Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mancity17

mancity17 Member

Aug 15, 2018
    Ha, you should have played with him growing up. You were scared to mess up on the field!

Bill Archer and hungariansteven repped this.
  2. zoop

zoop Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Jul 22, 2018
    LOL! No.

3. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    porchlight and QuarkspaceDotCom repped this.
  4. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    It's almost like you have an inside man or something!

Bill Archer and Coupe repped this.
  5. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Despite these Alum retreats, some of Hejduk’s pent-up frustration came out last October in a series of tweets at Alex Stec, the Crew’s former brand journalist, who’d taken a job with FC Cincinnati two months earlier. Among other insults, Hejduk called Stec a “fake” and a “traitor.” In hashtag form, he wrote, “I stay on my boat until the end.”

At the front office’s direction, Hejduk called Stec to apologize the next morning. He says they’ve since high-fived, hugged and laughed over drinks. “Probably not a great moment in my career,” he recalls. “At a certain point, things hit a boiling point for me. Twitter can be dangerous at times.”

6. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Never got Spectrum Sports in HD as a current former insight customer. I was able to watch CW in HD or stream Spectrum Sports app via the Spectrum app. Funny that Spectrum couldn't even put their own channel on in HD. Going to have to stream alternate channel FSO games as we only get the main feed in HD, alternates for FSO are SD which is painful.

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I had NFL blackouts in my head.

8. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Being loyal when life gets tough can be an asset . Isn't Saved The Crew built on the same principle? Certainly! Over 12000 promised to stay in the fight and many like myself followed through . Frankie persevered his job. Great! Ashley I miss you! You are true as the Crew!

9. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Who is Ashley.

10. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Former sideline reporter?
    upload_2019-2-16_11-6-26.jpeg

TRUJDUB and porchlight repped this.
  11. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Damn you Precourt for letting her go. I would much rather be looking at her then who ever we have now.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THAN, Jack. Not then.

Shockingly, I have a question that actually is relevant to the ostensible topic of this thread:

Since it is fairly evident that the new ownership recognizes that the fans generally loathe the SC suffix, which was always pretty lame - and I notice that they're not using it in Austin, which says a lot - it seems like a safe bet that it will be dropped in the short term.

It's been speculated that they'll do a total rebrand next year and I'm OK either way, or maybe if they're going to do that they'll wait and do it in conjunction with the opening of the new place BUT:

Whatever the deal, if they are intending to go to Crew96 as seems very likely, I can't see buying Crew gear with Crew SC on it. I'd sooner buy Three Amigos logo gear from pre-2014 than spend money on anything SC.

Does this make sense?

13. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Of course it makes sense. Why would you want to wear anything Queso Boy related? But as we've found out through other sports these things are done some time in advance. And while we're at it, CrewSCat or whatever the hell he is called should die of heart worms soon.

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning Tim asked me if he was allowed to wear the new gear again. I have bought up a bunch of the hard hat gear over the past year or so. I snapped back that he could wear whatever he wanted.

Currently he has on the black ‘02 jersey.

CrewSchmack repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14765 Bill Archer, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    I'm sorry, but between CrewSCat and heart worms, I literally spit my drink laughing.

My sons and I still laugh about the time we were at a game and the opponent brought their mascot. Wish I could remember who.

Anyway, they did one of those sort-of-fake confrontations, but it seemed to me that the body English from whoever was in the CC suit was pissed off at this jerk showing up at his house.

Anyway, they were toe to toe and this drunk guy a row or two in front of us stands up and screams "KICK HIS ASS, CAT, I GOT YER BACK"

Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen there.

16. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clearly a man of taste and discernment.

russ repped this.
  17. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one with the polo collar and the yellow piping?
    Best. Black. Jersey. Ever.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. But so does feeling good about the team now and wanting to support it. Both views have merit.

If they do go rebrand/Crew96, I hope it is not a draconian rebrand that pretends nothing came before it and makes mentioning or referencing the past a cardinal sin.

That is one of things I detested about the SC reboot. FFS, let the Three Amigo badge fly proudly on the banners recognizing the 2002 Open Cup, 2004 SS, 2008 & '09 SS, and 2008 MLS Cup wins. It earned it.

If you want SC or Crew96 to exclipse what has gone before, get to work. You have 6 banners to win. Put the new badge on those.

But I am optimistic we do not go the draconian/insecure route.

TKyle, KCbus and LainfordExpress repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    In 2004, I went to see the late season F*re match as we were trying to clinch the shield. Thanks to an Edson Buddle free kick, we did so.

Anyway, the F*re mascot was a guy in a Dalmatian suit called Sparky. Sparky was in the stands to greet the kids but they all seem terrified of him. When he went to a section, they hid their eyes or ran. Maybe they knew something about him...

hungariansteven repped this.
  20. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t agree. But it absolutely makes sense.

For me, the new logo was the one thing that Queso Boy got right when he was here. I thought the logo was better after the rebrand then before, based on the name of the city being in it, the checkerboard and the 96. The Village People logo was cartoonish and goofy. Those, to me, were and still are practical improvements. And I doubt Precourt had anything to do with design; he said “do this” and someone else did it.

I don’t think of AP when I see the logo. I think of my favorite club. I don’t feel a need to purge it or avoid it simply because of who was in charge. I like the damn thing.

But that’s me. Mileages on this will absolutely vary. This whole thing was such a stressful, traumatic time that I’m certainly not going to fault anyone for feeling differently.

markxinger, Dr.Fever, Tobias C and 3 others repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14771 Bill Archer, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Maybe he was secretly Dave Greely.

russ and hungariansteven repped this.
  22. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Browns still have the helmet as the logo, which is a Modell legacy. He got rid of the elf and an attempt at a replacement failed.

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not saying I want it replaced because of the guy under whose ownership it was introduced.

I'm not even saying that I don't like it, aside from the SC part.

I'm just saying that anything one buys with that branding may become obsolete in less than a year. At which point I'll likely want to buy new stuff

stanger repped this.
  24. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like the SC part. I think American teams wanting to call themselves "FC" when the sport they play in is called Soccer in this country is just rank Eurosnobbery. So in my mind, "SC" is a gigantic f*** you in their direction.

It's the idea that they tried to jam it down everyone's throat with every mention of the club.

25. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    That's such a weird, childish take.