Seleção General Discussion, 2016-17 - Era Tite [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007

If, and only if Paulinho is playing like he did at Confed Cup 2013(?) then maybe he will contribute.
    Apparently there are reports that he is doing well in China! Oh boy! LOL

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Fagner also deserving of a call up since his Vasco days.

As long as Casemiro doesn't step foot into the field i'm ok with this selecao. T. Silva missing that's all.

3. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fred? Romulo? Prass, when he's healthy? Jefferson? I know you have more names in mind ;)

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lot of pressure on a new manager that has made a number of changes to the squad. I'd like to think he'll maintain most of the starting 11, though.

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why do you dislike Casemiro?

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Because he's not a good player, he's late to most challenges, he's too slow to keep up pace with faster forwards and his passing is so questionable. Reason he's getting this "omg he's so good" acclamation now, is because he's playing for Real Madrid. Where most teams are not constantly pressing them offensively because they have to worry about Madrid's counter attacking power (which he is not a part of).

He's completely useless in a team which is constantly going up against 8-9 defenders, while the opposition is looking for quick counter attacks with 2-3 players only. Every Brazilian NT opponent plays them this way. He'll be beaten every time. I would MUCH prefer Walace for example. Who did an amazing job in this Olympics cutting down opposition counter along with R. Augusto.

I mean the guy got beaten once during the whole tournament. And he's 21 years old! talk about building for the future.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Romulo will make it to the NT, he's too good in quality not to make it anymore. Prass got the call up he deserved and Jefferson to me is still better than Allison.

Also, if Fred is the perfect player to have against parked defenses. He's good at what he does man, impossible to deny it.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am no Casemiro fan, but criticizing him because he doesn't play tough opposition while pointing out Walace's performance in the Olympics and then R. Augusto doesn't make much sense.

9. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    While I'm cool with Tite giving the Olympians a call up, now if this was a couple of friendlies then I wouldn't say anything, but I do feel that this team is a bit lightweight to go into 2 crucial WCQ'S vs Ecuador in Quito(where we haven't won) and in the Amazon vs Colombia(it's gonna be like an anaconda fighting a jaguar!! Lol)

Let's just hope on September 7th Brazilians have more to celebrate than just Independence Day!!:)

10. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, this is news to me.

11. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Come on now man, how easy is it to defend against a team afraid of attacking you? That's what Casemiro has been doing at Real...

Plus R. Augusto and Walace did a good job why is that bad to point out? The opposition they had was the opposition they had. Only got 1 goal scored on them the whole tournament and got a gold medal.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    For starters, many opponents were able to put pressure on RM in La Liga last season. Casemiro also incidentally had a great game vs Barcelona at the Camp Nou. But that's besides the point. How can you excuse R. Augusto and Walace for playing sub-bar U23 opposition in the Olympics when criticizing Casemiro for playing weaker opposition compared to his own team ? That's contradictory.

Regardless, I'd take a player trying to improve his game by playing in an European top league vs one collecting millions in China. But kudos to Tite if he can get Paulinho back to his "old form". But don't get me started on R. Augusto. Even with his improved performance in the latter games in the Olympics, he will show his face soon enough.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  13. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    [​IMG]

14. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well barring injuries I think this will be the starting line-up

GK- Alisson
    DF- D. Alves
    DF- Miranda(captain)
    DF- Gil
    DF- Marcelo
    MF- Casemiro
    MF- R. Augusto
    MF- Paulinho
    FW- Willian
    FW- Gabigol
    FW- Neymar

15. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    image.png

XaviandXabi repped this.
  16. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Starting Walace or RA over our best CDM Cassmiro is madness to me.

Kaka10725 repped this.
  17. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    PAULINHO?! Lool ok Tite. But to be fair he has been great in China. But still very bias from the manager. Not really super surprised by the rest of the callups. There is no one from the previous Dunga squads that have been left out that deserved to be on this new list besides maybe Firmino.

Nice to see Lucas Lima and Coutinho make the cut but they seriously need to step it up. Firmino should be in the cut waiting for one of their spots if they slip up.

I'm ok with the FBs and CBs. I'm guessing Gil is a step in for Thiago Silva. No David Luiz :eek::D. Hopefully it stays that way. Still kind of hope we move on from Filipe Luis though and get someone younger.

Casemiro has been too good at Real to ignore. He was a monster against Real Sociedad yesterday. And RA has some credit from the Olympics so I'm not surprised at all by this call.

Same with Weverton. In fact, I called it that he'd be convened a few days ago. He was reportedly Tite's choice to fill in for Prass. Allisson is here to stay as long as Taffarel is GK coach.

