Sebastian Lletget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Jeff Wineberg, Jun 26, 2015.

1. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a read on the type of injury Lletget suffered written by a doctor

Brutal. Gutted for him

edcrocker and ebbro repped this.
  2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    straight red and should have been multi game suspension, diabolical that it wasn't. feel absolutely awful for Lletget. that really......really sucks.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Well he said she's a "Mexicana". Perhaps an undercover agent working for El Tri?

4. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happened right in front of us. Absolute red, and it was not even that subtle.

Bummer for Lletget, the US, and the Galaxy. Really tough news.

5. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Honduran NT play like thugs its sickening. This happens especially when they play Mexico smh

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Wow, that is a truly reprehensible tackle. Thanks for posting.

jackiesdad and HartwickFan repped this.
  7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its really gettting out of hand playing honduras...sick of it.

....would like to see the us sub in an mma fighter or somebody willing to wreck these fools the next time the us have a big lead on honduras late in the game and just let him do work...

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a red card all day

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The only national youth player I ever saw in club soccer who looked to be at another level. The rest were very good club players, but not different than other very good club players. I figured that if anybody I saw were to become a national-level adult player, it would be Lletget.

Got that one right. Maybe coaching is in my future. Anyway, best of health to him. Hope to see him in future matches.

Oh and that tackle ... reminds me why I hate defenders. They come in with potentially crippling tackles, and what's their penalty? Maybe a red card and a missed game. Maybe. But OK now I am off topic.

Scotty repped this.
  10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't the US Soccer Fed lodge a protest to Concacaf and/or Fifa? They do review things. Just look at the 4 game suspension for Messi. By comparison this should be a 4 year suspension.

11. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    nope, it wont get reviewed.

12. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget had to get a 2nd surgery on his foot, and well after the initial one, at a point nearing when it was supposed to start the window for his return. Yeah, that's never a good sign. It's usually not the initial injury/surgery that costs you much, it's the reinjury/2nd surgery that does, if it occurs. Definitely legit worried he doesn't come back the same player now.

As of last month he said it'll be a long time until he's back on the field, so his WC chances are in serious jeopardy. Even after the initial injury I was penciling him in. Now have to erase that name for now.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know when he might return, but if he could return towards the end of this season, get a few games in, and then start off next season well, I think he should make the WC team.

I know he doesn't have many caps, but he's one of those players that I think belongs on the NT, whether he's proved it with 50 caps or not.

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was always questionable to return before season's end, even before the 2nd surgery. Now I'd say it's very unlikely. Like I said, from the horse's mouth, it'll be a long time until he comes back. To me that does not indicate before the end of the season.

It's besides the point what he was before the injury. He needs to reestablish himself. Bruce has proven to have a low threshold for injury questions, and I may like that tendency now because of all the depth that's been accrued. We could have carried a couple hobbled but talented enough players in the past, but not now unless we want to cut off our nose to spite our face.

15. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lletget's 2nd surgery was the planned treatment for the Linfrasc injury he suffered.

Honore de Ballsac, edcrocker and napper repped this.
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Da Boy! is back in town!

He's still considered questionable though for a return to competitive play before the end of the regular season. LA aren't in the playoff picture. Season ends Oct. 22nd. He'd have to play a couple games at least and the U.S. end up in the playoff for him to still even possibly be a factor in qualifying. But January camp is a good bet. That's more than I expected.

17. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LAG midfield is so crowded now....dos santos bros, allesandrini, boateng, zardes, jermaine jones lletgt, joao pedro villareal bros etc.....

maybe they can trade some fo these guys for GK, Defenders and forwards....? open some more time for the midfielders......

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a problem for next season. Jones will age out and Zardes can play up top. I think they should contemplate Boateng at fb. Also, don't know if Lletget will be the same guy. 451 w/ Pedro, JDS, Lletget, GDS, Allesandrini in midfield works and sounds strong. Villarreal they should trade because they'll never use him it seems.

19. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boatang is so wonderfully quick and direct, i love seeing him make runs into the box that take out defenders. for me it would be a shame to stick him at fullback. sad to see that jones is going out with a whimper, but he's got to be the odd man out in that group. hopefully lleget can have a smooth transition back, he was looking really good before the injury (i was at the USMNT game he was injured at-- he was very, very bright. surprised me a bit)

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the nats level though, I think this is a bigger deal than most would expect. I think Arena is really high on the guy, and every reason to be. Before his injury he looked every bit the part, and I think he will be given the opportunity when he gets back too.

Alexisonfire and edcrocker repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He's an upgrade in technique without being a downgrade in flexibility and work rate. Very big IMO.

juveeer and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys are crazy. I'm not even sure that was a yellow. Alvarado got the ball with a 1 footed tackle, but caught Lleget's rear foot with his knee. I don't think it was intentional.

23. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Really. Even knowing the future and knowing that his reckless knee broke a player's foot you think not a yellow? I guarantee you that if the ref realized a bone was broken in that tackle it would have been a straight red. Straight red, nothing else.

I think he got zero ball but it really doesn't matter. Once his knee hits Lletget getting the ball is irrelevant. "Not even sure that was a yellow"? Explain yourself. A defender is beaten so he makes a reckless dive. In this dive his knee crashes down on the other player's foot. If he was in control of his body it is a definite red card since he would have then intentionally tripped his opponent with a dangerous knee to his foot. I don't think it was intentional to hit him with the knee and neither did the ref since he only gave yellow (because he didn't know about the broken bone).

Intent in is only one way to get a red. Using excessive force and being out of control in a way that can serious injure a player (doesn't even have to injure, just has to be the sort of thing that can easily injure) can get you a red and certainly gets you a yellow. What reading of that event could you possibly use to say no yellow as it was seen to happen and no red if the ref knew what really happened? Really. You are out of your mind. Hopefully you never ever ref a soccer game.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    You need a refresher course on soccer rules. Intent has no role in most red cards.

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    truth. This was the angle that Liverpool fans were using after the Man City keeper got booted square in the jaw last matchweek