SF: July 10 France vs Belgium [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by tudobem62014, Jul 6, 2018.

1. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Protect yourselves at all times
    Keep it clean
    No racism or discrimination based on creed, color, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, age, or gender

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Henry mentoring Belgium against his own country :eek:

Deep Wilcox repped this.
  3. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Just saying I called France winner of the World Cup in 2018... on August 13, 2014
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/what-next-football-wise.2008401/page-2

Val1 repped this.
  4. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Kinda cool seeing these two multicultural teams making the semi together! Here’s to the metaphor for working together. Playing Jason Derulo’s Colors song.

5. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  6. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  7. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Belgium weren't better than Brazil, but they managed a lucky early goal that made the biggest difference and then stole a second with Brazil pressing men forward. They played smarter than Brazil and their success over Brazil is owed largely to Martinez, Courtois' size and presence in goal, and the sheer power and pace of Hazard, De Bruyne and Lukaku.

France too were lucky to see Rojo injured and then Cavani. Rojo's injury undid the Argentine defense. Cavani's injury undid Uruguay's potency upfront. France also grabbed a lucky goal against Uruguay that made the difference.

You need a bit of luck to win the World Cup and I expect the only thing to separate these two teams to come down to luck or something really special. It's too bad this game couldn't be the final itself.

TheHitman47 and tudobem62014 repped this.
  8. ShaRule

ShaRule Member

May 5, 2005
    Belgium - Iran
    You call it luck I call it better team ans tactics. Why is it that if a striker scores goals the team is great but if a Goalie saves shots its luck??
    A goalie is part of a team of 11 players jusy like a striker of a midfielder is.

And brazil had alot of non dangerous shots. Belgium hazard shot had to be 0-3.
    Brazil mostly could not pierce trhough lile they ecentually could against mexico and costa rica.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  9. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    It may be the winners don’t credit “luck” enough but the losers make up for it by blaming luck too often.

10. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    There always is a bit of luck involved in just about every major sports success stories. It's part of the game.

11. Sharkidinho

Sharkidinho Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually picked these two teams to get to this point based on their play during the group stage. I think both teams have played well and are well stacked with great players. Having said all that, there can be only one to advance and it will be Belgium I think. They have looked the strongest team and I believe that they will ultimately take home the Cup. I'm really looking forward to the games.

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MOD WARNING:
    (this is a warning, not a note)

A not-so-friendly reminder: we're all here for the football. Keep the discussion on the match. Over the past week we have had excitable matches such as Sweden v. Switzerland and excitable matches such as England v. Colombia. Passion is a great thing, but when it comes to trolling, personal attacks, racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, etc., the passion has gone too far. If your passion has gotten the best of you, expect your posting privileges to be revoked to some lesser or greater degree. We have been extremely tolerant of overly passionate posts, but that time is coming to an end.

We want all of you to post well, with respect and responsibility. If you feel a poster is not posting with respect and responsibility, report that post. We try to deal with it immediately, but we, too, have lives, so don't go into a fit if it is not dealt with immediately. And don't take the law into your own hands.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy the match!

The Moderators of Big Soccer

13. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Either of these teams could win. Belgium has played the more attractive brand of football so I will support them. Hazard IMO has been the player of the tournament thus far.

ShaRule repped this.
  14. RealMadridEng

RealMadridEng Member

Real Madrid
    England
    Jun 27, 2018
    I think Belgium will win. France haven’t been too convincing so far

ShaRule repped this.
  15. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not a strong preference, but I'd like Belgium to get through to their first final. They have been the more exciting team to watch: can be brilliant like against Brazil, or on the brink of disaster like against Japan. They have caught a few breaks too, and champions often need a measure of that.

Deep Wilcox and ShaRule repped this.
  16. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Purely for selfish reasons I would like to see France win. If England were to get past Croatia, I think Belgium would be the tougher opponents. Hazard would cause serious problems to England on his own against defenders he has beaten many times in the EPL. In terms of pure talent I think he is the best player left in the world cup.

Ignoring that, I think France or Belgium would be a worthy winner of the world cup. I'd like to see Belgium win it though, if it isn't England. Mbappe's time will come in the future.

ShaRule repped this.
  17. ghost101

ghost101 Member

Jul 5, 2009
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  18. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Belgium plays some shaky defense and the GK may not save them every game.

Good manager matchup...he who makes the best adjustments will be well positioned.

Martinez had a good day last game, we’ll see if he changes back or stays with Fellaini etc

19. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    I think France will win easily for just one reason: Belgium's players are celebrating Brazil's win like they have already won the world cup. Plus Martinez is doing interviews talking about his genius in the last game instead of focusing in the next difficult game. These are never good signs, too much "we are just happy to be here" vibes.

Edwardinho and tudobem62014 repped this.
  20. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You mean on the field after the win? It was the biggest win in Belgian history. What would you expect them to do?

BTW, they celebrated just as much after the win over Japan. Didn't seem to hurt them against Brazil. :x3:

tudobem62014 and ShaRule repped this.
  21. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    Not on the field, that is okay and expected, I mean on the tone of the postgame interviews and on their social media after the game, with too much euphoria.

And why is the manager talking at lenght about the last game to reporters just three days before the world cup semifinal instead of focusing on France?

They have won nothing. Do they want to win the world cup or just bask in the glory of "the greatest win in Belgium history" in a world cup QF? Focus is very important when evenly matched teams play in a pressure environment. I would bet on France if I was gambling in this game.

22. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Brazil did not learn much from 2014. They also played their best game against Germany in terms of football, dribbling, passing, technical, moves. Unfortunately, they received 5 goals within 10 minutes. It was not that bad against Belgium. But Brazil also played well against Belgium. But they defended badly twice. And that's enough on this level. That was punished. This has something to do with quality. At this level, the opponents exploit the mistakes.

Who convinced me more about both teams?
    France played very well against Argentina and rather weak against Uruguay.
    Belgium played weak against Japan. Or rather, Japan was well adjusted.
    Belgium played great against Brazil. Brazil was superior. But that does not mean that Belgium was bad. In terms of fighting tactics it was a great achievement.

23. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, don't really know what you're talking about. The two interviews I saw (Courtois, Lukaku), they both said it was a great win over Brazil, but now they had to focus on France. I'm not sure what you saw.

24. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

That doesn't make any sense. Also as far a quality, across the field, Brazil has more players of that high standard.

25. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Brazil has more high standard players than which other team? Germany, France, Belgium? Not sure that is the case. It could be argued England has as many high standard players.

Germany proved it isn't the number of quality players alone. The quality of the team was poor.