Saved the Crew

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BringBackGino

BringBackGino Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2018
    Worthington, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strip out the patented BringBackGino Hyperbole and Swearing (tm), and this is what I was saying a while ago.

Just because we have new ownership, we are not going to be a success out of the gate. There's a ton of baggage to deal with for hardcore fans, casual fans, and local businesses.

Hardware-winning soccer will not transform the market. Of course I would love more stars over the crest, but over the last 20 years, our attendance appears to track more closely with the economy than the quality on the field. Now we have all that damned baggage to deal with, plus the soccer channels which show a game superior to MLS.

This whole thing is going to take time, unless you subscribe to a "build it and they will come" mentality and think hardware will solve the problems puttputtfc mentioned. Given the state of things now, the sabotage and burnt bridges - plus the weirdness of MLS in general - that's an expensive gamble to take. I would also argue it's a naive one.

It's why I don't care, as we discussed, if Wolff is our coach for the next two or three years. I make decisions for a living, and if I have five big, complicated, important ones to make over the course of a quarter, and someone gives me a reasonable easy button for one of them, I take it. Here and now, I would push the easy button ten times out of ten on Wolff.

There's going to be a lot of work to do, and, it better be led by someone with vision who knows how to read a pro forma, button up his damned shirt, repair relationships, and listen. If we have winning seasons or make the playoffs, I don't see how that makes said person's job much easier in post-PSV Columbus.

We need someone who understands soccer's uniqueness in the US, but is, first and foremost, a business person who understands that relationships are everything, that customers need to know your product exists and feel an emotional connection to it or they'll never buy it. Which means I don't give a shit if this person ever kicked a ball. Ever.

Yes - he or she has to understand the game, know the different types of midfielders, get rel/pro, see how US college soccer is, uh, lacking, and [fill in more blanks]. But... has an A license? Is able to have technical discussions on why Cruyff was better than Van Basten, or why Deschamps was almost the dog in France '98? Can explain the finer points of the play of Wes Hart, Ali Gerba, or Nik Besagno? No, not at all.

YITBOS, russ and Bill Archer repped this.
  2. Groundd

Groundd Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else think we have worn yellow more since the announcement the Haslams might buy the team than we did all rest of the season.

Almost like we don’t need black for a funeral tour anymore.

MLSinCleveland and stanger repped this.
  3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You also have the money behind the Edwards minority investment coming from a very large, local development company. And we just happened to need to build a downtown stadium within the next few years.

Pardon the digression, but when i compare the setup we're moving into here in Columbus to what PSV has in Austin, I can't help but laugh. Seriously, good luck to all those soccer fans in Austin, because they've hitched their wagon to a real piece of work.

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not exactly breaking news at this point, but I wanted to go ahead and underscore this. I called a close friend of mine after the game tonight to commiserate after the loss. She’s someone who is been a fan for years, and has had close relationships with people behind the scenes of this club for a long time. Someone in the Academy system has confirmed to her that Dr. Edwards is in fact resigning. I don’t know if anybody has said anything official about this, but if she feels confident enough to tell me, I believe her.

If he’s doing this, he’s obviously confident that the deal is going to take place.

TracieB, JB-CBUS221 and WhiteHartShame repped this.
  5. SLSHOT01

SLSHOT01 Member+

Columbus
    United States
    Oct 26, 2017
    Edison, Ohio
    I've run into the good doctor at both of the last two home games and both times he has said not to worry it is just a matter of time.

I trust our Doc.

Tobias C, redi44crew, TracieB and 4 others repped this.
  6. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018

"We will be back." - Zack Steffen

7. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

New Crest is too busy, and a symbol of the previous ebil empire. Old Crest was great during it's day, but has not aged well. Old Crest has nothing to do with Soccer, so it's hard to make hard for Euro-snobs to accept it; but for me that was half of the appeal.

If I had a vote, I would refresh the crest.

the_rickler repped this.
  8. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    djtrinidad, Tobias C, Belgrano and 13 others repped this.
  9. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just watched the game on dvr. Sad end to the season, but glory remains with Columbus. Here’s to next season.

10. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so when do we think the deal gets finalized and announced?

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS Cup final at the earliest. Early to mid January at the latest.

12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't the latter end of that time frame have the Crew reporting to camp owned by Precourt?

13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Precourt hasn't been running anything for quite some time now.

14. nkycrew

nkycrew Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Northern Kentucky
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May have already been discussed (or maybe it’s just obvious the answer is just wait), but what are front office/ticket people doing today, this week, this month, etc? Last I checked they still weren’t selling new season tickets. Renewals were done, yes, but nothing on site or social media promoting season tickets.

15. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is probably an accurate timeframe.

JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  16. JB-CBUS221

JB-CBUS221 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Jul 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miki do you think that it might happen soon but the announcement get held?

I was thinking the deal is done and authorized the BoG by the MLS Cup in December but not announced until just before Christmas. They are going to wrap up Columbus on it's timeline. However, they are going to hold the announcement if they need to in order to try to give Austin a chance to succeed. If Austin signs the lease they will announce Columbus right away. I don't think Columbus is contingent on Austin but I think MLS is worried about what happens when Columbus is signed.

17. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they want Austin signed and sealed. Not that Columbus is contingent on Austin per se, but as others have noted, they probably think they lose a lot of leverage if they announce Columbus before the Austin deal is done.

WhiteHartShame, JB-CBUS221 and Belgrano repped this.
  18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It’s fantastic that I can’t plan my 2019 season because MLS needs leverage in Austin TX. The amount of abuse Crew fans have endured because MLS officials assumed no one cared is extreme. I hope Miki’s book exposes the truth. We all know the truth will hurt some egomaniacs in this saga.

19. Belgrano

Belgrano Member

Mar 5, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    i know... and I'm certain that into 2019, everyone is still going to be judging us as a market. "Oh, you 'savedthecrew' and still only have X number of season ticket holders? Where's the real support?"

We've already lost several months worth of normal season ticket drive time. And we're not going to have new ownership for weeks to come, at best. The damage done this year is STILL ONGOING, and is going to take a long time to fix.

JB-CBUS221 repped this.
  20. soundermiki

soundermiki Member+

May 24, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly the Kickstarter didn't work as I hoped. But I think I'm going to adjust and attempt to do it again with a more modest goal. Or perhaps take on a partner to mitigate costs.

shoplifter, CybrSlydr and zanycrew repped this.
  21. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I would have thought most leverage with Austin went away with the Haslam announcement. At that point, the Crew themselves were not supposed to move. Austin is supposed to wait for a team.

But, given that the term sheet was approved, and the city attorney can execute the agreement, is there really much need for this leverage? Austin seems to want this done regardless.

The current situation is disconcerting. Hopefully, everything will wait until the MLS BoG meeting, and we are less than 30 days from resolution.

22. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Psst. @Sirk

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One-time rumored buyer Mark Wahlberg has a food truck. It'll be at his dealership tomorrow (Tuesday) from 2-4pm.

3900 West Broad.

TyphonInc repped this.
  24. 614life

614life Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    soundermiki and TyphonInc repped this.
  25. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008