Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ban him! Ban Him! he said something that could possible skewed towards a negative comment about Austin. /s

LainfordExpress and stanger repped this.
  2. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

If only. I would be so much more productive.

Side note: MLS State of the Union at 3 p.m.

Think these things will happen?

-"All along, we pursued a parallel path"
    -MLS takes credit for the Haslam's/Edwards Investments
    -Says Haslam/Edwards are still just a potential, uses ifs a lot
    -Says MLS listens to its fans and that is why Columbus might not move
    -Atlanta Attendance figures
    -Bringing in prime talent like Zlatan
    -"Excited for the potential of Austin"

3. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This has been a marathon of the worst sort. Its been an uphill race in nasty conditions. We’re exhausted and ready to drop out. But we’ve come to the crest of the last hill. We can now see the finish line and the cheering crowds. The end is near. The journey is almost over. Victory is within our grasp. Just a few more moments in time and we’ll have acheived our goal. Glory is upon us.

4. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both of these easily pass, with out much resistance (or multiple days of negotiations.) But the City and the Country are allotting funds that have already been set aside to do infrastructure improvements. I really see it as simple as:
    Speaker "Everyone in agreement that we use some of infrastructure budget for infrastructure?"
    Unanimous chorus of "Ayes"
    Speaker "The Ayes have it. Ok, the next item for discussion is..."

MLSinCleveland and stanger repped this.
  5. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So one of the big and important pieces of the City Council meeting was outlining how the funds are going to be used. They are going to be split between developing the infastructure around the new stadium, which they said would be nessisary and the city would so for any large development down there. The other portion and majority of it goes to the redevelopment of Mapfre as a park, which they pointed out would need to happen anyway if the Crew left. In fact the head of Parks said they have been working on developing a large scale athletics space like this for three years and even already had funds set aside. So basically all this is ordinary development the city was already working on or they would have to undertake anyway, they are just combining it with the Crew stadium to help get it all accomplished. I don't think anyone could really oppose it under that light.

Tobias C, ColumbusFTW, russ and 9 others repped this.
  6. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It will pass city council and the county commission easily, probably unanimously.

Opponents could challenge the appropriations in a referendum but aren't likely to try if it's a foregone conclusion they'll lose. It costs a couple million dollars to run a decent city or county wide campaign here and nobody will donate to a sure loser. With the business community, the unions, local officials, and leaders of the African-American community already on board, it's close to a done deal.

TyphonInc repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I think the real question is where the money will come from. If they've already been saving money, then that's a good explanation. If it meant cutting other programs or raising taxes, that would be more controversial.

8. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    #6883 jack sticker, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Jump in a plane to Indy? Just drive.

9. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had somewhat different thoughts earlier this week.

My little ones were running around the house doing the Save The Crew chant. I commented to my husband on how they experienced a sports experience rather unique. That they may, as long as they live (well at least Markus), remember chanting game after game, at home and away, Save The Crew.

Tobias C, TyphonInc, Belgrano and 2 others repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Indy is already on a plain. It's quite flat there. It's like Dallas: the highest elevations are the freeway flyovers.

11. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So with all the visibility and public appearances by Fischer and Edwards lately, where is Precourt and Greely? No public statements other than through ECPR. I know the lease agreement still has to be signed, but like, our stuff needs to go through council as well.

You think they would have held an event with the supporter groups giving updates, etc.

12. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you ever want kindly old Uncle Bill to come by and tell your children the tale of how their Mom got a Crew coach fired, let me know.

Tobias C, kgilbert78, russ and 14 others repped this.
  13. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    "Save the Crew" is literally my 3-year-old's favorite chant/ thing to sing. Sometimes in the grocery store, in an otherwise quiet isle. Or when he is waiting to get a haircut. Whenever. I unfortunately have to tell him to quiet down.

I swear I didn't coach him into doing that. But I guess if you see daddy do that at every game with everyone else... You take it home with you.

Tobias C, ibrew, SLSHOT01 and 1 other person repped this.
  14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You meant "Grandpa Bill", right? Right??

Draghignazzo repped this.
  15. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got your Grandpa Bill right here, pal.

Timon19 repped this.
  16. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Do you, by chance, have a cheese barn?

ZipSix, ColumbusFTW, CrewSchmack and 8 others repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got your cheese barn right here, pal

18. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried the Sawmill location earlier in the week. I wasn't crazy about the bbq sauce on the galley boy. My wife's regular double cheeseburger was strongly buttery. All in all, I'd still say it's above average, but I don't think I'll go out of my way to go there very often.

The fries and onion rings were, more average.

I'd probably travel further for Whataburger, tbh. Now if the Swanson's that was supposed to open in Hilliard does eventually happen, I may become a semi-regular.

19. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I just re-read one of the articles, and about the County's portion it says: "The city of Columbus and Franklin County are pledging $50 million each over 30 years to be managed by a community authority to support site development and infrastructure."

20. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Atlanta attendance and Zlatan already mentioned 15 minutes in (and I missed the first few minutes). I don't believe anything about the Crew have been brought up.

21. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than my kids who just yell “F U Precourt” out of the blue.

And my kids are 15, 17 and 19 year old girls.

CrewBeat, Tobias C, TyphonInc and 10 others repped this.
  22. MelbaToast

MelbaToast Member+

Jun 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    1000 Island + BBQ sauce on a patty I'm pretty sure has brown sugar mixed in. It's beautiful. I actually didn't like it the first time I tried it because I wasn't used to a burger with that mix of flavors. 2nd time got me hooked.

Timon19 repped this.
  23. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    You need to teach them to not be half ass about it. They need to say FCUK YOU Precourt.

TyphonInc repped this.
  24. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    And it's over. Columbus and Austin mentioned in the same breath and he's excited about the opportunities in each.

LainfordExpress and hungariansteven repped this.
  25. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Markus and Carigan know that part as 1, 2, 3, 4.

Family friendly, clap clap.