September 2018 Friendlies: Brazil & Mexico

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Eleven Bravo, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Well, if you are saying Weah is good enough for this roster, what is the problem?

You can't compare the fringe of PSG to the fringe of New England Revolution. Whatever we think of Sarachan, he has had Weah in camp enough to have an opinion on how good he is. If he thinks he is better than Dwyer, Sapong, Ramirez, then that is his opinion and he is selecting the players.

We are a minnow country. We can choose between PSG fringe players and MLS players. No American in MLS is starting or making the 18 for PSG. So, the coach and GM have to make a choice like that.

We shouldn't call in inferior players because it looks better to some.

SteelyTom and VBCity72 repped this.
  2. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, call the best group in, if were talking fringe players. Weah didn't do much to deserve this nod other than being at PSG, his one start was bad and he hasnt made the bench since. He has talent but it's not coming together yet. Kind of like Zelalem and Green a couple years back.

I get the feeling Dave likes what he brings and that's fine, it is his call but I would rather the slot go to Sabbi or Gall, who both are starting and scoring for their teams.

3. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Weah has looked good in three games with the USMNT. That is far more than Zelalem. Green has 4 goals in like 400 minutes for the USMNT (too lazy to look it up). Green is actually that mythical player people like to talk about around here that actually excels for the national team far more than his club team. He is the anti-Chandler. Unlike Green or Weah, Zelalem has done nothing in a USMNT shirt; so not sure how you can compare Weah to him.

Weah has been in three camps, started, scored, looked dangerous and smart with his runs. I think his floor is Zardes with a better first touch.

Again, Sabbi or Gall wouldn't start at PSG. It is just rhetoric to suggest not starting at PSG is equivalent to not starting in MLS or Denmark or Sweden. No critical thinker can actually believe Weah's situation is equivalent to anyone in the pool, even Pulisic. This isn't Carleton sitting behind $30 million worth of players, this is someone behind $400 million worth of players. The players on the depth chart ahead of Weah probably are more valuable than all the rosters in MLS, Danish Superliga, and Sweden combined!

Anyway, bringing Sabbi or Gall or Amon in and playing them against Brazil seems like a waste of time. Bunker city...Sarachan ball.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Romain Gall is and has been an interesting player. However, at no point has he ever been a top 3 player in his position. Even in the YNT after racking up goals in qualifying nobody was too put out that he missed the YWC. Once he starts knocking on a top team's door then we can get enraged if he is snubbed.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #155 TheHoustonHoyaFan, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    Patrick167, Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  6. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well hell, we can't field a full 11 if that's the bar...
    I think consistent production earns a chance, see what they do with it/how that translates to intl level, go from there.
    Bradley was near his national team best while he didn't sniff the field for Roma, wondo scored consistently for a decade in MLS- makes Connor Casey look like Ronaldo for the nats. It doesn't always translate, both ways.
    But players for top teams only? You're gonna have to count academy teams at Bayern to find 11.

7. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #157 deejay, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    I think you misunderstand me. There are a fair number of guys in his position and his level of consistent production or better. The only thing happening here is that we haven't called him up yet. Maybe a look/see is justifiable but it is not mandatory. Nothing else. Not upset that he wasn't called up. Not upset if he was.

IMO, if you have top teams just sniffing around that's reason enough for a callup. That's a pretty low bar. No such team has looked at Gall.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we will see Parks as long as Sarachan is the coach, he just doesn't rate him. He would rather have 3 small mids in Delgado, Trapp and Roldan than a 6'4 1st rate passer.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You think thats why?

He's a reserve team player. How many of those have been called into the NT?

10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about we wait until players are actually integrated to 1st teams until we make that critique? Otherwise coaches always have a justification and I will support the decision. That is until we regress to 80's level USNT play.

11. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like Sargent or Weah or Nova? Ok, I get it.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is playing in the second division but I guess reserve team sounds worst.

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nova and Weah are 1st teamers. Sargent isn't. I support him not being called up, as bullish as I've been along the way about his prospects. The path to integration there and here is very straight-forward. It should require some level of proof for national team call-ups. It's not a futures draft or prediction contest.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Same thing. We shouldn't have those players on our NT.

15. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinson plays in the Championship which a second-tier league same as Parks. There is no set rule just the coaches discretion. And Parks is not deemed NT caliber in the eyes of Sarachan, we can say the same argument is with Morales, he plays in a 1st league tier and on paper is better than Delgado or Roldan but yet not good enough for our NT for whatever reason.

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, who is going to tell Robinson he is not quite at the level for our NT team?

Winoman repped this.
  17. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Portuguese 2nd has a Transfermarkt value 10 times lower then the Championship. So that's a really specious argument. I could see an argument for Parks if the transfer window weren't closed to get him a solid move potentially. But it is closed. And this isn't a sensible camp for a 10 or 8 who's weak defensively.

As for Morales, he's of an age that's of borderline usefulness this cycle which I thought you cared deeply about. He's had plenty of opportunities for the national team and never impressed. Now Roldan and Delgado deserve theirs. Plenty like myself would disagree with you Morales is better on paper. He just grew up in a country with a much better league.

If you want plenty of MLS'ers and a weak European group when it counts advocate for a questionably qualified Euro-centric group when it doesn't count like now ala Klinsmann.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why make that type of point when you know exactly what I'm saying?

Portuguese second division is trash (and he's playing for a reserve team). The English second division is comparable to our best domestic league, and Robinson is playing with the first team.

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The championship >>> Portugal 2nd, come on dude.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is he said we shouldn't have second division players and we have a few of those.

And the championship is the strongest 2nd division.

21. Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jul 8, 2017
    I'm not bothered by the fact that he's playing on a reserve team, I am bothered by the fact that he's playing in the Portuguese 2nd division. If he was playing for the reserve team of a first division club in one of the big 5 leagues and that reserve team played in its respective division and the player was a standout, it wouldn't be an issue to me (although this would be rare--English reserve teams aren't in the league pyramid, German ones are but aren't allowed to be higher than the 3rd division, Spanish ones are allowed to be in the 2nd but none currently are--not sure about Italy and France).

I don't have an issue with bringing in second division guys from one of the top leagues, but they should be excelling same as if they were playing in MLS--simply getting minutes in Europe isn't enough unless you're in one of the top leagues.