Second career of former MLS Referee

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Union42, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://freakonomics.com/podcast/sports-ep-1/

This week's episode of Freakonomics Radio on NPR took a look at the economics of the pro sports industry. About halfway through, their is an interview with economics professor and former MLS Referee Victor Matheson. Thought some of the referees on this forum would enjoy this.

chwmy and usaref repped this.
  2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got Matheson credited with 9 fourth official assignments way back in the dark ages. It's probably more, but I don't have complete records.

Union42 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the future the "I ref'd MLS matches" will include those who only did the AVAR position. ;)

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way things are structured currently, there won't be too many who fall into that category--particularly going forward. But, yes, technically you're correct!

As for Vic... it would be more correct to say officiating was his second career, I'd say. We're talking about an era where being an MLS was a side gig even if you were a top FIFA (which, of course, it still is for all ARs). I imagine all his MLS work was 4ths in Chicago, with some ARs or maybe a stray whistle on USOC or exhibition matches involving the Fire. He rose the ranks of local Chicago area refereeing before moving to take the professor gig at Holy Cross. He is now a very accomplished academic and I've found it fascinating to pick his brain on things like the Olympics and professional sports expansion when--long ago now--I had the pleasure of working with him. Great guy, too.

Ismitje, IASocFan, ColoradoRef and 4 others repped this.
  5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heh, but to be honest, every position matters and is extremely important. Just because he only did fourths doesn't make him any less of an MLS referee in my eye. To get those assignments back in the day, you needed to be pretty well regarded locally. Yeah, he never broke through into the traveling ranks or got a whistle or even a line, but he's still a part of the history of the league.

6. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second the “great guy” comment. I lived in Massachusetts for nine years while in school and clerking and had the pleasure of working five or so matches with him while he was still a national referee. Also refereeed with him on a W-League match way back in the day when was passing through Colorado and I was home for summer break. Super nice guy.

7. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Although this is interesting, it is nothing new nor unique.

Back in the NASL days, there were some FIFA and center referees and linesmen with high level professional careers both during and after their refereeing. And there have been others in MLS such as attorneys and doctors who actually had the whistle in several matches, not just being a local 4th official.
    However the way things are now, it is doubtful that there will more in the future.

There have been similar situations in other countries. Several FIFA referees in Germany held doctorates of one sort or another (medical, dental, Ph.D., etc), and in other European countries some were lawyers.

PH

8. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the US, too: Ed Bellion (chemistry), Robert Evans (geology)

9. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Rich Grady (history)