Sanneh: Bremen vs. Nurnberg, 9/10 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Sep 10, 2002.

1. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Sanneh is expected to start centrally for the Club. 3pm start.

2. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
  3. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Bremen just missed another PK, this time Popovic gave it up.

4. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Now at the half, 1-0 to Bremen.

2 mentions of Sanneh from the Kicker commentary, if anyone speaks German:

18. Werder durch die Mitte. Lisztes bleibt an Sanneh hängen, der dem Ungarn den Ball aber wieder auflegt. Aus 16 Metern mittlerer Position zieht der Mittelfeldspieler ab, doch über die Querstange.

7. Auf der Gegenseite Kopfstoß von Kos aus 14 Metern. Kein Problem für Borel. Im Gegenzug Micoud auf Daun, der allein auf Kampa zuläuft. Er schiebt den Ball aufs lange Eck, Kampa lenkt ihn an den Pfosten, Sanneh klärt.

5. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    18, Sanneh turns over, over the bar by the attacker.

7. Sanneh clears.

6. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    2nd half underway.

7. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Ciric draws it up, 1-1. 54'.

8. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    That's interesting - Kicker was at least 3 minutes behind the sportal.de site in adding that goal.

9. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Asleep at the wheel. *sigh* ;)

10. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    2-1. Micoud gets the go ahead goal for Bremen at 59 minutes.

11. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Not good for Nurnberg. Now 3-1 Bremen. Ailton gets his second in the 65th minute.

12. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    It gets worse. 4-1 Bremen. Ailton with the hat trick on 78 minutes.

13. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Sounds like the 4th goal was Sanneh's fault - Ailton outran him for a ball and got the goal.

Or something like that.

On the plus side, they took Ailton out after his 3rd goal, so perhaps Nurnberg won't give up any more today.

14. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Game over. 4-1 Bremen. 3 points from 4 matches - not a great start for Nurnberg.

15. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    As you already mentioned, the first impression of Sanneh was good, but it got worse afterwards. He rescued in the 7th by getting the rebound when Daun hit the post. In the second scene in the 18th Sanneh basically stopped Lisztes' attack, but the Hungarian had a better will and recovered the ball to shoot (over the bar). At the 2nd goal Sanneh was too late against Micoud, but I think that Sanneh just wanted to help out in this situation. Worst scene was the 4-1 when he lost a sprint duel against Ailton though he had a comfortable gap when he started to run for the ball.

All in all it didn't look too good, but this can be said about the whole Nürnberg roster. Nürnberg took the only chance they had, while they had to be lucky not to be back with three or more already at halftime. The 4-1 is indeed even flattering them.

Kicker writes about a horrible defence and that only goalie Kampa and - already with a gap - Müller played a good game for Nürnberg. Head coach Augenthaler: "We played as if we had our first game in the Bundesliga. Practically this didn't have anything to do with soccer. We didn't go into the duels and permanently were running behind our opponents."

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Months from now (maybe weeks, days), we'll all look back at some of the individual performances from the recent U.S. WC and say, "how the hell did that happen?"-g

Sanneh looks like he is reverting to proven form.....pretty inconsistent, big, athletic guy...in spurts can be very good, but more often than not mediocre or even abysmal (for top league level)..

Here's hoping Berthalter can show more...(and on a consistent pace)

17. Captain10

Captain10 Member

Jul 26, 2000
    Marietta, GA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! Did the clock strike 12 already?!?! :eek: ;)

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow you have amazing powers of being able to determine thnis without seeing him play the actual games. Or am I overestimating you?

19. BuffloSoldier

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Sanneh given a 6 by Kicker.

20. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    I read a remarkable interview with Nürnberg goalie Darius Kampa on their situation:

Q: How does a goalie feel, who was best player of his team despite getting four goals against?
    A: Unbelievable, this is incredible. It may not happen that I am the best one after getting four goals against. It may not happen that our opponents are having more than ten chances to score in every second game, that’s simply crazy.
    Q: What are the reasons?
    A: Some of us are running without any plan, the order isn’t fitting. And some don’t seem to care what’s happening.
    Q: What please?
    A: I can’t explain it differently. We are sitting in the locker room after a desolate first half and swear to ourselves that we are giving full power after the break, be aggressive – and in the first two minutes after the break I have two one on one situations with Daun. If we’re honest: if Werder hadn’t been that clumsy, they would have scored at least ten goals today.
    Q: Is this your frustration of the last 90 minutes or the whole season?
    A: As I just said – it’s happening every second game that our opponent has more than ten chances to score. And I’m fed up with it; I’m fed up with being in the goal. Long enough I was keeping my mouth shut, but now it’s enough.
    Q: Your coach Klaus Augenthaler said that the system isn’t the problem, it rather is the behaviour of the single players. What has to change?
    A: I see that very similar. It cannot be that we are getting one counter attack after the other in road games. Werder had incredibly many one on one situations, this may not happen that often.
    Q: And now Bayern is the next opponent. Do you have any hope to be successful?
    A: Yes, I do.
    Q: After this harsh analysis?
    A: This exactly is our chance. After this appearance everybody thinks we’re getting five at least – and after this debacle they’re right to think like that. But exactly this is the chance against Bayern. They are coming as the over-team to Nürnberg and after this appearance nobody trusts in us – that’s not the worst position.

21. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    in English, "looks like" means appears to (have)......in other words, one doesn't have to be present nor viewing something to use this verb combination correctly....just need some data in some form to make (an assumption)

Same concept in German, same terminology I believe "hoert sich als ob..."

Anyone viewing Sanneh since D.C. days knows his M.O....he hasn't changed that much as a player, despite increased competitive level in BL (apparent outlier WC aside)

22. nowhere

nowhere New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Can you get any worse than a six?

23. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    I think "Did not play" or "didn't even make the subs bench" would generally be worse. But 6 is the worst rating in the German system.

Personally, I think way too much is made of these kinds of ratings.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    <Can you get any worse than a 6>

You obviously aren't watching the 1st half of the DC-Metros game...i'd rate it an "8" so far....despite the bad turf, such stuff (the game) give US soccer a bad name...horrendous stuff...

Except for a brief Ray Hudson interview.....Ray Hudson, win or lose, is likely the best, most entertaining thing about MLS....

25. olafgb

olafgb New Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Germany
    Head coach Augenthaler was very angry with his team and especially with Sanneh. Yesterday evening in a discussion with Otmar Hitzfeld and 1860 head coach Peter Pacult he said that he didn’t speak with his team until Thursday after the loss in Bremen. On Sanneh he said that he was just standing in the central defence and had one horrible mistake after the other. He threatened to dress himself again as he still plays better than his team is currently doing (Augenthaler is 44, record holder with 6 national championships and World Champion 1990).