Saturday 24 Aug 2019

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Aug 24, 2019.

1. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha. The clip referenced Sahara. Which makes this completely BigSoccer related because Anschutz Film Group/Bristol Bay helped produce. I'm not here to debate the merits of the movie, I just thought it funny that McConaughey had another tangential connection to MLS.

Stuart95 repped this.
  2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know how I’d word it, but I would allow expressions of universal values like being against homophobia, and not allow political messages.

Which is part of how we got here. Some here think “Against Fascism” falls in the latter category. i’m More optimistic than that, first of all. And second of all, if it IS a political message, then we’re in an all hands on deck fight for America, in which case, well, all hands on deck. Supporters groups, sports league leadership, message board posters, Taylor Swift. Which side are you on, boys, which side are you on? No lukewarm water allowed.

tomásbernal, GreenRaver, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  3. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes, but it's not about what you think, it's not even about what Don thinks. MLS is an institution and they can't be vague about rules, those have to be written and enforced. You think it's hard, I think the same, so I don't trash the league for not being able to figure it out yet

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Or Melbourne City, or Yokohama, or RB Salzburg... As organizations they can tap into resources for scouting, coaching, marketing and more that isn't available to every other team in their respective leagues. That, to me, is like allowing some players in a chess tournament to have headsets for talking to coaches. It also portends a scenario where we're not cheering for a team or community as much as a company. Thanks but no thanks. Give me rules and policies that encourage parity, not a caste system.

Again, that's just me.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Whether or not an organization uses these resources wisely is up to the individuals. It's still an extra tool in the tool case, though.

B) This example suggests the model is working but to the benefit of the more senior teams. In this case RBL and RBS have resources their domestic peers do not. In this case RBNY is being potentially shortchanged because the owners aren't seeing the team as their priority, which can be another side effect of the approach.

SetPeace repped this.
  6. DCYC

DCYC Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I will never understand why City group and RB, having already a foot in NYC, don't spend more. You can't get bigger than NYC, but they seem busy chasing Europa League and not being relegated in Spain

GunnerJacket repped this.
  7. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    That Trump supporters (half the country) are racists, Nazis, fascists, xenophobes, homophobes, white supremacists, Russian-lovin' comrades, evil incarnate... and are to be purged by the good force Antifa.

8. DCYC

DCYC Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Damn, I totally missed that

sitruc repped this.
  9. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that wearing a red MAGA cap makes some people uncomfortable.

flange, Kejsare and NashSC repped this.
  10. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    This. Times 10.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You literally asked me what Garber should do. How could it NOT be about what I think? That makes no sense.
    The goalposts, they have been moved. The topic is banners at MLS games.

sitruc repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like some posters here would be helped by reading up on the Paradox of Tolerance and also considering that the idea of free speech originated with the thought that the government couldn't issue restrictions on speech, but MLS is not the government.

Now neither of those means the points being made in this thread are wrong but they should be considered when trying to decide what MLS can and can't do, and what MLS should and shouldn't do.

As somebody who for a long time was very much in the "either all or none" camp I've come around to understanding that intolerance can not be allowed to grow and if that means that its "unfair" that messages of tolerance and inclusiveness are allowed while messages of intolerance and hate are not allowed, so be it. Society largely as a whole has decided the ideas of hate and white supremacy are not acceptable, to the point that not even our extension of "free speech" beyond government laws to apply almost universally to all organizations doesn't extend to cover that. I'm fine with that. I still draw a sharp line on the government stopping that sorts of speech but I have no issues with private organizations saying "No, that tye of speech is not acceptable". I also understand that's not a level playing field and I'm ok with that.

13. DCYC

DCYC Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ok so answer the question, what EXACTLY should MLS allow/ disallow

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @JasonMa spells it out well. We aren’t required to tolerate intolerance. Society is not a suicide pact.

16. DCYC

DCYC Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If I go to a stadium with a Tshirst saying "MAGA", not more, not less. Should I be allowed?

NashSC repped this.
  17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was up to me? Yes.

JasonMa and DCYC repped this.
  18. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    Because of its association with white supremacist groups and violence.

19. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    The problem is what you consider free speech is not free for everyone. See, groups advocating violence against people because of ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, have their free speech paid for in the lives of those who it intimidates on the most basic level and kills, for example when a mass shooter who consumes it goes off on a killing spree or some drunk guys who consume it go off gay bashing.

Your version of free speech which includes hate speech is only free if you are a cisgender straight white male. Not everyone is and so that's why there are usually societally agreed upon limits based on civility and shunning intolerance.

sitruc and JasonMa repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto

21. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe this is exactly why MLS decided to prohibit the Iron Front symbol—because of its association with Antifa and violence.

22. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Violence?
    By whom... by triggered leftists trying to attack people wearing such clothing?

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it’s the left that’s triggered here. :rolleyes:

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with you here. The hat by itself doesn’t instill fear. 99% of people who wear MAGA hats don’t act like the guys in that photo. 99% don’t chant Jews will not replace us.

I dunno, maybe those hats have a different connotation in Cascadia.

Now, the Proud Boy shirts, that’s a whole ‘nother story.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imho, leave it to the clubs, the local authorities and the fans.