Sheanon Williams plus international spot acquired

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by juvechelsea, Jul 23, 2015.

1. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is just way too confusing,

How could we sign him as a DP if we didn't have a slot.

How could he play in the USOC as a sub if he was not occupying a slot.

Please enlighten

2. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sign Torres but don't activate him until he arrives and you have an I-Spot available.

MLS, CCL, USOC, Copa Libertadores and the such are ran as separate "leagues". They have their own rules. Hence, you can have a player that's cup tied but still available on the roster for regular season games. If that makes any sense.

3. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that's right... I think we acquired another Int. Spot to sign that young scottish midfield OC wants.

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I would assume that this is something we got away with because of the loan, we sign him and fill roster space but have to make space available to activate. I would assume MLS in the case of immediate signings probably makes this all occur roughly contemporaneous, considering the potential for abuse or for a bind to occur that no one would help them out of. Let's say we sign Torres now, have no spot, no one wants to deal, we now have an extra player. If you let us use them or even roster them, abuse of rule. You'd force the hand. I imagine the loan is what makes this weird.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The basis is per Lovell the reporter. He could be wrong but it's a reporter saying it. The test would be if we sign McGinn now without further moves. If that happens you're right and Lovell and us missed it.

The MLS article references the arrival of Torres as a reason and not the need to sign McGinn.

6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No, I have the press release. It was for Cubo. This is why Cubo did not dress for the RSL game. He was inactive, no international slot. USOC roster rules are different from MLS. You can use anyone on your roster regardless of status (including trialists). Capped at 5 international players in the 18, however.

7. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, man, I'm gonna have to say that DynamoManiac and Darrell are right. If not McGinn would be signed....like an hour ago.

8. DeuceFive

DeuceFive Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Is the Lil Scot still here training with the team?