Post-match: Seattle Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes (Wednesday, 4/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Apr 25, 2019.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those shit always think their guys get fouled, and always believe that any fouls called against them are biased, or the ref cheating or trying to even things up. Most of them don’t know crap about the game either. Turds!

Go Quakes!!
    F@#$ shittle!!

- Mark

2. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Black and Azul Seattle postgame:

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the unexpected shots from 30 yards from varying people (Shea, Espinoza, Magnus, Godoy, Yueill, Lima) also adds to the perception of chaos for an MLS defender.

In MLS, it seems that players are reluctant to take a shot and waste the more conservative opportunity to advance the ball. But it would seem Almeyda is encouraging more of those longer shots from the midfield. :thumbsdown:

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Seattle fans pissed off again by LAFC. They had 14 fouls to LA’s 7 plus they had 2 red cards. It’s all the Quake’s fault because we were so physical against them on Weds. LOL

5. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the first red card was pathetically wrong (VC by Christian Roldan, inadvertent hand to the face), and it was in the 18th minute. Not only did Seattle keep LAFC from scoring for the rest of the game, they also had more offense even though a man down. The 2nd ejection was for DOGSO in stoppage time.

So actually, Seattle did really well, and their fans were incredibly loud and supportive, with a packed stadium. Seattle has lots to be proud of.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not convinced Roldan's hand-to-the-face was inadvertent, and LAFC had plenty of offense while up a man. Sounders did well to protect the draw down a man for 75 minutes. They are a very good team, but they were also lucky several times not to be scored upon. (Ramirez missed a wide open net from an inch away, after all.)

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imo it was intentional, however, the LAFC player should get fined for being an embellishing little bitch.

8. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Doesn't matter you are not allowed to "touch" another players head/face.

alexiskool1991 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If that were true, and strictly enforced, every time players inadvertently nocked noggins vying for goal kick, they would each earn red cards. There's an implicit intent or recklessness element in the rule's application, if not its letter.

10. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I really do not know the LOTG very well, but I think this particular one specifically applies to hands/arms only.

bsman and alexiskool1991 repped this.
  11. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

mjlee22 repped this.
  12. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  13. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Yeah, it is a knee-jerk reaction to try and "fix" previous times when we feel a ref/judge "got it wrong" by adding a minimum sentence in law. It doesn't usually work that well. I am all for giving the ref the ability to review the facts on video, but I also think there is no avoiding discretion in the ref/judge position. And attempts to remove discretion by adding nit-picky rules just lead to a different kind of nonsense. E.g. a red card for a playful interaction where neither player upset.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't like the Anglo-American system of following precedent?

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think that principle is being followed nearly as consistently as it was in the past century...

due time repped this.
  16. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I think it is conceptually flawed to think that you can remove discretion from judging by piling on laws. Discretion finds a way and piles of laws are like piles of medications: the interactions are unpredictable. You cause as many problems as you fix, and the ones you cause are more complicated because they are starting from an inherently more complicated position: you have the full starting set of problems and now a full set of "fixes" to deal with.

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cannot disagree with your abstract principle (did I spell that right?), but how are you applying it in this case?

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Appellate advocacy -- one of the glories of Anglo-American jurisprudence! :)

19. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    Refs could always give a red card for a hand in a face if it was warranted. Now they "have to". Except they don't always.