenting aside, from personal experiences I definitely agree with hitting. I know it could ******** up other people, but it worked for me. As much as it sucked, getting beaten up by my brother or my dad made me tough (especially from my brother). Not tough only in the fighting sense, but mentally.

Johan, if you are going to hit your kids ever, make sure you don't under-do it, which is not to say to over-do it. My mom tried hitting me a few times and most of the time I would have to pretend to be hurt so she felt better-lol. I tried hitting my little sister once (damn does that girl deserve it), but I pussied out and barely hit her and I think she laughed-haha.

23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Spankings kept me alive. In fact I am pretty certain spankings, to this day, would still have a positive outcome on me.

24. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed pints. I am now trying to become my own man, but I could use a slap every now and then to straighten up.

25. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I could have used a couple whoopings between 21-23.
    One really good one at the age of 26 and another one around 30.

If my wife would buy a leather cat suit I would let her beat me on a daily basis.