Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I joined just to clarify that. With new nfl stadiums they do raise money through seat licenses, where you buy rights to buy season tickets. Those personal seat licenses then go toward the stadium. However, Columbus probably does not have the demand for that. LA, Dallas, and Vegas do for their NFL teams.

2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm sure you think you've made a clever point here. You have not.

3. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be the tagline for everything on the internet, let alone Big Soccer.

Case in point.

jack sticker and Ch(Elsey) repped this.
  4. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come for the clarification. Stay for the Sheep League.

TKyle, Draghignazzo, russ and 3 others repped this.
  5. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just want to know how much for a tailgating spot. That's my bogey.

TKyle and TyphonInc repped this.
  6. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll point out here that this was one of the methods used by the Blue Jackets here. It was one reason I did not get a season ticket package of some sort for a number of years. But the seat license requirement is no longer needed--at least for a quarter-season plan, which I've had for at least 5 years now, as at least one member of this board can attest to.

shoplifter and JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  7. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont like the idea of adding it to season ticket costs, as to your point it can negatively impact sales. I prefer to do what Audi Field did and just let people purchase a brick or something if they want. You can raise a comparable amount of money without the potential impact to ticket sales.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know you remember when they had those plans where you could get "4 seats for 20 games" or "2 seats for 10 games" and only buy one PSL.

I've long-since forgotten the exact numbers, but something like that.

I'm not sure PSLs would work in our case. It works for basketball/hockey teams because it's a year-round venue with lots of opportunities to buy advance tickets to other events. People will buy advance tickets to "hot ticket" shows just to scalp them to pay off the cost of their team's tickets...also, part of the reason why very few tickets make the public sale.

9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might do that if it were offered. It's not an uncommon fundraiser--I know similar things exist at the Air Force Museum, the Smithsonian's air annex out by Dulles, my alma mater's Alumni Center, and a gardens and park near where my SIL lives up in Lorain County (her family has two bricks there), just to give a couple of examples.

JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  10. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep--that did exist. Mrs KG (who is good with money) said no to that (though she likes hockey). So we used to get the six game packages. When the PSL restriction was lifted, we got a quarter season--which is enough for us.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to be clear, I was not saying Colorado is a suburban setting. You missed part of the conversation there. We were speaking of long term leases in suburbia that MLS cannot get out of (Dallas, Chicago, Chester) with 2 of 3 in the burbs and all 3 big markets that could do much better.

Colorado was my choice for new MLS poor metrics relocation whipping boy. All for a measly +2k attendence bump.

As for Porter, absent the possibility of GBS I would be fine with it. As it is, I think he clearly brings a lot less to the table. We need a coach who can attract talent to play here. GBS does that and Porter does not. And Porter got canned from a team with elite talent on it. Hope he has learned lessons.

russ repped this.
  12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I have something similar in my development: each house is required to pay a fee (it's a percentage of property value) each year which goes toward the developer's costs for the new intersections and associated roadway improvements into our development.

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a contradiction in the highlighted sentences. If Porter had a team with elite talent on it, as you state, that talent did not appear out of thin air. He at least has had coaching connections in Ohio, which may help to identify potential players for the academy and future Homegrown status. He's also at least partly responsible for two of our Homegrowns. So, we'll see.

I am not sure how GBS would (or perhaps will) do in MLS. He has one advantage most foreign coaches do not--he played here for some time and thus is somewhat aware of the arcane rules. But that was as a player. Porter? I concur with your first sentence. We'll see how he works out.

Ch(Elsey), Belgrano and TrueCrew repped this.
  14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t we love making assumptions. Did you want Porter live tweeting his activities so we could be assured he was trying to become a better coach. Who the hells know what he did or didn’t do. We want someone with ambitious but not too much that they would actually win something and use us as a stepping stone.

Without knowing who else the ownership group considered it’s hard to place whether this is a good hire or not. I just hope we win something.

Draghignazzo, Ch(Elsey) and Belgrano repped this.
  15. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think he was just playing fortnite

16. mancity17

mancity17 Member

Aug 15, 2018
    PUBG or GTFO

Belgrano repped this.
  17. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Disney World has the inscribed bricks between the bus drop offs and the main gate. It’s fun to have your name inscribed in a memorable place. But to think Disney or the Haslams need the money is ludicrous.
    Give the money to charity or another good cause and you may have something.

18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. But not a contradiction. You are assuming it was Porter that landed the talent. That is not necessarily true. Some of it was already there (like Trapp & Pipa for 3G) and the rest I attribute more to Paulson's checkbook & Portland's atmosphere. I do not think Diego Valeri rushed to Portland once he heard Porter was the coach.

However, I think there is a flaw in what I said. A big one. I am so used to Hunt/PSV level engagement here in terms of spending and marketing, that I assumed that the coach needs to be the draw for players.

That may not be the case anymore. Perhaps Haslam's checkbook, better marketing, and the atmosphere we create can be the draw here as it was (in my view) in Portland.

I also whiffed on a page or two upthread and missed the tidbit from GC96 on us reaching out to Guille. If he was not interested, then I have to just accept that and sing a different tune on the Porter hire. Mea culpa on that part.

I would hope some intrepid reporter would ask him what he has learned from what went wrong in Portland & how it has changed him or made him a better coach. Or something along those lines. If he does not have a good answer, then I am worried.

TKyle, Draghignazzo, Ch(Elsey) and 2 others repped this.
  19. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I have no idea what PUBG is. I also don't really know what a Fortnite is.

Flyer Fan and puttputtfc repped this.
  20. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What is the intent of all these rules? Why do we need them. I know very similar rules were in place in NJ in late 80's. I happily ignored them.

Do these rules just perpetuate without anyone asking what good do they serve? Honestly, if someone or some team is motivated to train year round, why should some busybody on a school board / state association have any say at all in it? It's ridiculous. The only rule I would give an ok to, is that they shouldn't be mandatory. But really if you want to compete and love your sport, why wouldn't you. If you lose your spot or lose a game to someone training better, tough noogies and you'll have learned something along the way.

21. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    You are missing out on PUBG. Big learning curve but great fun. Very tactical, intense play. Plus the chicken dinners are wonderful.

22. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What does it stand for?

24. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This is seriously annoying. As another comment, On Mike and Not Greenie, while they did include MLS Cup and Atlanta's win in just their 2nd season among the contenders for event of the weekend, they instead gave it to two def less impressive things, both NFL if I recall (and I am a big NFL fan). ESPN is or should be desperate for quality content. That they continue to thumb their nose at soccer is among the reasons they are tanking.

25. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Player Unknown's (that's the developer) Battlegrounds. But everyone just calls it PUBG (pub-gee).

Ch(Elsey) and hungariansteven repped this.
  26. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Again, you guys do a great job of culturing me.