September USMNT Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Aug 28, 2019.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the correction!

Maxvall, gnk and DHC1 repped this.
  2. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I’ve had a liquid dinner but who’s a B2 player that I listed?

3. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I've gotten what you are saying, but:

1) Dest has shown in other games to actually be a plus defender (the Lainez game)

2) While mistakes on the back line are bad, neither Reggie Cannon or Nick Lima are going to make zero mistakes

3) A sample of effectively one U20 WC game with a mistake or two in it is hardly enough to determine that Dest is going to commit mistakes at a higher rate, especially than someone like Lima, who makes his fair share for the Quakes.

I don't necessarily agree but can't quibble with a solid backline. But my issue is that a very small sample has designated him a weakness. I've only seen him play about 6 or 7 games but he only looked shaky a couple of moments in the Ukraine game.

If one bad game is enough to damn you ... well, we're not fielding anyone in the defense.

TCS35 and largegarlic repped this.
  4. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima stinks and Cannon's ceiling...we'll see.

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    FWIW, yesterday's ExtraTime radio interviewed Berhalter. He compared Dest's and Pomykal's trajectory. He essentially said that Dest is playing at another level compared to Pomykal.He seems particularly impressed by Dest having won a starting position for a CL game where if Ajax loses they lose millions of dollars. Pomykal is playing at a lower level but he shows interesting characteristics.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=a...I4ZGM0NWNkOGFiY2Q&hl=en&ep=6&at=1567170805585

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can now stop using the U20 WC as the games that show his defensive prowess. Now that he's playing for Ajax then his Dutch league and Champions league games against adults is the better indicator. Against APOEL he was very good both ways. APOEL didn't attack a lot but he was up to every challenge. I like having Yedlin, Cannon and Dest plus any other challengers because it seems lately the US is having more injuries than they used to and that was a big factor in missing the WC last time. Now the drop off if someone is injured should be much less and Berhalter will have depth to game-plan which defender fits and opponent and rotating during qualifying and if we actually make the WC.

IndividualEleven and largegarlic repped this.
  7. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Funny thing is this sounds like exactly what a lot of people who dislike Berhalter would say about them and their situations.

largegarlic repped this.
  8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    keller4president and largegarlic repped this.
  9. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's why I push back on the whole "Berhalter is an MLS pawn" narrative. I think people are overreaching and trying to find patterns in a small sample set. Could it be possible? Sure. Is it remotely provable so far? No. Are there counterexamples? Yes. What's the verdict? Too soon to say.

tomásbernal repped this.
  10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Meanwhile, in the twitterverse it looks like Berhalter is gaining ground.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't know who would disagree with those comments or with the quotes associated to him in the Twellman tweet.

Dest is playing Champions League qualifiers with Ajax. This upcoming week Paxton Pomykal will be playing against FC Cincinnati.

I also think we've called up Dest at the right time. He couldnt' play with the group earlier as he was with the US U20s at the World Cup and had never played a first team game. Even to date he's only played 7 total first team games for Ajax.

The USSF has been aggressive with Dest. They made him a key player for their U17s in 2017, their U20s this year, and now have called him up to the USMNT. He's only 18 folks.

12. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    They have awarded Dest with more opportunities than the BigSoccer mob ever would have.
    He has advanced quickly and has been given a lot of responsibility within the US set up.

These facts should be allowed to resonate in the minds of those who incessantly criticize the US set up. They saw Dest just like Ajax did. US Soccer and Ajax saw Dest while the BigSoccer mob did not. A little humility would be nice around here every now and again.

13. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Berrhalter is doing a really good job at being transparent. I think he's doing a pretty good job in general. He has a vision, he's developing that vision intelligently and with intermittent goals, and he's giving players opportunities.

I think that it needs to be more apparent that every position is always up for grabs (no automatic out-of-form starters), but otherwise I think that he has brought some respectability and transparency back to the USMNT.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It all comes down to results in the end.............................

And as much as folks want youngster X, Y, or Z called up to the full national team.....................we have a ton of youth incorporated already.

In the past calendar year 20 players who are still eligible for US youth teams have been called up to the full USMNT. [Cannon, Dest, M. Robinson, McKennie, Pomykal, Pulisic, Yueill, Sargent in this camp.]

15. Cynical US fan

United States
    Mar 30, 2017
    Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you being paid by Berhalter? He's NOT doing a pretty good job in general.
    His "vision" is inchoate and hasn't been obvious or successful on the playing field. He continued to put Bradley and Trapp in the middle up until now: against better teams that is NOT effective. We are in a bind with this guy. Putting Dest in the lineup has been one of the unanimous suggestions by BigSoccer and in your previous comment you were denying that. Are you being paid by Berhalter?

nbarbour, gunnerfan7, bsky22 and 4 others repped this.
  16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which Berhalter is the real question

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    As a primarily YNT fan, this roster has been a dream for me. I really can't have any complaints. Berhalter even goes as far as saying that this group is better than 2002 and 2010. He's obviously not talking about Roldan, Zardes or Trapp. He's talking about Pulisic, McK, Adams, etc. He seems genuinely excited for the talent coming in.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #218 deejay, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    Ahh, this is the type of content that fills my soul with the jollies! Just plug it into my veins!

Seriously speaking, though. Didn't Berhalter do more than just call up Dest? Morales was a big discussion point for a month. I was not expecting a Robinson call up and we got him. Didn't he do better than you expected?

tomásbernal and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  19. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    I wish. Ha!

20. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Gregg, if you're out there...I'll come and work for you guys for the low, low price of 250K.

21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Yeah, I was critical of Dest after his mistakes in the Ukraine game, but I've now also watched him be part of holding APOEL scoreless over two legs in the UCL qualifiers, so you've got to revise opinions based on new data. I still think he's better going forward than defending, but like Berhalter said, if he's doing it with UCL qualification on the line, he should be able to do it in CONCACAF.

And since he's so young, he should get better at reading the game defensively and should develop a bit more physically, which combined should, in a perfect world, solve most of his defensive issues.

Pegasus and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    berhalter is sounding better, but others have made the point that he is still basically incoherent if the better mls players get their relative youth held against them and get beat out by inferior mls players who are already established national teamers

23. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    There is potential from this selection for a compelling line-up composed of "this WC cycle as well as next" players.

A step in the right direction. Won't really know until the starting XI is named.

I agree with earlier comments that it is clear Egg wants to have a blend of players familiar with what he's trying to do and "new faces" he is looking to bring in. I was critical of JK's seemingly arbitrary groupings so I guess I will be tolerant of this approach (for now).

Am going to check USSF site to see if we have any EU-based friendlies scheduled. [EDIT] Nope. Anybody hear any rumors?

UncagedGorilla repped this.
  24. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apples vs. oranges.

Look at who Dest was playing with in those matches. U20 players vs. Ajax players.

25. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that's why Mikey has to start as the 6 over Adams....:coffee: