Seattle

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by Dr. Dogfish, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the first time we'll be facing a team that can press our back four. This will be a great test. A win will quit people saying:
    A) yeah, they beat Minnesota, but c'mon
    B) yeah, they beat Chicago, but they had ten men
    C) yeah, they dominated most of the game against NJ but couldn't hold onto the lead

this will be big

2. MetroRed

MetroRed Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Kennesaw, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    It is a big challenge on the road. Getting a result would be big for ATL. I watched the Red Bulls game on the road against Seattle last week and NYRB looked overmatched.

3. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the 1-2 scoreline, I didn't think NJ was all that sharp. They also don't have a bevy of attacking players who can pin a team back. They also don't have anyone of Ozzie Alonso's caliber breaking up attacks.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This will indeed be big, for a few reasons:

- First true game on turf
    - Defending champions & Seattle atmosphere
    - Only game that night, and one off short rest for the key players.

I'm a huge believer in team form, and if AU loses but plays well within themselves then I won't complain. This will be very much like the NYRB match, I suspect, only Seattle has more pieces to the puzzle when they're on, especially with Dempsey back in the fold. I expect they'll try very hard to make our main cast do LOTS of running, chasing the ball all over the field in hopes that the fatigue will kick in over time. I also suspect they'll indeed press, especially down their left flank. Lots of high balls as they're a bigger team, too.

5. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, it will be the first cross-continent flight for many of our players who have spent their careers playing in tiny postage stamp countries where the game is, at worst, a long bus-ride away.

All kinds of story-lines here.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep the same XI going and team strategy, for now. Don't try to change because the quality of the opponent.

MetroRed repped this.
  7. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wonder how many of the players actually fit that description, though? Our DP's all have national team experience so they've done some substantial travel, including this week during the international break.

This will really kick in during the regular season, though, when such travel becomes routine.
    Agreed. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

8. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely a difficult aspect. Hopefully they brought in some help to compensate and help the players understand the physiology of changing time zones.

9. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But few of those players - other than the MLS veterans - know what it's like to travel like that as part of the regular season. The boys are about to begin crossing time zones regularly, and only a few of those flights will be chartered. Many of them will be commercial flights.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    True dat.

11. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    No it won't. AUFC could win MLS Cup, Supporters Shield, CONCACF, and FIFA. Everyone would still call it a fluke. Just look at what they say about being number one in sales and attendance.That said. This train ain't getting derailed in the lake! Just win y'all!

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meh, people can say what they want and will believe what they want. If AU wins trophies this year I can understand some remaining skepticism because we don't have any pedigree or precedence to go by. Chicago won it all in their first year, for example.

But come next year when the gloves are off, if we're still filling the stands and the team is a contender on the field then there'll be one less leg on which the detractors can stand, and that will be fine with me.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Quick check of the rounds and thus far it appears Martinez is the only casualty this window. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Good news is Seattle's internationals are also in line for full games this week.

Getting pumped for the match! It's game week, folks!

GoingGoaling and MetroRed repped this.
  14. Dr. Dogfish

Dr. Dogfish Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Heart of Darkness
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God Bless Dempsey when he wears the USA shirt - anything beyond that is a curse and an affliction. As of yet, our backline hasn't had to face that kind of guile.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only 4 to be exact. It was one of the contentious points the players lost out on during the last CBA. Individual players can pay out of pocket to upgrade to business class, otherwise the entire team is in coach.

http://www.oregonlive.com/timbers/index.ssf/2016/05/travel_in_major_league_soccer.html

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/Collective Bargaining Agreement - February 1, 2015.pdf

Not sure why every team has to travel the same. If one owner is willing to pony up to gain an advantage, let them.

16. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will have our hands well and truly full with Seattle. IMHO, a much more stringent test for our team than NYRB. Away from home. 4 games into the season. More experienced MLS team as well.

I'm sure the lack of any real news as to the severity of Josef's injury is gamesmanship, making Seattle prepare for him. I'm just hopeful that Seattle isn't wasting their time. ;)