Semi-Official 2017 San Jose Earthquakes Roster Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Seismothusiast, Nov 25, 2016.

1. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Did not know this was my job. I guess the AI that is you and I have taken over.

mjlee22 repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve always suspected that most of my intelligence was artificial...

3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever figure out who the two ex-Quakes are?

Ike & Justin

4. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was the question? My AI is failing me

5. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that the line you use with your husband??:D

6. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two of the three candidates for defender of the year are ex-Quakes. You picked the one who was not an ex Quake and stated you don't remember him being a Quake... ;)

7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahaha you dirty guy

8. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ok I totally misread the original post, I thought it said Waston was an ex-Quake.

Of course I knew Ike & Beita’s history with the Quakes. In fact, I am still sure it was Fredy Montero who broke that bone in Ike’s foot that wouldn’t heal.

DotMPP repped this.
  9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS age curves:

[​IMG]

Here's one for an EPL season:
    [​IMG]

bsman repped this.
  10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Pretty interesting. KC's looks the worst in terms of "aging players". Chicago might be next. Quakes are OK - lots of mid to late 20's players. Need to boost up the low 20's end a bit.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal's looks the worst, their peak is to the right of SKC's and they actually have a depression in the "peak age" area (not as bad as Orlando's, they look like they're actively trying to avoid players in their prime). The next most worrying has to be Philly, given their curve is almost identical to SKC but one is a regular playoff team and the other was out of playoff contention by like the end of April. Despite having nothing to play for Jim Curtin benched Rosenberry, barely played Jones, didn't play Trusty, etc.

markmcf8 repped this.
  12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sounds Kinnearean. Quakes could have been eliminated in August and he'd probably still have Jackson Yueill wasting away in Reno, and continually handing out starts to veterans like Shaun Francis.

bobby_guzman and xbhaskarx repped this.
  13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Simon Dawkins for making Goal.com's "MLS Overpaid XI" list:

ANDREA PIRLO AND KAKA LEAD GOAL'S MLS OVERPAID XI

SIMON DAWKINS, San Jose Earthquakes - $800,000

Dawkins made a big impact on loan with San Jose in 2011 and 2012, compelling the Quakes to eventually bring him back on a permanent deal before the 2016 season. Things haven’t gone nearly as well for Dawkins since then, and his 2017 campaign was derailed by injuries and poor performances.

No goals or assists in just 14 appearances isn’t nearly what San Jose would expect out of a designated player, and Dawkins' future with the Quakes is very much in the air heading into 2018.​

The fact that this useless guy will likely still be on the Quakes roster in 2018 is infuriating...

mjlee22 repped this.
  14. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Ouch, 3 of the 11 are Rapids.

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And most of the teams didn’t make the playoffs, or if you include us, barely made the playoffs. Makes you wonder how much overpaid DPs affect team chemistry

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think mostly overpaid DPs affect roster decisions and a lack of other good players on the team. If you tie up a bunch of cash in a guy who doesn't perform, it means that you also have guys who don't earn as much starting, because you just don't have enough salary to go around.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

mjlee22 repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    You can survive one, but once you get to 2 or 3, you are in some trouble. In 2016 we had both Innocent and Dawkins on the roster, but Dawkins wasn't that bad that year - 5 goals and a couple of assists playing in midfield. As an "el cheapo DP" he wasn't grossly overpaid for his production that year. I mean it was not even in the same stratosphere as Gio Dos Santos this year: $5.5. million for 6 goals.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Paying a GK in Tim Howard $2,475,000.00 in salary for this league is insane.

19. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except with the potential to create more artificial turf fields, just to piss us all off. I, for one, am prepared to bow to our Artificial Turf Overloards.

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Posting on BigSoccer or sex *heyoooo*

Not in the two minute category, but basic programming jobs will likely be taken over by AI likely in less than 10 years.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that you tie up a bunch of salary cap money in your DP's. Thus, when your DP's don't perform, it's not just that that one guy isn't doing well, it's the blown opportunity cost. You could have hired a different DP, or you could have signed two or three guys in the $200K to $300K range and gotten better production out of them.

Because we exist in a salary capped league, our salary numbers are a zero sum game. There's only so much cash to go around. So squandering some on a lousy DP really hurts.

Probably bad for morale too, unless the guy is legitimately injured.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Salary to count as a "DP" is what 435k? So in reality you could MAYBE sign 2 players in that rang, but not 3 as you seem to think. What matters most is what is counted against the cap, anything over that means nothing in terms of cap space.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, OK, math not my long suit. Still, it’s $485 (I think, but goes down as you sign more DP’s). So two players for $200K and change, which still spreads your risk of a bad signing better than putting a lot of cash into one player.

No matter how you slice it, you really need for your DP’s to perform. When you sign a stinker DP, like Simon Dawkins, you’re wasting a lot of your limited cash, and probably an international slot as well.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If they get three or four utility players , journeymen or rookies or players similar to the salaries of what they they pay Salinas and Lima, that is $100k a piece on average that count against the salary cap. Its better than wasting $435k against the cap to a player who never plays.

25. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Salinas' salary is only going down and Lima will go up. You wouldn't be able to sign 3/4 Limas for the price of one DP