Scotland v Serbia/Macedonia (double header) [R]

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by frasermc, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pretty disappointing result. After 2 home games without a win, it doesn't look good.

If Levein should be sacked, I'd go for Gordon Strachan. What do you Scots think about this?

frasermc repped this.
  2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Once specky is inevitably punted due to the backlash from fans I'd like to see Souness or McLeish appointed....the former would take no prisoners, the latter did well during his previous stint as Scotland manager and would get the best out of a decidedly average bunch of players. Owen Coyle or Paul Lambert would be good too....hell, even Strachan would do. I'd just like to see the incumbent GTF. Much like the morose George Burley, he is an utterly uninspiring and uncharismatic figure. But hey, we've still got 24 points to play for.....:thumbsdown:

3. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    In a word, yes.

4. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Personally I thought it was poor. But then I don't know how many times I've seen Scotland start a game like that. We just looked nervous.

5. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I lay the blame squarely at Levein for that. He offers no inspiration in his players, nor does he seem to inspire any confidence in them.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't argue that Levein is a wet noodle, but if the players can't get motivated for playing two key (and winnable) matches at Hampden, then it doesn't matter who's managing the squad.

7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't believe the issue is motivation for the players. I think it's more to do with confidence and having the proper mindset.

For me, sending the team out in a 4-1-4-1 formation for both, more than winnable, home games, suggests to the players that your manager doesn't have the confidence in you being able to go out and attack these teams and beat them.

It's a defensive, lets try and sneak a goal but be absolutely certain we don't lose 1 because if you do you wont be good enough to get 2.

It isn't sending the correct message to the players before they take the field. God only knows what his team talks are like before and at HT...

8. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Levein has to go. I'd love to see Gordon Strachan come in and I think he'd be up for it. I'd take Alex McLeish back in a heartbeat too. Smith, I wouldn't be happy with but I'd ather have him than Levein. Even someone like Billy Davies I'd take.

9. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Might be time to try and pry Jonjo Shelvey from England...like immediately. He's pretty much forced his way into Liverpool's starting XI. I'd honestly rather see him play for Scotland, because he's got Gerrard potential. The type of player Scotland needs (other than a striker).

frasermc repped this.
  10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I had no idea he was an option for Scotland until you posted this.

I'd imagine the current incumbent in the national team managerial hotseat probably has no idea either... :rolleyes:

Would certainly be a good option in our depleted central mid area

11. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Craig Levein actually contacted him right at the end of August before the qualifiers. Shelvey has stated that he's seriously considering Scotland, as that's where his grandfather was born, and that they've shown a ton of interest in him.

12. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shelvey's "one for the future". I'm not so sure he's ready for full internationals.

13. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    I think if Levein's going to dip into the "ancestry" market I'd prefer him to go for McEachran.

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    We should consider capping him at least, especially at a time when both Fletcher and Brown were injured, leaving us struggling in the central mid area.