Guliano is a weird call. Rafael Carioca deserves this. Taison doesn't deserve this at all. Luan would have been a better choice but apparently the list was submitted before the Olympics or shortly after.

18. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I know every Brazilian manager has his own personal bias when it comes to call ups but this is too much for me. I don't even know where to begin. Taison, Guiliano, really????

I don't like the Paulinho call but I take him over Elias everyday of the week. I would of rather given this spot to a younger player. The thought that our starting midfield will contain Casemiro, RA and Paulinho is downright scary to me.

Weverton:rolleyes:. Chances are that he won't see the field but the fact that it is a possibility is enough to raise my blood pressure.

19. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We won the Gold because Neymar is a craque and the rest of the team was pretty balanced, with a mostly solid defense. I really liked Neymar as a more withdrawn meia-attacante. It gives a whole new dimension to our game. We can dream of actually playing possession-based attacking football in the final third rather than the counter-attacking style that's prevailed on the Seleção for a long time. The best display of this potential was in the Denmark game. But there were promising moments in toward the end of the Germany game as well. What it seems we're lacking is someone who can run onto a through ball and finish; someone who can think close to the speed of Neymar and intuitively read his intentions so they can move into space to create opportunities for tabelas to set Neymar up to score; someone who can score on a half chance. Gabigol looked promising but faded in the later matches. I don't know enough about him to comment. Gabriel Jesus also showed promise, especially in the Honduras game. But he struggled with the final ball and kept getting dispossessed.

For now, I'd settle for someone who--unlike Felipe Anderson--is not going to hesitate on the two beautiful passes he was served on a platter, passes that should have decided that game, and not even get a shot off. Maybe it's a question of *entrosamento.* But I have a nagging feeling it's class. We don't need a Romario or Fenomeno-level craque in the position. Although, could you imagine what either of them would be like with Neymar to serve and play off them? I'd love to naturalize Suarez. Ideally, we'd get a Reinaldo or Coutinho or Careca. But at this point, I'd settle for an Edmundo or even an in-form Fred or Luis Fabiano. A f*cking Tevez, since the Argies apparently don't want him.

Anyone have any theories on why is it that we don't seem to produce capable *centroavantes* anymore?

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Both Gabigol and GJ weren't utilized in their natural positions. They aren't wingers. They are 9s. Tite even said as much during his press conference yesterday (to my relief).

As far as theories about centroavantes, the domestic game now prefers to utilize big, physical 9s that can hold up the ball and be physical in the PK area. Whenever we have a 9 that does not fit that mold and has above average ball skills, they get kicked out to the wing. Gabriel Jesus was used as a winger last season and struggled. When Cuca finally started utilizing him as a 9 this year, he started to produce (and now leads the league in goals, even after missing time in the Olympics). Gabigol has shown over the last two season that he's more effective for Santos as a 9. But since they have Ricardo Oliveira in that position who had been effective (especially last season), Gabigol is kicked out to the wing. No one plays with two strikers anymore.

Redshift repped this.
  21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I just saw the first half yesterday and while I did like Neymar's passes in the 2nd half, he tends to do too many high risk plays in the midfield plus poor decisions. I noticed right in the beginning him trying to dribble past a player when Luan was open for the pass right on his side. He basically ran into Luan. And then those plays where he holds on to the ball going backwards for way to long. He really needs to get that out of his game to play that deeper position.

22. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can seriously see him being being there in 2018. Whether as a sub or starter.

Btw, Porto eliminated Roma from CL with a 4-1 victory. I'm not his biggest fan but I'm thrilled Alisson wasn't playing but the Polish reject from Arsenal. Hopefully Alisson is back at #1. If he is our GK, we may as well hope he plays and develops along the way at Roma.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    all competition in the Olympics is sub-par... how did Casemiro do during his Olympic games?
    When you're at the playground playing a pick up game, and a team picks all of the best players and make a panelinha. Are they really going through the toughest opposition? Look if he was playing AGAINST Real Madrid sure. But he's on the stacked team playing against 2-3 stacked teams a year. So technically Casemiro sees... Barcelona 2-4 times a year, Alt. Madrid 2-4 times a year, and for shits and giggles 1 more CL opponent that's RM's level 2 times.

So that's 6-10 competitive games a year.... Where he might not even start most of them. YEAH TOP COMPETITION RIGHT THERE!!!

other than those games... he's in the panelinha beating the teams with 1/5 of RM's payroll.

Dunga played in Japan and was still getting call ups. Good player is a good player. I never thought Paulinho needed to be taken off the starting lineup to begin with.[/quote][/QUOTE]

25. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He did make some mistakes. But to be fair, he was trying to do too much because he wasn't getting the support he needed. But he generally makes good decisions for Barca. He won't complicate things that need to be simplified.