Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Vancouver Whitecaps FC (Saturday, 8/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Aug 24, 2019.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This up and down season is hard on the heart......

2. MtnGardener

MtnGardener Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 21, 2017
    I don't know about those who say the crowd wasn't big and wasn't loud. You must sit in a bad section? Our section was packed. Every seat in the rows around me was full, except for the ones belonging to some friends who couldn't make it at the last minute. And it was loud. Lots of cheering and hoarse voices by the end.

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sit at the halfway line on the team side, pretty close to Ned and Earthshaker. Maybe they have a different perspective on the crowd

4. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #29 scotto, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Nope. Still wrong. FIVE MLS records fell in the game. Wondo also increased his GWG record to 44.

EDIT: BTW, this may still be wrong. There may have actually been SIX MLS records broken in the game. I thought I read somewhere that the Quakes also set the record for the most shots in a half, but I can't find a reference to confirm.

don gagliardi repped this.
  5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I think two of them ended up next to Don so he might know. ;)

Beerking and don gagliardi repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looking at the crowd in the video, it seemed like the stadium was pretty packed....

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What happens in the luxury moat stays in the luxury moat. :)

8. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed a total disaster which is having us consider going back to Comcast!

Anyone watch on espn+ via vpn and is so which vpn?

9. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever an MLS game is on Fox or on Telemundo / Univision / Twitter, then that game never shows up on ESPN+.
    ESPN+ is not like the old MLS Live, where you could play back all the MLS games.
    Even if an MLS game is on ESPN+, it may be blacked out in your area, and as I noted, once the game is blacked out, it never becomes unblacked out, even weeks later.

2in10 repped this.
  10. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're just the definition of a whiny, fairweather fan.:)

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  11. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than usual, and anecdotally speaking, not everyone that is a season ticket holder shows up for every game, yet, they are counted as part of the attendance. Some of my longtime nearby section neighbors were not there Saturday, and that likely happens in every section.

12. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had this record breaking incredibly dominant performance and we are back to discussing the crowd size?o_O

2in10 repped this.
  13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think so. We need him to make more of those scything diagonal runs into the box, they really unbalance the defense. We saw the type of player those Peruvian NT Youtube videos hinted at.
    Yes, I agree with this as well. He is like our energizer bunny out there, and his distribution is improving as well.
    However, I still think the biggest stud on the team is Espinoza, the guy is a freakin' machine. How many runs did he make up and down that right flank? Imo his is our most irreplaceable player. I sure hope we are working on retaining his services.

markmcf8, don gagliardi and NedZ repped this.
  14. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's a shame Espinoza didn't end up getting a goal in that game. He certainly worked hard enough to earn one. I did notice that they weren't playing through him as much as one might have expected in the first half. Maybe that was to lure Vancouver away from defending him as closely so that he could be more effective later?

But man, he should probably have a few more goals to his name at this point. We also saw the return of more long-distance shots, which against a weaker keeper probably could have turned into another goal. That's something the Quakes had sort of stopped doing in the last few games, which I think made them easier to defend.

15. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not concerned. The last time we had a player with > 10 assists in a season was 2012 (Chavez). With seven games left, I have a feeling he will be adding to his current 11 assists and two goals...

markmcf8 repped this.
  16. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, certainly. I didn't mean to imply that I was concerned by his lack of scoring. What I meant was that he has been unlucky in that more of his attempts have not gone in, considering the quality of several of his shots. He's hit the post several times, for instance. It would just be nice if he'd been rewarded for those efforts with an additional couple goals.

bsman repped this.
  17. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The masses need to stay out of our hot tub; only invited guests.

markmcf8 and don gagliardi repped this.
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what the record for most posts/crossbars hit, without a goal, in a season is. We must be close.

QuakeAttack and sacrxy repped this.
  19. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #44 QuakeAttack, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Not really surprised that they won and was pleased they responded to giving up the early goal. This is a proud team and I was expecting a response after the LAFC game. I must have missed the announcement, but noticed that Alymeda wasn't on the side line.

Judson was my MOTM as the first goal (on a nice build up from the team) was crucial and they dominated the remainder of the game. Should have 1 to 2 more goals. While I like the team has the green light on shooting, I wish the shots were a little better.

Lopez had his best game as a Quake. However, our defense was still average and we were lucky that Vancouver screwed up a counterattack with an offside in the first half. Passing was better from the defense, but they had little pressure from Vancouver.

My wife had to eat her words on Rios sucking after the LAFC game. Nice game and clinical finish. Neither Shea or Fiero did much off the bench.

It's going to be fun run to the end of the season. Go Quakes!

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Espinoza recently had a baby. He's on the top of the world. No reason to feel sorry for him. :)

MtnGardener repped this.
  21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I resemble that remark

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, somebody asked, so I gave my viewpoint. Isn’t that what fans are for? If ppl only want rose colored views than they can ask Dangerfield

Beerking repped this.
  23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    I am going back to Comcast, starting September 1st, so join us in Freedom from the dish!! :D

24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    He really kept his figure. :D

markmcf8, 2in10 and don gagliardi repped this.
  25. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Earthshaker is kind of our resident sarcastic smartass, sort of like the pesky kid in grade school that doesn't know how far is too far. ;)

Earthshaker repped this.