News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  2. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    65D3E11D-DC9E-47EC-AD6C-03E6734C3592.jpeg C7E36BAA-B2C7-4B74-8BCB-A989DC1DCBC0.jpeg 7D787419-5109-4E13-909A-DC928BA61C5F.jpeg Enjoy tonight guys as it will stay with you forever. Love to be there but Europa League is calling!

We went out there for the Belgium v Japan game (see above!) and they were working hard to ensure tonight’s success.

Will be taking in games as soon as I get back.

Enjoy!!

Winoman repped this.
  3. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    interesting that the west side field seats are just chairs again and not permanent seats

Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.
  4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How do we think Simpson will do as the new majority owner?

ElApacheTevez, PSURoss, ejs1111 and 7 others repped this.
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So instead of concrete.....

6. Dizi

Dizi Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Some of us feel betrayed...but, honestly, how let down must she feel by the team for cutting corners on something like that?

I wish her a speedy recovery and hope that nobody gets hurt at AF

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was literally sitting in my seat in 110 thinking to myself "Nice to have a roof over my head and not have to worry about a piece of concrete falling in me." So much for that.

8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From pictures it seems like a railing piece is what fell. It seems they are snapped on top of a bar and the one that fell wasn’t secured. Perhaps it was a design flaw or someone didn’t install it correctly but that would be on Turner and not DCU.

The team is still ultimate responsible so hopefully they are going to check every railing in the place prior to next match.

James

Winoman repped this.
  9. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW - cameras are still working.

James

Winoman repped this.
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I was nearby when the metal railing fell. It was at the bottom of the stairs in the southwest corner section and fell probably about 12 or so feet to the ground. I heard a very loud clang and looked over to see what it was. I didn't see anyone injured, but I did see the piece of metal on the ground, and after that a couple of guys walked toward the noise looking pretty concerned (probably from the construction firm). If the reporter was hit squarely by the metal she could be very seriously hurt. It was about 4 feet long and wasn't light.

Great to finally see the place open despite the problems. They have 10 days to improve on tonight's performance, but all things considered, plus the fact that they didn't have a soft opening, the stadium and staff did pretty well in my view.

It was strange to be in a new stadium, and frankly, with all the time the team spent on the road this year, plus the World Cup, I haven't really paid that much attention to DC United. The crowd seemed pretty tame for a sell out but it warmed up as the game wore on. The supporter's group(s) didn't seem as loud as it was at RFK from my vantage point in the upper midfield on the east side. I think the lack of a room on the ends of the stadium dissipates noise more than the enclosed bowl of RFK.

On the plus side, the stadium doesn't have a bad seat as far as I could tell from strolling around. The only negatives are that some of the concourses seemed small and got pretty crowded to get through.

I'm curious about other people's first impressions of the stadium experience.

Winoman and sitruc repped this.
  11. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    I didn't realize it but DC United apparently has adopted a dynamic pricing where ticket prices for in demand games are higher. I noticed this when I put one of my tickets up for resale late yesterday afternoon. I priced it to cover my cost which was a lot lower than the prices going for other tickets. If you look at future games, the ticket prices vary (among other things Weds. games are cheaper, which makes sense). Based on my resale, if DC didn't sell out it's because the dynamic pricing was too high as my ticket sold pretty quickly. Selling the ticket was fortunate because I couldn't figure out how to turn it back for Fan Allocation Money using the app or account manager. So they say you can use FAM to get tickets to another game. Turning back a ticket on game day gets you 60% of the ticket price. With dynamic pricing, you'll occasionally have to pay more than what you paid for your season ticket to pick up a ticket or another game. Even if you get 100% of your price in FAM, it may not be enough to get a ticket to another game. The downside of the small stadium is you won't have nearly the same options to pick up tickets for other games when you can't attend. I guess the resale option is where we'll have to look to get our money's worth.

Winoman repped this.
  12. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I am not an architecture buff like many of you are, but I was underwhelmed with the building - it seems cheap and shitty, not the palace you would expect from everybody swooning over it. I am extremely impressed that they threw the thing up in such a short period of time. Not a bad seat in the house, but if they didn't mange that it would have been total failure.

fatbastard repped this.
  13. usadcu

usadcu Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Atmosphere and noise in the stadium were not as loud as at past "big event" games at RFK. SG squabbles? High ratio of looky-loos and Rooney-roos? (one note on that is that RFK held ~45k in its recent configuration, this place only 20k)

Great views and not a bad seat in the house.

Bathrooms lines seemed to move quickly.

The mobile ticketing seemed to go well - unless it didn't.

The metro & walk to and from the stadium worked reasonably well.

