Serie A Clubs in Europe 2016/17

Discussion in 'Italy' started by shizzle787, May 25, 2016.

1. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juventus-Pot 1 in the CL group stage My predictions: anywhere from semifinalist to champions
    Napoli-Pot 2 in the CL group stage My predictions: either R16 or QF exit
    Roma-Playoff Round in CL My predictions: anywhere from drop into EL and R16 exit or CL R16 exit
    Inter-Pot 1 or 2 in EL group stage My predictions: anywhere from R32 exit to champions
    Fiorentina-Pot 1 or 2 in EL group stage My predictions: anywhere from R32 exit to champions
    Sassuolo-3rd Q Round in EL My predictions: anywhere from 3QR exit to R16 in EL

2. BobanFan

BobanFan Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Basically the CL teams need to top their group to avoid Barca/Bayern/Real in the R16 matches.

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  3. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Think Juve will make bare minimum the semi's this year. A summer of strengthening for a team that nearly knocked out Bayern in a transition year will do a world of good.

Napoli may surprise a few. I think Sarri's Napoli is above the Napoli a few years ago that tied with Arsenal and Dortmund on points (the same Dortmund that went to the final I believe); Think they have what it takes to make some kind of run. If I were them, I wouldn't be afraid of a team like Real Madrid in the least. Madrid look woefully average and if Roma actually could finish, Real wouldn't even be in the final right now. Add that to the fact that Napoli already has strengthened their defence and play some very fluid attacking football; should do something.

Roma is a toss up. One moment they can go head to head with almost any team, and the next they get smashed. I'm leaving it as a coin toss.

Inter (disgusting club); probably QF/Semi-finals of EL. Then they won't take it seriously and bow out to a weaker team.

Sassuolo I think will surprise a few, even without Berardi. They have Sensi now, who is arguably better than Verratti at the same age, and majority of the core of their team is still in tact. Could be a Sevilla like team for Italy who mostly use the domestic talent and do well in Europa.

Fiorentina are chokers so I don't expect much from them.

totti fan and Deleted User x repped this.
  4. sorin boeangiu

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #4 sorin boeangiu, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Napoli weren't able to defeat Villareal so I don't think they will get very far in Champions League, which is full of teams of Villareal's calibre..also Roma doesn't usually perform very well in Europe. They might play against Villareal or Monchengladbach in CL play-off..Sassuolo might be last season's Sampdoria. Fiorentina didn't stand a chance against a Tottenham B team. Juve could have a weaker side if Morata and Pogba depart and don't even get me started about Inter..I'm not too optimistic, the Italian season in Europe two years ago might be the exception and not the norm, unfortunately.

5. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can the playoff teams make it to the group stage this year FFS ??
    This is what ruins it for Italian coefficients. I think in the last 5 years All but Milan have lost their playoffs. England did good last year so its time Italians make it up this year. At least get to semis of EL somehow.

6. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Napoli were in the middle of a title fight when they faced Villarreal so I think they can be excused for taking Serie A more seriously than the EL.

7. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Napoli rested their entire starting 11 against Villareal to focus on the league, and they still only lost because of a lucky goal.

Doesn't matter. Roma still has quality, and talented young players coming in. Like I said, if they could even have a semblance of finishing ability, beating the likes of Real Madrid is entirely possible.

Sassuolo are a tier ahead of Sampdoria. Better system, better coach and more talented players.

Fiorentina actually dominated the first leg against Tottenham, just couldn't finish. And that was the Spurs first team.

Pogba is going nowhere. I don't care about your optimism because it's clear you're a pessimist. Be gone.

8. sorin boeangiu

May 2, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I guess time will tell us. I hope you're right.

9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Yup and yup

10. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    To add on, the links with Lapadula (30 goals and 11 assists this season in Serie B) and Juve are apparently loaning Mandragora as well to Sassuolo. If that happens, Sassuolo will be very good.

Lapadula being fed by Sensi, while Mandragora brings stability and Sansone provides pace on the wing. Rogerio at LB and assuming they keep Vrsjalko; they'll be deadly in Europa. More than makes up for the loss of Berardi.

Rosay repped this.
  11. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They have no European experience at player or coach level. I do hope they perform well, there is a chance. A small one. I'm just worried what it will do to their league performance.

12. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Best case scenario is that Roma drop to the EL and then push deep with Inter and Viola. Sassuolo is a fairy tale situation. If Napoli get some depth they could maybe get to R16 but their chances are better in the EL as well. All these teams should just focus on the EL and make sure Italy gets the 4th spot back. Next few years they can compete for CL again, maybe....

sorin boeangiu repped this.
  13. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    European experience means jack. Nobody on that Liverpool side had any yet they still made the final.

Rosay repped this.
  14. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be why they won the final against the team that won it the previous years.

Falc and phat repped this.
  15. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    They're a mid-table team. I wouldn't worry about them slipping lower than that.

16. phat

phat Viking

Feb 13, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The point is that they will have to juggle going deep into the EL in March when they can't afford to drop points in Serie A. Chances are it won't happen.

17. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sassuolo have drawn Luzern (Switzerland) in the EL 3rd Qualifying Round. That could be tricky, but Sassuolo should get through.

Deleted User x repped this.
  18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Sassuolo should win. If they don't they don't deserve to be in Europa

19. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sass hasn't sold any stars, Switzerland is not far. No excuses for them

Rosay repped this.
  20. Baggionero

Baggionero Member+

Apr 23, 2015
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Berardi, Sensi and Sansone should have their way.

Rosay repped this.
  21. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sold Vrsaljko to Atletico Madrid, he was an excellent player for them.

Rosay repped this.
  22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sassuolo drew Luzern today in Swtizerland, 1-1

West Ham lost 2-1 to some no name Turkish team. Let's hope they crash out.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sassuolo is winning 2-0 at half-time, leading 3-1 on aggregate. Berardi has both goals.

So far West Ham is winning 2-0, leading 3-2 on aggregate.

24. InsigneForBalonD'or

Jul 16, 2014
    The 6ix
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even if both clubs win, it's better for us

25. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really, if West Ham lost they'd be out of Europe, which only hurts England because at that point dividing up their points would be x8 even though West Ham's not in it. If they qualify they have chances to win in the group stages, etc.