Scoring from a dropped ball

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ghastly Officiating, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    What are you implying, sir? :mad:

dadman repped this.
  2. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Indeed I sought not to imply, rather to opine and declare for the ability to at long last reap the benefit due a player of my particular...seasoning.

Thing is, I'm a 'keeper, so it's not likely I'd get to actually use this. But like Loretta in Life of Brian, it's important that I have the right to do so.

SccrDon, dadman and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but regardless of what Rule 8 tries to do or doesn't try to do it would be impossible to restart with 22 players in the same place. Even with replay and no time limit on how long the game could be delayed telling each player where to go, the location of the players for the restart would be off slightly given that the field does not have yard lines like football.

What does the S in SOTG mean?

4. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Spirit

dadman repped this.
  5. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    I've told this story before on one of the threads. Number of years ago, U14B, attacking player is cleanly tackled just as he shoots and stays down, perhaps injured. Keeper gathers in the ball, I blow whistle and check on the player. After a few seconds he struggles up and is ready to go. I get ball from keeper, drop it on the ground right in front of him and yell 'Play!'

Opposing coach goes ballistic, I ignore him and he quiets down. Until the match is over, when he runs to me "there have to be two players for a dropped ball!" and on and on. "No", I say. "Yes", he says, "I'll show you!" And he goes running off to the parking lot - a good quarter of a mile away.

AR's and I debrief game, and about when we're ready to leave he comes running up, breathless, USSF printing of LOTG in his hand. "Look!" he says. At that time this printing had a drawing of two players (youth) ready to contest for a dropped ball. I said, "That's the picture, but read the Law." He sputtered, complained, and we walked away.

dadman repped this.
  6. kayakhorn

kayakhorn Member+

Oct 10, 2011
    Arkansas
    I read that as "older, wider", but not because I resemble that remark. Of course not...:oops:

SccrDon and dadman repped this.
  7. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had this happen in a girls HS playoff game last year. Visiting player hurt (a team I had never officiated before) Home team has possession towards center of field but I stop to attend the injured player. I restart with a dropped ball that the visiting team go up to. I just announce that the sporting thing to do is to kick it back to the home team to restart. She nods at me and I drop the ball. That she passes to her teammate and they try to bolt up the pitch to try and score... Later in the game same thing happens, this time I just announce to the home team that the last time an uncontested DB was played by the visiting team, they tried to score on you... Then they came up and contested the DB. All I do is make suggestions.

Thankfully in HS at least they changed that law so the team in control when a player is injured restarts with an IDFK. Sometimes NHFS gets it. Sometimes...

dadman repped this.
  8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    ???

9. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home team wasn't really advancing and player that got hurt looked bad enough to stop play. Is that what you are wondering???

10. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think what he is wondering is why under NFHS rules you had a DB when a team was in possession of the ball at the time you stopped play.

frankieboylampard and Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  11. Ickshter

Ickshter Member+

Manchester City
    Mar 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T
    The game was before that rule went into effect. As far as I have known (and it might have been just WI) This was a new rule that went into effect this year, maybe I was wrong, but we covered it in the rules meeting over the summer.

12. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been in the rules for NFHS for many years, I guess states can over-ride that but not sure. Maybe they covered it as some were getting it wrong - we cover many topics that are reminders/refreshers as well as changes.

Bubba Atlanta repped this.
  13. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #38 Kit, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Of course, you can score directly off a DB in NFHS rules AND the DB is supposed to be between two players!

NFHS Rule 9-2-3 "The ball is dropped by an official from waist level to the ground between two opposing players."

14. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    NFHS DB is only if neither team was in possession when you stopped play. (And it doesn't say anything about how close the two players have to be, only that it be between them. :whistling:)

dadman, Gary V and IASocFan repped this.
  15. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Apropos of nothing, I had so many instances of "Can we sub?" at non-NFHS subbing opportunities, I'm not sure how many people even realize that DB is a different critter in NFHS and USSF.

Not that it matters whether they realize it...just sayin'...

If I were king, one of my first-week edicts would be:
    IF Soccer
    THEN LOTG
    ELSE Not giving you any refs, have fun with your activity, you guys should try soccer​

meyers and dadman repped this.
  16. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    #41 djmtxref, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    Back to the subject of this thread. On Sunday at our MBB league a senior ref tells us the story of what happened in his game earlier that day. There was an injury, he blew the whistle, tried to set up a "fair play" drop ball and instead the player takes off and dribbles from midfield to his attacking end and scores. "What could I do" says the ref?

After clarifying that it was indeed one player who did all of the action, the three of us listening look at him and together say "follow the laws of the game and give a goal kick". Story teller tries to tell us that on a drop ball the LOTG say the ball is in play when it hits the ground. I ask if he ever pays attention at recerts? The college kid standing there politely explains the relevant change in the Laws. :(

(edited for clarity following code1390)

dadman repped this.
  17. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an application developer, this is probably my new favorite post.

dadman repped this.
  18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to clarify, I'm assuming "first game" means first game of that day?

I suspect with the recent law changes, stuff like this happens all over. I hope knows about the DOGSO changes...

djmtxref repped this.
  19. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, he's not wrong in that.
    He probably WAS wrong in that he missed it.

Hopefully it was covered in his recert :unsure:

20. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What recert. Most of them are online now, and other than the video portion of ours you could pass by finding the answers in a psychology book just as easily as the laws.

21. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer is all or none of the above.

22. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    We have both choices in our area. I know that he attended the in-person recert this year. There is disagreement on whether this was reviewed in this year's recert (I have been told I imagined it o_O).

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Don't worry about it overmuch. I often hallucinate in recert classes.

djmtxref repped this.
  24. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Really? So the game is just an exhibition for the referees to show their knowledge of the LOTG?

Soccer Dad & Ref repped this.
  25. camconcay

camconcay Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Feb 17, 2011
    Georgia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not arguing that at all, I was just going off the original post that mentioned recert. Can't speak to @djmtxref specific situation as I am in Georgia but we try to cover the "stuff" that our audience will most likely see as we have 4 hours to cover a LOT of "stuff".