The portals into the stands from the concourse, and the concourses themselves are narrow. Lots of congestion when this stadium is full.

Lots of work remains to be done. Signs were often temporary. Random malfunctioning or broken equipment here and there. The concessions were overwhelmed both in terms of staff and the facilities - I heard one cashier calling repeatedly for a supervisor as her register screen had locked up. The lines were long everywhere. The concourse vendors with beer in boxes were the only saving grace.

unexpected negative: the pre-game yelling man on the stadium PA.
    unexpected positive: really nice views *from* the stadium of DC and NoVa.

14. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was genuinely surprised and pleased by how much of DC and VA could be seen from the East stands. Some of this view will get lost if they ever put the rest of that shell on the West stands between the top of the seats and the roof, but it's certainly enjoyable for now.

Capt. Socceroo, Winoman and roadkit repped this.
  15. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positives: The views are excellent within and without. The sound system is actually understandable. A main display that's not missing any pixels. The food selection is great. It holds sound better than I was expecting. The field-level suites led to some entertaining moments where people watching their phones instead of the game were under fire from errant balls now and again right in front of us.

It's ours, and it's finally here.

Negatives: There's no easy way driving in or out. The concession lines were....chaotic.The sound system is a bit loud for how audible it is. They seriously need more exit doors than the main gates. Field-level suites seem to prevent ballkids from being anywhere within the center 75 yards of the pitch. There aren't nearly enough drums.

ejs1111, Winoman, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  16. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    get rid of the hype man now!
    itslike the FO knew it would be quieter than normal.....

17. 12th Man

12th Man Member

DC United, US National, Benfica
    Mar 22, 2001
    NoVA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    STM since 1996. Easy run through security and bar code reader but time of arrival may be a factor. We arrived and entered at 6:45. West side view great except for the sideline throw-ins and corner kicks from first row. Right on top of play with sufficient elevation to see play develop as well as see angles from a player's perspective and hear player chatter. Seats seem narrower than RFK. Then maybe I gained weight!

No long restroom lines when used. Did not sample the food and prices are what one comes to expect at many athletic venues. Parking at Ft. McNair easy to get into but long delays departing after the game. Took twice as long as leaving RFK parking but it's free!! Going to experiment with various driving routes into and out of Audi field and may consider Metro.

Overall experience was positive. Missed seeing the Barra Brava and DU and the passion they bring. Saw a BB banner displayed upside down. The noise level not as loud and passion of chants not as evident as a result. Get rid of the hype guy!!

usadcu, Winoman, D C B 2 3 and 1 other person repped this.
  18. ATPDC

ATPDC Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Manhattan
    Commute

I walked to the game from my house which is two blocks South of Cap South Metro and it was an easy and enjoyable one. It was great to see DCU fans on the street as I headed to the Stadium.

Pregame

Great pre-game spots along the way and I think The Salt Line is a perfect spot and it was packed with DCU fans and All Star game folks. All Purpose was packed as well with the same. Two great spots on the water really has me excited for the possibilities here including more to come as the companion building is currently under construction. Going to be an amazing backdrop when the new Fredrick Douglas bridge is finished and lit with its arches.

Entry

I finished pregame and walked to the stadium with little time to spare. Not a terrible entry experience but I feel sorry for the poor bastards that has to wait in the locker line with their WAGs. That thing was wrapped around the corner at 6:45.

Stadium

Certainly not a Mecca like LAFC or ATL but it’ll do. I was sitting in 134 and it was hard to see what was happening on the line in the NW corner. Really hope they are still spending on details. Nowhere near what we thought we were getting in original renderings.

Here’s a video I took you might find interesting.

19. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    Strange to see a Monday morning with no workers on site. We retiring this thread?

20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Karma may have already communicated the message to the FO's VP of Communications written on a suggestions form made from a railing cap. Don't wish her ill, but it was ironic.

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Longest I've heard them vocalize without saying *uck.

22. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    surely they will still be working during times like now right? The stadium is still not complete is it? Aren't they supposed to get permanent signage to replace the tarps?
    Don't they need to go around with a punch list? Check the railings at least!? :confused:

23. ejs1111

ejs1111 Member

Aston Villa | DC United
    Mar 1, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    web cam pics updated. I see hard hat workers on site. They are working today. Prolly just a smaller crew.

Winoman, sitruc and D C B 2 3 repped this.
  24. DC Braveheart

DC Braveheart Member

D.C. United
    Scotland
    Jan 2, 2001
    Oak Hill, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I see some on cam right now. They have some fixing to do I expect :)

Damn, ejs beat me to it.

Winoman and ejs1111 repped this.