PBP: SC Braga vs. Sporting CP | Round 28

Discussion in 'Sporting CP' started by fdasilva, Mar 31, 2018.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Liga NOS - Round 28

SC Braga vs. Sporting CP

Date: Saturday, March 31st, 2018 | Time: 20:30 local time / 3:30 EST​

2. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Great start. Dost almost scored with a looping header but we've been dominant.

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    No PK? OK...

4. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Robbed of a PK. Took out Dost.

5. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Braga score (own goal by Mathieu) but the goal being reviewed for possible foul on Gelson. Its taking a long time though...

EDIT: No goal, still 0-0

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    God Acuna has so many options to pass and gives the ball away to Braga. Awful there.

7. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    This second half has been trash.

8. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Piccini sent off.

9. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Braga score.

Massive overhaul should be coming if BDC has any balls.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What a joke of a second half.

11. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    1 point from 4th place. 5 points from 1st and 2nd (could be 8 points from 1st by Monday).

A record investment this year for a league cup, possible Portugal Cup exit, and no Champions League qualification unless we win the Europa League. Good job JJ.

12. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What a joke man. JJ’s all but stamped his ticket out of town for me. 1 point from 4th place this late in the season is an absolute failure for the expectations set this year. We’re lucky to even be 1 point ahead tbh.

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Exactly, and 3rd place means no CL qualification. Only way we can dream of 2nd place is if Porto beat Benfica at the Luz, and we also beat Benfica at home (assuming we win the other 5 matches left).

But even so, there needs to be a period of reflection for everyone. This is a record breaking season in terms of expenditure. We have a coach who makes more than the other coaches in the league combined. What do we see? A team that promised in the beginning until around the time the Champions League group stage was over. And since then its been horrible performances, lucky wins - then there's the winter transfer window. Ah yes, baby Jesus needs his presents. So he got Wendel (who apprently doesn't count until next season), Misic, Ruben Ribeiro and Montero who stink. Then there's the horrible squad rotation. Yes we have a record number of games. But we also have a squad big enough to handle them which was the point of the large investment in the summer. And what do we see? The same players being thrown out constantly until they're run into the ground.

And the president also has thinking to do. He fell hook line and sinker for Braga's off the field tactics this week and this only motivates the opponent. The winning team today posted a picture with the caption "We respond on the field". Who is that in response to?

It's a joke that we are now considered to be closer to Braga's level than the big 3. We need a shakedown - not just a new coach but a proper football director, and people under him who can take a look at everything - we also have problems in our lower levels, we're not churning out the stars of the past, our B team is in danger of relegation, etc...

SCP21, theFOOTBALLlover and vilafria repped this.
  14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    This is one of things that hurts me the most, the complete distuction of our youth system. No matter where we finished, I could always be proud of our products essentially making up the national team. Now, were lucky to have 1 player make it. Braga has more youth players on average making the national teams. I dony even know what im supposed to be rpoud of with this club anymore. On top of this all, we have to listen to this Trumpesque idiot on facebook everyday with his Make Sporting Great Again campaign attacking anything and everyone. Ive never been embarrassed to support this club, but its really getting close

15. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Most of his positive contributions to the club have been overshadowed by the constant bickering and this backfired big time. I don't understand why we have a communications director if BdC just does all the communicating. PDC and LFV use their directors to do all the dirty work for them.

If we don't get 2nd place and assuming we don't reach the EL final, we will be out of CL. We can't afford to be paying a coach this much money and spending on players for no CL football. What we need to do:

- Cut the coach
    - Restructure the football hierarchy from top to bottom
    - No CL means we have to make a big sale, it is a World Cup year so a good performance on the NT could mean a big sale (William or Gelson)
    - keep key players in each sector: Rui Patricio for GK, Coates and Mathieu partnership, Bruno Fernandes in midfield, Dost in attack unless we get a good offer)
    - Cut the deadweight players (Ruben Ribeiro, Montero, Bryan, Bruno Cesar)
    - Bring back the loanees (Francisco Geraldes and Matheus Pereira are good players)
    - Establish a philosophy at the club from top to bottom that players and staff can identify with and use as a base or template.

natenate101, heavy1981 and SCP21 repped this.
  16. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Don't kid yourself, Benfica isn't losing anymore games this year.

17. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I hate to be the guy that roots for another team to win. But after all the crap this year with corruption if Benfica still wins the title, I might just stop following this league.

18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They've literally been investigate for 20 different corruption charges. If nothing happens, I'm done too. Can't invest time in a bullshit league that has as much legitimacy as professional wrestling.

19. heavy1981

heavy1981 Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We'll soon find out.

It's the same BS when Porto won the Penta. That year the relegated Boavista and deducted Porto 6 points when they had a 15 point lead.

Regarding Benfica, Investigation will come and go and everything will be archived as usual after seasons end.

20. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    LMAO Porto losing 2-0. Benfica gonna be in 1st....

21. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Porto crumbling down the stretch here makes this all the more a kick in the balls. They've left the door wide open, we SHOULD be right in the thick of it. Instead we're wishful thinkers.

If Porto chokes this away though, I'm curious to see what happens with Conceicao. Loved what he's done so far but the question has always been what will he do when things get rough.

22. OndaVerde

OndaVerde Member+

Sporting
    Portugal
    Feb 18, 2016
    Eu vou lá estar
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    And Benfica just slithers their way into 1st spot lol I called it a couple weeks ago, after all this Benfica will get the penta

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Amazing. Wonder why Porto didn't get 10 minutes stoppage like Benfica did against Belenenses.

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I don't think Conceicao is an amazing coach but when asked about the defensive mistakes that led to the loss:

"I am the leader of this team. The loss is entirely my fault."

Literally that sentence is impossible from our coach.

OndaVerde, heavy1981 and SCP21 repped this.
  25. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    LMAO word. I think I heard him say it once against Astana for playing Dost for no reason.