Schalke at M’gladbach - McKennie stars

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by Midas Mulligan, Dec 9, 2017.

1. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Where was McKennie in all of that?

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wes released into the corner but his shaped diagonal lead pass is off enough to allow BMG to defend it. Schalke win it back and Wes is passed a ball under heavy pressure at the corner of the box, does a drag back and roll over, avoids his markers, turns inside and plays it to a teammate,

1-0 '36

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wes is 19 and doesn't look out of place in a game between two Top 50 teams in Europe.

The crucial battle in midfield, however, is between Kramer and Meyer, and the young guy is losing it.

freisland repped this.
  4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wes defending wide right of his box, BMG player cuts back and plays a low pass along the top of the box, resulting in a penalty appeal, denied after VAR because of a BMG foul before the cross.

1-0 '41

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It would be helpful if all color commentators and PBP guys were required to take 2 days of LOTG training before each season. They would sound marginally less stupid.

6. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Schalke now in more of a 3-4-1-2 on defense. Wes with a clearance.

1-0 '45

7. punintended_13

punintended_13 Member+

Atlanta United
    Mar 22, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I've seen a lot of people saying Wes is a 'defensive midfielder', but he's playing higher than Meyer and seems pretty comfortable high up the field.

I think there's a general confusion that he is a lot like Jonathan Gonzalez, but McKennie is consistently very high up the field. He is a two-way midfielder at heart, you can see it in his game.

Anderson11 and TMBMiles repped this.
  8. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    I thought overall he was great in the first half. Won multiple balls, had an interception, a huge sliding block at the edge of the box, and made some very slick passes to spring guys under pressure.

9. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    He's a true box to box midfielder- what the MNT has desperately needed.

wixson7 repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's what in French is called a récupérateur, and those guys don't have to be DMs.

He started playing closer to the defense, though, and moved more into a B2B role of late.

11. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Looked good. Made some excellent recoveries and was efficient in his passing. I think there were only two misplaced passes

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen anyone mention Wes in the same breath as JoGo. They play the game very differently. Schalke is making Wes be a 2-way mid. And when Wes plays too defensive is when he gets yanked, usually because Schalke is looking for the goal.

13. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to do that a lot when recovering on counters for some reason. Once he can do that he'll be glorious.

Also, Tedesco really has to start letting Wes go forward on corners. However good he becomes at soccer, the attribute that he'll always be best at is his vertical.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's pretty much the only way Shalke was gonna score. Great near-post OG by BMG. WesKinnine not invovled.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Glad for Shalke but BMG have been so much better. Stindl losing his stuff.

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    McK tries a seam-splitter. Good idea, but not much space and overhits to keeper. Would have had to have been weighted perfectly...

17. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Wes gets the ball above the box with Schalke on the move and waits for a run that was not going to come before forcing a pass.

1-1 '66

18. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I just started watching in the 65', and Schalke's had the better of the play, in my opinion. McKennie hasn't been super involved, but has had a couple deft touches in that span.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Gets fouled. Looked bad at first, but he popped up fine. Kind of awkward around the knees had me worried.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, they just notched it up a bit. It was all BMG in the first 65 or so. It really could easily be 3-0 (tho Shalke did have a goal called back themselves.) Shalke giving up too many wide right breakouts.

21. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Burgstaller should have won it there for Schalke.

22. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    The announcers said that McKennie has covered the most ground of any Schalke player. That aligns with the eye test. He really is going box-to-box.

HartwickFan, freisland and edcrocker repped this.
  23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Good away point for Schalke. Solid game for Wes today

TarHeels17 repped this.
  24. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I noticed about Wes' running, when he tries to catch up to an opponent in close courters he leans forward too much this causes him to actually run slower because he loses his balance in the first couple of steps. He is too heavy body wise to do that, he should try to do more power running instead which is more upright, specially when he needs to get off the blocks for shorts spurts.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  25. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    ie Claude Makalele