Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes.
    You can fry all sorts of things in it and achieve the “fried” taste without using nearly the amount of fat or oil. (I’m not saying that fat and oil is bad, mind you; all things in moderation. You can reduce the overall amount, thus reducing calories.)
    The other key thing is it dramatically reduces the amount of cooking time compared to oven baking.

2. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It's the fried equivalent of a sous vide machine.

BTW the people opposing the ticket tax came out and said they are going to try to pass a charter amendment to contest it by July when it goes into effect.

I am fairly sure we have passed the window for a referendum on the Confluence Village project but they made no mention of opposing it too. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this part though.

3. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just checked and there are only 31 tickets left in Nordecke. I wonder how many if any individual tickets they are holding back for Nordecke. Did they say at all?

4. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don’t hate Austin. I hate Precourt. So forgive me for posting something Precourt related.

But please tell me someone else read his quote about how he had to endure pain and agony over the past 18 months.

I had to vent. This makes my blood boil.

Draghignazzo, TheUltra and Bill Archer repped this.
  5. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Link Please

6. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
  7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    If you do it right, not much oil soaks into foods when you fry. This is what Richard Feynman said on the subject...

"Last night I heard that Wesson Oil doesn’t soak through food. Well, that’s true. It’s not dishonest; but the thing I’m talking about is not just a matter of not being dishonest, it’s a matter of scientific integrity, which is another level. The fact that should be added to that advertising statement is that no oils soak through food, if operated at a certain temperature. If operated at another temperature, they all will—including Wesson Oil."

http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/51/2/CargoCult.htm

I would be curious about how well air frying does compared to oil frying. The oil has a large amount of heat, and if you don't overload it, will maintain temperature. The moisture in the food evaporates and keeps the oil out as the food cooks. The air in the air fryer will does not have the heat capacity of the oil, so it just doesn't seem it will work as well.

8. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, would you look at Stanford professor Richard Knoll over here. Well done, sir. Repped.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listened to this again this morning and it's still amazing. I don't mind the crappy video but I do wish the sound quality was something a bit above cheap cell phone.

The best part is the audience reaction. They give her a polite reception but it's clear they're pretty surprised that Hannah Montana is going to be performing. But after her first trip through the refrain she owns the place.

10. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And doing it right means getting the oil hot enough before you put the food in. There's a big difference between boiling food in oil and flash frying. With the latter, you plunge the food into 375 degree oil and it immediately sears the outside of whatever it is, essentially creating a crust which oil doesn't soak through.

Wesson can claim it's them - and they have for years - but any oil behaves the same way.

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Totally agree. I'm sure if the video was better than a cheap sell phone you could probably see a few smirks, smiles, or eyebrows raised from the band members too. They knew what they were doing. They knew she would win them over.

Bill Archer repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12963 kgilbert78, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Not to mention Super Bowl winners Chris and Matt Bahr [Crew related--they both went to the same HS as Matt Napoleon], who both played in the NASL (where Chris was rookie of the year--I saw him play). But there are many other examples.

13. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Kyle Crew, stanger and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  14. djtrinidad

djtrinidad Member

May 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    TKyle, Ueberjames, Minnman and 1 other person repped this.
  15. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Draghignazzo, djtrinidad and Kryptonite repped this.
  16. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Temple of the Dog without Chris Cornell is Pearl Jam.

Draghignazzo, Robbiegoal, TKyle and 5 others repped this.
  17. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jack sticker, JB-CBUS221 and TrueCrew repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the Rock Hall induction thing they did a tribute to George Harrison with all the usual suspects- Petty, Lynne, Winwood, etc. - and for My Guitar Gently Weeps, Petty told Harrisons wife that he had asked Prince to play the solo.

She was vehemently against it, said he was the completely wrong guy. Petty being Petty told her to trust him.

The performance is on youtube . Petty said they probably rehearsed it 20 times and he was entirely happy with the result. Then on stage Prince just catches fire. Stunning. At one point you can clearly see Petty and Harrison's son, and then Jeff Lynn, glancing at each other with these huge grins. Prince had been holding back during rehearsals and even they were blown away.

The whole thing is well worth it, but Prince comes on - he's there on the far right, almost hidden until then - at 3:30 and tears the house down. It sure ain't Raspberry Beret

19. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    crew2112 repped this.
  20. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thank you for bringing this into my life. I'm not sure I've ever seen Connor stay engaged with something for 6 minutes until we watched this together just now.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've watched this so many times. It's so great.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that's a Walk Off....

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People get genre prejudiced in music. It really bugs me. Fact is, Hannah Montana can flat out sing & Prince could flat out play.

I can remember when Prince was rock. QFM played Purple Rain/When Doves Cry all the time back in the day. And for anyone who has ever seen the guy, he was amazing. Whether in pop, rock, piano, or dirty mode. And you usually got some of each, which was what I preferred.

Show me someone with some range.

Draghignazzo, Aaron d, TKyle and 2 others repped this.
  24. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this thought to twitter yesterday, but my new favorite micro-genre of youtube is black folks reacting to Chris Stapleton songs, mostly "Sometimes I Cry" and "Tennessee Whiskey"

They always start by saying, never heard this before, never listened or even thought about country music, here goes. Then they hear him....

One of my favs

He's absolutely one of the best out there right now. So happy he's come into his own and breaking through. If you haven't heard of him, check him out. If you have, feel good in knowing you're enjoying a national treasure in his prime.

He just needed a break. He played in a moderately successful bluegrass outfit, wrote a lot of songs for others. Here he is doing a cruise ship deal 8 years ago and just absolutely killing the vocal:

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.