Section 8 = Brilliant and The Soldier Field Five

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by alf, Oct 22, 2005.

1. elbita

elbita New Member

May 4, 2005
    London
    Re: Section 8 = Disgraceful

hadn't been to a fire game for quite a while. i thought the flares were sweet, so long as it doesn't become an inter milan field-on-fire situation.

also loved the fact that i sat in the front row at the top of the south box, since you could sit anywhere you wanted.

2. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago

From my seat behind the Fire box, the flares were beautiful and hellish

3. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI

Now, let's all keep in mind that this post was made by the boy who was probably sittting with his parents in the club section. So, take this post for what it's worth, which isn't much at all.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The flares looked great, Rimando can handle being hit with toilet paper, and you need to chill.

I wouldn't wish the crap that Barra Brava had to go though with CSC on anybody. Section 8, IMHO, is the only supporters section that can rival the BB/SE side at RFK. Show your team's staunchist fans some support.

5. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

I LOVE THIS ********ING CLUB!!!!!

FI-YUR! FI-YUR! FI-YUR, FI-YUR, FI-YUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side

Absolute Magic!

Way to go Fire fans!

If only we had any offense on this team worthy of this support!

7. Shaydee

Shaydee Member

Apr 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone should change the thread title to Section 8 = Brilliant

8. LOCO4UNITED!!

LOCO4UNITED!! New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    Section #120.

You guys know how supporters are supposed to SUPPORT a team.

The US needs FANATICS not soccer moms who are only fans!!

Well done guys!

NOW.... Aguante DC UNITED!!

La Norte presente!!

9. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Alf is entitled to his opinion.

I think he's wrong, but thats ok. I've gotta say that I was tearing up when the flares came out. The only thing that pissed me off is that I didn't have a camera. I could of had a dozen shots of guys on the ground with security cuffing 'em. I was standing inside watching Monterey wrestle several people to the ground, making sure nobody got sucker punched. Security was very forceful, but I thought they handled it well, apart from pinching people that didn't do anything.

The flares were awesome, the streamers were awesome, what a great way to possibly say goodbye to SF and send off Peter.

Great job, you guys are my heros.

Oh yeah, I also have the game Tivo'd in Hi Def. It looked awesome and the announcers were gushing over the flares and tha atmosphere. They were basically saying that all games should be like this. If someone wants the recording, I'll save it, but you need an HD VCR, which I don't have.

10. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Beer, i'll be in touch. We'll find a way to get the recording.

==== ==== ====

[​IMG]
    Update on the "Soldier Field Five":

I just got off the phone with Marcin and everyone has been released. It would have done little good to go to Area 1 last night as bail was set at $1000 each.

This is the kicker though: Marcin was arrested for Attempted Burglary. He gathered up flags that we wanted to take to DC and as he walked out Monterrey arrested him thinking the Fire owns the flags and banners. They have been confiscated by Monterrey.

This in addition to the nearly $5000 worth of flags and banners SF has cut down and destroyed just this season as well as the PUMA jersey flag that either walked away or was confiscated as well last night.

11. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound

Haters need to get a job... preferably away from the Chicago area. I hear the games in Salt Lake City are far from "disgraceful". Maybe something worth looking in to...

Marcin being arrested for attempted burglary is pretty silly. I can't imagine that going very far at trial. Good luck to everyone else... WB05 is more than willing to contribute in any way necessary (though I wouldn't ask us to be at the trials for your own good).

12. Landon Donovan

Landon Donovan New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Comiskey Park

My buddy just called saying he was in jail for 14 hours due to this... lol

13. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

he was probably one of the five.

everyone has been officially released. I'm curious who your buddy is, can you send me a pm?

frankly the reason for being detained had far less (if anything) to do with the pyro and far more to do with supposed overboard reaction by fans to the incredibly overboard reaction by security.

everyone I've spoken too has their writeups full of 'trumped-up' charges such as "attempted burglary," "violent conduct," and "profanity in the presence of children" (kid you not)

14. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Forgive my asking what may seem to you a silly question, because I was sitting from afar, but what was overboard about Monterrey's reaction? From where I sat I thought they seemed calmer then what I expected, considering...

a) They aren't used to the presence of fire (the element, not the team or the chant) in the stands, and
    b) What we used to see out of Garcia back in the old days.

Again, I was sitting at a far distance, and their red jackets made for tough differentiation against the red Fire jerseys in the section, so if they were really out of line, I had no way of telling from where I was.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA

I'm all for flares, since they contribute so well to this badass picture. The look on Peter's face is priceless.

16. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

That's fair, you couldn't really see well what was happening from a distance.

The recation to the pyro itself wasn't overboard. They came down, took the flares, searched for the smoke, etc and that was about it.

Then a security guard took umbrage to the general behavior in the section (swearing, jumping, etc) and started shoving and punching fans and it escalated from there. fans were forcibly removed from the section in chokeholds, innocent bystanders were kicked and elbowed, security used totally inappropriate languae and insults while purportedly doing their job.

One guy was detained merely because he accidentally brushed a security guard's jacket! He wasn't even involved in any of the pyro or ensuing mayhem.

It's very stange to me because from late 03 up until 2 games ago Monterrey had been very good, levelheaded and reasonable and all of a sudden the last two matches they have been quite reactionary.

Not Garcia-reactionary. NO ONE could be that bad. but reactionary nonetheless.

17. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Most of them were just going through the motions, but a few were talking shlt and punching people. Of course the security are going to try to take flares away from people, but the folks around me who were arrested did nothing wrong, unless getting punched or pushed to ground is a crime. There was one guard in particular who was just going nuts, he was shaking and twitching and panting. What an ass, he's in the wrong line of work if he can't control his actions, emotions, or even his own body in a tense situation.

18. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the club section, you guys looked damn good. Great picture there--looks like Peter and his masked compadre are about to open some whoop ass on whoever is taking the pic. :cool:

Fvck Monterrey Security and their ilk.

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Hey where are you guys finding Bruce Arena quotes regarding last night's match?

20. phantum

phantum New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    We are Chicago
    I talked to someone after the match that was in the press box with him.

21. heybeerman

heybeerman Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Chicago Burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I didn't see any of that. Bastards!

22. phantum

phantum New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    We are Chicago
  23. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Counter sue, get TFlan in on it. What's the state limit for small claims court? I bet Monterey wouldn't even bother sending a lawyer.

24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Peter was valiant in attempting to intercede on behalf of the Fire fans as they were being dragged off. There were two Monterrey chicks, one a 'supervisor', who were swapping war stories in very deragatory crude, malevolent terms. I told them they should be thrown down a well. They snapped back. I told them to blow me. Almost got arrested myself so I blew them a kiss and walked away.

Well represented Peter. I dont think they had any idea who you are.

25. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Being arrested: My idea of a good time.
    If I'm not mistaken, there is a recording played outside of the gates before the game stating all the behavior and objects prohibited from the stadium. The behavior exhibited by the fans and the flares themselves clearly violated these terms. So clearly, more than 5 people would have been eligible to be arrested.

And because I don't sit Section 8 makes me less of a fan? I've been supporting this team since day 1. How many of Section 8 can say that? Just because I go to the game and sit in a section where I can actually watch the main entertainment (ie. the soccer game) instead of believing myself to be the entertainment, makes me "a soccer mom," "wuss," "tool," or any other name I've been called.

Anyway, good luck to Section 8 with the Peter Wilt-less organization. I'm sure Mr. Guppy will be pleased to accomodate your every need at Bridgeview.