News: Screw you Lucy - Buzzard Point Stadium News Thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Sang_Culé

Sang_Culé Member

Jan 23, 2015
    DMV
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you guys think Loudoun has the population numbers to fill up the 5K stadium every game?

2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Loudon County Gray Ghosts. Make it so.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  3. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Have you been out to Loudoun County recently? The answer is "hell yes." Place is overrun with suburban development.

sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  4. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of parts of Fairfax County will be as close or closer to the dcu2 stadium than the dcu1 stadium.

Winoman, sitruc and NicktheGreek repped this.
  5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    It is worth mentioning, and will hopefully put money in the right pockets for once. I hope they won't carry on the extortion like practices of the DCSC and whatever the Hell they call their successors. My concern is that the playing surface stays as well groomed as Jackie Gleason's pool table and actually will (long term thinking) help United's passing and ball control. Oh yeah and world peace, a cure for cancer and firm Ta-Tas too.

Winoman repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yes. It's not exactly a small county and it's next to the largest county in Virginia. It's still the DC market and part of northern Virginia. The county residents fill a few high school football stadiums every Friday night during the Fall. There are plenty of people. It may still somehow be less convenient than the Soccerplex for most, but we go to Spirit games out there too.

Winoman repped this.
  7. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You really think naming the team after confederate soldiers would be a good marketing move? I would figure the owners were white nationalists and I would never go to a game. I wonder how black athletes would feel about being gray ghosts.

8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just teasing.

9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's got to be the Hounds. Awoooo!

10. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Well that will certainly alienate the cat lovers out there who may believe the team owners discriminates against them, take umbrage and preemptively refuse to attend. Will cat owning athletes of any race, creed, national origin, religious belief ,or sexual orientation feel hesitant about playing for the team?

Winoman repped this.
  11. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do dog lovers refuse to attend football games which include the LSU Tigers; Jacksonville Jaguars; Detroit Lions; et. al. ?

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Was there a season ticket/stadium event today?

13. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Shoulda put one of those sarcasm thingies on the end, I thought it was dripping off the post like grease from a bucket of KFC

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    At some point you need to understand that joking about genocide isn't always funny.

ImNumberTen and DC_Josh repped this.
  15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Show me a genocide joke I made and I'll consider your whining, You need to do as most others do and stop taking yourself so seriously. I hope this isn't too personal so you complain again, so I'm doing my best not to hurt your feelings

JayRockers! repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    This Confederacy shit needs to just stop. It's not funny. It's not representative of anything the organization or Loudoun County should be about.
    A couple of guys driving near the site asked me where a good place to park was yesterday. I didn't know why they asked me. I was wearing a DC United jacket and walking around the site so they thought I was going to some event for the stadium. One appeared to be wearing a United scarf, but I didn't get a good look at them. I told them I didn't know about any event and hadn't seen signs of an event.. They said it was for season ticket holders. I believe my reaction was, "Ouch. I am a season ticket holder." I told them what was available south of the site since 2nd St directly west of the stadium as well as R St north of the site are completely fenced off for tearing up and completely re-building those roads. I didn't enter the closed streets yesterday or at any point last week. I did today.

I noted before that I was a little surprised the roads were completely closed due to how road construction took place elsewhere around the site. I get more than a little angry every time I see even a portion of a road closed (not for a simple resurfacing, but a complete rebuild) while knowing a PEPCO line goes under the east stands and supposedly limited the team's options. The line limiting the team was always a bullshit excuse.

The east buildings are coming along quite a bit and obviously much more impressive than initially poorly planned. Also impressive is the amount of steel that has gone up for the east buildings, but there is still a good amount to go. There might be a few more small pieces of concrete to be put in place on the east side, but it is mostly the south stand and southeast corner that remain. It's hard to see a lot of the more significant progress. Most of the south/team building has long been enclosed. Concrete masonry is enclosing rooms along the west and north stands while it's also difficult to observe the work on some levels of the east buildings.

Here are some attempts to make the area look desolate. I like the low angle, fence shot from south of the site that doesn't make parking lots obvious.

201801_10.jpg 201801_9.jpg 201801_8.jpg 201801_7.jpg 201801_6.jpg 201801_5.jpg 201801_4.jpg 201801_3.jpg 201801_2.jpg 201801_1.jpg

fatbastard, Dizi, TheJoeGreene and 3 others repped this.
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Wait... wait... wait... you're trying to make an equivalency between my going out to the stadium site to make a contribution to this thread that includes descriptions and photos with hopes that United's USL team references the Confederacy? Oh, it was the years of kidding about hating Canadians while making meaningful contributions to this thread that is somehow the same as Loudoun and United endorsing the Confederacy. Good thing I didn't mention the Ontario tagged minivan in a PEPCO parking area by the Buzzard Point Plant yesterday. I have never said the organization or city should be about birds other than Talon. I've observed them around/on the site. Canadians don't have shit to do with United other than being shitty second year players for United like every other nationality. Repeatedly referencing the Confederacy and thinking it's funny is ********ed up especially when barely the minimum was done to change thinking or actions in the former Confederate territories after the war. It's ********ed up when the descendants of slaves have to deal with people constantly diminishing what the Confederacy was, but yeah... that's equivalent to going to the location in the title of this thread and noting what is happening there.

******** Metro charging for parking on Saturdays.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Webcam #2 has been off since Saturday night.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    With the sixth canopy support currently being put in place, half of the east side supports are now installed.

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  20. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y’all this is all so boring.

If you get mad about it then the terrorists win.

So it’s been 13 days since east roof supports started going up.

21. D C B 2 3

D C B 2 3 Member+

Nov 18, 2007
    VA
    North side clubhouse is going vertical.

Winoman, Peter Bonetti and sitruc repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That steel was sitting there all weekend. I was wondering if that was next since it wasn't the normal locations for stuff for the east.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reports that there will be a topping out ceremony for Audi Field on January 26.

Winoman, Adler and sitruc repped this.
  24. Adler

Adler Member+

Aug 20, 2003
    das Schloss Adler
    Club:
    DC United
    Does anyone have any details?
    What exactly is Goff reporting and what sort of "ceremony" is being planned, and by whom?
    Nothing on dcunited.com yet.
    Thanks

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All I have seen so far is the Goff tweet. I haven't seen anything from the team or Mayor anywhere. The Entertainment and Sports Arena just topped out last week. That appeared to be a larger event for the crews with the Mystics and some media also there. I posted a few tweets from that event. It's almost hard to imagine a topping off ceremony. Would it be for some part of the east structures, the team store,a lighting array or even an entrance? I have no idea especially with the current street closures.