SF #1 USA vs Argentina June 21st [R]

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by sidspaceman, Jun 19, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And you always argue stupid things.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Who cares?

3. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You have The argument !

I don't undertand the agression @sidspaceman

4. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why is it so hard for you to admit that you are wrong?

pepinointer repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is accuracy. Not aggression.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Because I am not wrong.

7. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I don't think there is any doubt that they respect Argentina. But respect them too much? C'mon. If you look at the tournament history of the US vs. UEFA and CONMEBOL sides, the pattern is that the US tends to play the tightest/with too much respect when they are in a situation where they haven't achieved their expectations but they are still very much in play. Situations where they aren't desperate, but they aren't comfortable either.

WC2002: thought they could get out of group, but thought their points would come v. S Korea and Poland in group games 2 and 3. So they weren't afraid to try stuff v. Portugal in the opener. Went out and shocked Portugal, then played really tight v. Poland and lost. Snuck through anyway. Once they got to the quarters, this was pretty much a bonus game. Played great v. Germany in quarters.

WC2006: group advancement was the goal with pts likely to come v Czech and Ghana. Put themselves in a hole losing 3-0 to Czech giving too much space/respect. They were pretty much toast with nothing to lose. Drew the eventual champion Italy the next match not giving an inch.

Confed Cup 2009: thought they could sneak out of the group as 3rd, gave too much respect to ITA and BRA and got beat soundly their first two matches. Once they snuck through anyway, they were playing with house money. They beat Spain and took a two goal lead v. Brazil in the final before losing 3-2.

WC2010: played confidently because the group gave them enough room to breathe anyway. Sure, there was pressure to get out of group, but there were multiple paths given the opposition that time.

WC2014: quarters was the realistic goal. Had comfort v. Portugal on the strength of 3 pts v. GHA the prior game and Portugal's demolition at the hands of Germany. Then played very tight giving space and fighting for goal difference v. Germany the next game. Then they played tight again v. BEL in R16 because they were one match away from quarters (the realistic goal). Once they went down 2 goals and got back to the desperation zone, they found their edge again.

Copa: same story all over again. Bad outing v. COL. Solid games the rest of the group because they were pushed into a corner, even though they were down a man v. Paraguay. Played tight in quarters which was effectively their "championship". Now they are on house money again. The rest of the tournament is gravy. They may get blown out. They may give Argentina a match. With the players they have missing, it will be even more difficult. But there is no pressure. It will be interesting to see how they line up. The team has already suggested that they learned from the BEL game at WC2014. Beckerman is looking slower by the minute. They may be forced to play with more offensive firepower with Pulisic and Nagbe anyway.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina of course has offensive players who can just magically make something out of nothing. Moments of brilliance.
    So of course most people should expect Argentina to win because of that but we have to play the game. Upsets occur and the USA can pull it off. They have a fighter's chance in Houston.

10. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In the confed cup 2009 for example it was Spain pre2010, that spain that had a long history of coming with strong squads and chocking in knockout, you cant compare that to an Argentina that has two finals under their belt.
    This Argentina team is not only strong on paper but well seasoned, thats what makes them even harder, Chile managed to beat them in a final because they were at home and they have an amazing squad plus they have world cup experience.

11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That Spanish team hadn't lost a official game in a long time and was coming off winning the Euro.

12. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah but they had a long history of choking in key moments. Besides that spanish team didnt had as much experience as this argentina team

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice try!

14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    A long history of choking in key moments. Sounds like something I've heard about another team with a big history that's on a title drought. Spain was good. Probably the best team in the world at that time with players on the best clubs in the world. Just like this Argentina team. Argentina is heavily favored. They should win. On talent alone, it shouldn't be close. But there isn't any real pressure on this USA team. No reason to give too much respect, because there's nothing to lose here.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regardless of what ESPN's SPI might say (I have no idea I haven't seen it) The USA has <10% chance of winning.

It would take some SERIOUS good luck. Like Argentina getting 2 players ejected early in the match and we play 11-on-9 for most of the time.

That said, as a fan, you gotta believe! Ahead of every match. That's the way I approach my teams anyway.

16. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If this Argentina didnt had so much experience getting into finals, I wouldnt be as sure for an Argentina win, because if US has proven something is to have mental strenght. You guys did it against Spain, or us back in 94 for example.

Forget about the names in the argentina squad, thats just part of it. I value a lot the mental part and the tradition, for example Italy squad had some questions while Belgium have a really good squad, but Italy characterize for knowing how to win in key moments

17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Obviously the USA is the underdog but to make statements like it would take 11 v. 9 most of the match for the USA to win is absurd.

The U.S. have only conceded 3 goals this tournament... 1 pk and two set piece mistakes.... if you can keep your opponent from scoring you've got a chance to nick one and win the game.

I'll be there on Tuesday and I won't give up proclaim the game dead unless Argentina gets two red cards in the first 10 minutes :rolleyes:

18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Because he has insecurity problems. Not coincidence

19. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  20. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who is replacing jermaine jones?

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More than likely Kyle Beckerman.

pepinointer repped this.
  22. Zasal2000

Zasal2000 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Argentina has been playing well, but not as well as their record might show.

If USA can avoid giving up an early or dumb goal, they can win this match.

The longer it goes the more the trauma of back to back finals defeats will rear its head against Argentina, the more tired the players will get (since they all play deep into the season and carry tons of minutes), and the more Messi-dependent they will become. That's when Argentina is at their worse.

Even Venezuela showed that Argentina can be attacked with pace and strength, which the US has.

I have a feeling the US will win it, though the more rational part of me has Argentina winning 2-0.

For sure it will be a competitive match.

23. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I think you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from. I'm not saying the U.S. will win. They have a mathematical chance, but I put their odds lower than the oddsmakers. What I am saying is that the reason they lose will not be because they give ARG too much deference/respect. When the U.S. plays bigger teams with nothing to really lose in competitive matches, they are generally much more composed. The pressure comes off and they aren't typically a tight team.

If they concede too much space, it will be down to a poor tactical decision by Klinsmann much the same way as Belgium last WC. He started Cameron to get certain lateral range on the outside and the space between the back line and midfield got shredded. This time the big question will be Beckerman. Does he have enough to physically perform in the middle v Argentina? The mental side isn't the issue. It's issues technical/physical/general familiarity replacements may have with the other 8.

24. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems near certainty that Beckerman comes in. That's probably good from a defensive point of view. But we still have to score, so we'll need some attacking creativity out of MF.

I'm still a little bit hopeful. But I still think that going into this match our probability of advancing is very very low.