San Jose Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC U.S. Open Cup (Wed., 6/28) pre/in/postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 24, 2017.

1. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's the Club. And it's only the Club that will allow the Quakes to succeed. If the Club is vital, wins and losses won't matter, just like they simply don't matter in Portland. The Timbers are an expression of that community, whose residents attend games to commune with their friends and neighbors, first and foremost, not to watch soccer. Of course Silicon Valley cannot understand the concept. But the Valley of Heart's Delight did.

chris thebassplayer and DotMPP repped this.
  2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    While position in the table probably doesn't matter all that much if they are winning at home, championships can matter (even if they didn't matter all that much after 2001 and 2003). The combination of a championship team, the new venue, presumably more exciting soccer, etc. could in fact move the needle.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    For those who may not have seen it:

sacrxy and Goodsport repped this.
  4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Jazzy, the weak attendance after winning a MLS Cup at Spartan was due to the club moving situation. It was constant news that the team may be shut down or relocated. Hard to get behind a team in that situation. Watch what happens to Oakland Raider attendance now that they are moving to Las Vegas.

bobby_guzman, Goodsport and bsman repped this.
  5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What about the weak attendance in 2002 after winning the 2001 MLS Cup?

6. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Figures don't bear that up:

Avg Attendance
    2001 9,635
    2002 11,150

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance

Also note that league-wide season attendance was down in 2002 from 2001, likely due to the dot-com bubble burst and resultant economic downturn.

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Even though there was a bump from year-to-year, average attendance of 11,150 is weak.

8. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I'm willing to bet that the sparse amenities at the aptly-named "Spartan" Stadium had something to do with that. As much as a lot of us loved Spartan, it really was terribly sub-optimal for any professional sport, especially (with its narrow pitch) soccer.

Bajoro and bobby_guzman repped this.
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Spartan Stadium had spare amenities in the 1970s, too. That didn't stop people from attending. Similarly, in Portland, a Depression-era stadium doesn't suppress support. Works at LaBombonera, too, because Boca has a sense of community.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The 1970s comparison is inapt, because that was really prior to the advent of modern stadium with modern amenities. Also, Portland's situation is different in many respects: No large metropolitan area with many competing diversions and the stadium is smack dab in the middle of the urban center, conveniently located next to public transportation and in the midst of a hip location, rather than the grittier environs of Spartan. It's not apples and apples IMO.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland reportedly has a over 100 microbreweries, along with a few (so I'm told) strip clubs, so I would say there are competing diversions. :)

Portland's stadium location is, frankly, less urban than Houston's and not particularly hip.

Most of all, Timbers fans were fervent about USL and MLS teams before ever earning any hardware. When John Spencer was their head coach, doing a pale imitation of Dom Kinnear with lesser results, they filled the stadium. It's not about the soccer, and it's sure as hell not about the amenities.

12. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #62 JazzyJ, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Attendance figures in those days were very sketchy, and you could game it by having a doubleheader with some big Euro team or a "youth soccer game" where you fill Spartan with 30k via youth soccer deals.

Anyway, the game that sticks in my craw is the 1st home game in 2004, with ring ceremony and the whole bit, after the incredible championship run. I don't remember the attendance but IIRC it was well below 10k. May have even been in the 6k's. It was a day game, but still, the fans couldn't bother to show up and honor the champions? I don't think talks of relocation were that much of a factor, and I don't even know how many people were aware of that, other than hardcore fans.

xbhaskarx and DotMPP repped this.
  13. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am really looking forward to attend the game tonight. There is a sense of a something new, and I also want to see how my team and the players approaching it. Personally it feels like going to the home opening game of the season. Well, may be the pre-season game since it is Open Cup and not all starters will play?

sacrxy, Beerking, due time and 1 other person repped this.
  14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Can't wait! Come on You Quakes!

Beerking repped this.
  15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Hoping Sac Republic lay a serious hurt on the filth tonight!! GO SAC!

AND GO QUAKES!!!

16. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll go with a 3 back and Yueill right smack dab in the middle of a 4 or 5 man midfield.

Colvey (if back) and Lima as wingbacks...Tommy either under the forwards or all the way up.

Let's see what you got Leitchy...hopefully we see a wide open thriller...

Go Quakes!

xbhaskarx and Beerking repped this.
  17. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    starting 11: Tarbell, Colvey, Lima, Sarkodie, Imperiale, TT, Yueill, Salinas, Godoy, Hyka, Wondo

18. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Now, THAT is a lineup.

19. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Is Kofi at center back?

20. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe so...CB will be Imperiale. This should be a 3-5-2 with Lima and Sarkodie as fullbacks, Colvey and Salinas as wingbacks, but we'll see at kickoff.

21. TigersFIMA

TigersFIMA Member

Aug 27, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS site showing as a 3-5-2 as well.

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are the refs tonight? I see Joe Dickerson is 4O

23. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    minus Sarkodie...:D

24. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it's still a lineup that's completely different than anything Dom would have done....and we do have to play LA in a few days.

Beerking repped this.
  25. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Greened-out flag football lines on the field. :eek:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G