Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake (Saturday, 6/24) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 25, 2017.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think Dom cared which forward came off after Lima's red as at that point he was just trying to preserve the win. Their goal was scored at the very end and was a non factor. Hats off to the game plan and to great individual performances. It's looking like it will be tough getting rid of any of those guys after last nights game. Good job Dom for bringing the best out of the players! Maybe he is starting to feel the heat?

2. no pain

no pain Member

Sep 20, 2005
    I'm glad they played better & won the game. But I think the AR completely blew it on Hyka's offsides call. It sure seemed to me that he was a few yards behind the defense, but I could be wrong. I wish I could see a replay of this.

3. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urena is "Jordon" like & needs to be the focal point of the team. Jordon often bricked for the entire game but guess who had the ball in his hands during crunch time?

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Wow...don't know what to say...I'm speechless. Wrong in so many ways.

And if you can't even spell "Jordan" right, disqualified!! :)

SoccerMan94043 and Earthshaker repped this.
  5. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice win but we should be expected to beat RSL at home especially with how they lined up last night. I wouldn't go drawing any conclusions about guys like imperiale, cato, ceren, urena, or godoy on this one performance. People risk making sample size mistake, like when people were praising sarkodie earlier this year after his one halfway decent game. It was a mirage and he went back to being trash the rest of the season.

Beerking repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL has lost 11 games already this season, including by the following scorelines:
    2-0, 4-2, 1-3, 3-0, 0-3, 4-0, 5-1, 6-2
    This was pretty much only their third "non-embarrassing" loss: 1-2, 1-0, and now 2-1

7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Way to play games with statistics. RSL came into the Quakes game on a winning streak. They defeated Minnesota United last weekend, 1-0. (Minnesota beat the Portland Timbers a few days later, midweek, so they're in better form than you think.) RSL has also beaten NYCFC and Colorado, two teams the Quakes couldn't handle. RSL is a professional soccer team, a win is a win, and the standings are a zero-sum game. All those 10 other losses by RSL involve three points in the standings for other MLS teams (many in the Western Conference), whose playoff chances will be determined in part by those wins. San Jose gets the same consideration.

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Also, we should not be deluded with the idea that we're "back in the playoffs!". We are still below the line by PPG. OTOH only 0.12 points off of 3rd place. So it is really packed in the middle - even more parity than the usual parity.

9. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #59 xbhaskarx, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Good point, obviously cherry picking "X team beat Y team who once beat Z team" is a lot more useful...

Minnesota are not very good, certainly not consistently so. Sure they beat Portland, who are decent, but Portland has 2 wins 5 losses in their last 9 games, so clearly Minnesota caught them at the right time. Yes NYCFC are a good team, RSL beating them is impressive... Although what exactly are we supposed to take away from that as Quakes fans? Colorado are crap, the fact that they managed to beat the Quakes says more about the latter.

You can go however many degrees away from RSL as you want (eventually you'll be going in circles as it's a 22 team league where every team plays each other, and even the worst teams sometimes beat the best teams given the parity), but the bottom line is the Quakes played RSL at home and it was a 2-1 victory. That matchup should be an expected win for any team that's not utterly terrible, given that RSL are in last place in the west in PPG with just 17 points in 18 games, a league worst -20 goal differential, and a 1-8-1 record on the road.

All I'm saying is it was a good opportunity for a blowout win, as plenty of other teams have done to RSL this season (with scorelines like 3-0, 0-3, 4-0, 5-1, 6-2). Goal differential matters, and the Quakes are still at -3. It would be nice to really beat up on opposing teams once in a while, 1) fans like to watch their team crush the opposition and 2) fans like to see lots of goals. That matters when the Quakes haven't made the playoffs since 2012 and Avaya Stadium looks half empty at most games. The Quakes still only have one multi-goal win in the last calendar year (3-0 over Portland on May 6, their previous one was 3-1 over Houston on May 11, 2016).

alexiskool1991 and Cuzinatti10 repped this.
  10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    How true, and that's why with a .500 record the Quakes remain in the thick of the playoff race and their chances of achieving it are as good as virtually any other team's right now.

SeaJayBee repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
  13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is what I was saying earlier. Definitely my impression in real time is that he was streaking up from behind defenders to get the ball. My son watched the replay and it maddingly shows nothing -- the camera is close up on Muma and doesn't pull back to show the larger field until Hyka is on the ball.

14. Cuzinatti10

Cuzinatti10 Member

Nov 9, 2006
  15. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Replay showed it was a clear offside.

bsman repped this.
  16. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who was pulling the strings in last nights game?

17. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    xbhaskarx and bobby_guzman repped this.
  18. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha excuse my poor spelling

IMG_2468.jpg

19. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hopefully you've learned your lesson not to root for losses. The Quakes don't always fire their coach, but when they do, it's after a win. :)

tenfourteen repped this.
  20. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow 10 whole minutes? You can spend that much just hitting traffic lights wrong.

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My rep Alyssa got back to me on Sunday and said it was a planned change! So let's keep up the pressure on them to stop doing that. Otherwise, drivers will all try to exit from the second row of the Platinum lot, and we will get backed up in the lot. I have hardly seen anyone turn left onto Coleman coming out of Earthquakes Way.

22. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not making excuses for Lima, but didn't it seem he was wearing the wrong cleats? Just on the highlight package I see him slipping on his plant food several times,

23. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    so they decide to change it without notice after 3 years? I am not surprised. I'll definitely keep emailing and in the meantime, I guess I'll park elsewhere.

Some of us want to get home as soon as we can. Mj mentioned her husband needed to get up at 3am. On Thursday, I wake up at 4am to go to work. It was an unannounced change after 3 years. It makes no sense to force more traffic down that way and it definitely adds a good distance around the airport to get back on 880S.

24. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, another dumb decision. I always try to get into that left lane when leaving since it always more open than than the right lane. Saturday I luckily took the right lane so didn't get forced to turn left on Coleman. And you're right, hardly anyone turns left on Coleman.

tenfourteen repped this.
  25. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I enjoyed the game, I'm not getting too excited about it. We had too many opportunities not to score at least one more goal.

This team has been consistently inconsistent. Ceren was my MOTM. Monster game from him.

Attack
    Urena was making great runs and was unfortunately not to score off the post in the first half and was fortunate to score in the second half on a really poor angle (Nick R screwed up and backed into the post). Wondo seemed to out of synch and getting in the way a lot. I don't like seeming him so deep.

Midfield
    Good game across the whole midfield. Hoesen had a goal and assist. Godoy was all over the field. Liked Hyka's spacing and attacking more in the middle.

Defense
    Both centerbacks were solid and Bingham's distribution was better. Both outside backs had good and bad moments. Hopefully, Lima learned a lesson on two stupid plays.