Schwab sacked at Hawthorn {R}

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by babytiger2001, Jul 21, 2004.

1. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Schwab quits Hawks -- The Herald Sun

Schwab set to walk? -- sportal.com.au

Shouldn't really come as a surprise, seeing that Hawthorn is bottom of the ladder in the AFL, and the season has been one disappointment after another.

Schwab did indeed confirm the rumours at a press conference about an hour ago, and I'll have the news item soon after it becomes available.

2. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About time. Why the [R]? It's not like the thread title is holding any info back. ;)

3. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, was he pushed, or did he do the jumping? The members of our community still need to guess about that. :p

Here's the updated news item-- and a couple of different links here...

Schwab out after 2004 -- foxsports.news.com.au

Schwab signals end -- sportal.com.au

I think at the end of the day, if there was ever someone who the expression "he fell on his sword" was ever so fitting, it was Peter Schwab. Granted, at the end of the 2003 season, he had the Hawks going in the right direction after a lacklustre first half of the season. So much so, that Schwab was led to believe that the Hawks could vie for the premiership flag in 2004.

Yet as Hawthorn are likely to be wooden spooners this year, that position only tells part of the story-- sure, Hawthorn have had a host of injuries, including a season-ending broken arm to captain Shane Crawford, the fact that vice captain Nathan Thompson is trying to maintain form on the field while playing through a diagnosis with clinical depression, but maybe Schwab gravely over-estimated the potential on his team's list.

And he's had to pay the ultimate price.

But what else went wrong? I know we have a couple of other astute Hawthorn fans on this forum (calling out here to goaldrush and Spartacus), and maybe they can shed some light as to why this event has come to pass.

4. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter Schwab was told by the Hawthorn board that his contract would be terminated and that they were looking for a coach who would be there for a 3-5 year period to rebuild the club, starting in 2005. Some credit has to go to Schwab for accepting the club's decision. He was contracted until the end of 2005, but as it was clear he wasn't going to be coaching beyond his contract, he decided to put the club's interests first and will leave at the end of the season.

5. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    I am absolutely seething at Ian Dicker who sacked Hawthorn Coach Peter Schwab.

I just wish that it didn't happen.

It was a woeful decision by Ian Dicker

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the woeful part, Suz, is Hawthorn's record under Schwabby-- which isn't all that much different than Richmond's record has been under Danny Frawley.

Coaching is a results-oriented business, measured in terms of wins and losses, and if you don't get the job done, you get the sack.

Unfortunate, yes, but that's life and the way of the world.

7. hiddink_magic

hiddink_magic New Member

Feb 27, 2003
    Wendouree
    He shouldn't have been sacked.

I think if they go and replace Schwabby they should find somebody just as good as what he was. Somebody like Terry Wallace.

8. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    The funny thing is, his win/loss percentage before the start of this season was around 54%, so his record wasn't as bad as it's been made out to be. I think the fact he seriously over-estimated the ability of his players on his list counted against him, along with the fact the Hawks players weren't playing for him anymore which ultimately led to his demise.

9. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
  10. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting choice, and we can safely assume he wasn't the Hawthorn board's first choice, after Wallace and Eade preferred other clubs.

Funny thing is that Clarkson's name only surfaced in the last few days or so-- so what made Jason Dunstall, Dermott Brereton and others on the Hawthorn board prefer him over more experienced names, such as Gary Ayres?

However, it's good to see Hawthorn get its coaching situation squared away, especially after Shane Crawford resigned as club captain last week... here's to some much-needed stability at Glenferrie.

11. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    isn't he demanding to be traded? where does everyone think he'll end up?

12. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's demanding to be dealt, he knows he's a Hawthorn man through and through. I think that the media (and the Herald Sun in particular) is guilty of speculating that he would be gone, seeing that he is now a former captain of the club, especially after such a disgraceful year for the Hawks.

For the record, Collingwood, Carlton and Sydney have been the rumoured clubs-- but at $750,000 a season, who would be in a position to pick up Crawford's contract? That would be a major hit against any of those team's salary caps.

I say he stays at Glenferrie. It would be a damn shame if he didn't (and I have a hunch that he goes on "The Footy Show" tonight and announces that he stays and debunks all the trade rumours).

13. ScouseCat

ScouseCat New Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    From what I heard, the Hawthorn Board weren't exactly in agreement with the new coaching appointment, with some of them favouring Gary Ayres. Either way, the next Hawks coach was always going to be one who would do the hard yards to rebuild their club, as they don't have the quality of players to make the finals in the near future.

14. Tigerland

Tigerland New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    Cockatoo, Victoria
    I think Clarkson will do The Job For Hawthorn But I don't
    Think hell get them in the finals in the near Future.