Sanchez's Future

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by tom12, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well i figured this was probablly the only Fulham message board on the net without atleast one thread stating that "Sanchez's time is up, he has to go!" or "Sack Sanchez!" or if i wanted to go really crazy i could find some from the message board on the official website, ok heres one: "It is safe to say now that there is no defending Sanchez" or the thread "New Manager" it seems, after a good look around the official board that it is already a foregone conclusion that Sanchez has very little chance of being around a month from now

However a look around the net at more official sites such as Skysports or BBC sports i have not seen a single article suggesting that Sanchez is, in fact in danger of losing his job

so i figured considering the amount of Fulham fans who post on Big Soccer, maybe we could have a reasonable discussion between level headed fans (yes i just said that on BS, crazy right?) on whether or not Sanchez should be given more time before being sacked or if its time to show him the door(as opposed to some of the ridiculous posting going on over at the official board)

So, what does everybody think?

2. tom12

tom12 Member

Jun 29, 2007
    BR, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok so i guess i'll give my opinion:

While i hate to call a manager a failure after such a short period i just can't help but thinking "couldn't Al-Fayed find someone whom could have done better with the team he intered + 25 million pounds to spend in the summer window"

obviously i don't know whether or not Sanchez will be able to turn things around with a new signing or two in January but i think he did a pretty awful job of spending 25 million pounds in the summer and has done pretty bad managing this team both as far as the teams style of play recently (long ball) and his player selection (well he did finally put Baird on the bench, but i believe he also picked up a knock, but Davis has been awful recently and he hasn't missed a minute while Smertin is nowhere to be seen, and don't even get me started on Kuqi)

Now to be fair, it is very easy to blame a manager when a team is struggling and he has had some bad luck with injuries, but that is part of the game and he clearly has not been able to adjust his tactics to turn things around. I was actually pretty impressed with Fulhams play towards the beginning of the season, they did look very motivated and were scoring goals, Baird was clearly a big liability on defense but regardless they looked like a time that could surprise some people, especially if they could keep up their play for the last 10 minutes of the game

However, Sanchez did not correct whatever problem was causing the the team to lose focus towards to end of the match, continued to make poor substitions toward the end of matches and apparently was completely oblivious as to what was going wrong for the team in his press confrences, being quoted as saying "well we'd be top of the table if a match only lasted 45 minutes" or "we've been played 80 minutes of good football, now if we can only figured out the last 10" or more recently "when the january window rolls around i look foward to improving the squad" or "well one of the other teams goals was offsides".... ok sanchez we get that this team has some good things going for them, but the match is not 45 minutes or 80 minutes, its 90. and you spent more money in one window than has ever been spent here and this team is exactly where it was last year (lower in fact if you go by points) why should we believe that throwing more money at colaship teams and players will improve this squad? and yes occasionally a line judge makes a mistake on an offsides call, get over it, it is not an excuse to give up and let them score 2 more.

Furthermore, after playing some pretty good soccer towards the beginning of the year once it appeared that since they were not getting favorable results he decided the best thing to do was to start a past his prime Colaship level target forward and try to play the long balls, a desperate tactic which clearly is the sign of a team that will be lucky to avoid relegation.

I'm not saying that unless Sanchez is sacked Fulham have no chance of avoiding relegation and that it must be done. However, i definitely think that its in the clubs best interest to cut their losses with Sanchez and find someone else before January so whenever they do bring a new coach in there will still be money left to go out and sign somebody who can help him turn things around before the season is lost. Just my 2 cents, how does everyone else feel about the situation?

3. Beazley17

Beazley17 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    South Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to be sacked, with all the money we spent we cant even complete 5 passes and its horrible. We need a nwe manager with better tactics and Sanchez cant cut it

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much what a lot of people here think too.

Imagine what Coleman could have done with that kind of money...

5. theleftside

theleftside Member

May 29, 2007
    Yuma AZ/Oxnard CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could have been in the same position we are now if we had spent less money with Coleman.
    Sanchez has not done anything with this team.

6. Mauther

Mauther New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Dallas
    I agree completely. There are some things a manager has no infleunce on. But when the team can't maintain their focus for the full 90, that's a managerial failure. The injuries, the ref calls, these are all excuses. He's shown he doesn't have the ability to lead a team. His signing of the Ireland player's should have been a warning that he had issues handling a team. He wanted "his boys" on the team so he didn't have to actually manage new players. My fear is that McBride will come back and score just enough goals to keep Fulham out of relegation and keep Sanchez in a job.

It heresy, I know, but long term it might be better for FFC if they get relegated, boot Sanchez, get a winning habit from a year in the Champions amd come back with a manager the team can trust. Hopefully they kept the receipt on some of the summer signings.

7. sublicon

sublicon Member

RBNY, Fulham FC
    United States
    May 28, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States