Post-match: San Jose Earthquakes - Minnesota United FC (Saturday, 3/9) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Mar 9, 2019.

1. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to need to be patient and give Matias time. He didn't get any of his top targets in this transfer window. Stat on twitter today that divided all the DP's in the league into 3 tiers... the only teams without a top tier DP aka "true DP" are the quakes and columbus. Ownership needs to back Matias and let him get a true DP.

2. bobby_guzman

bobby_guzman Member+

Oct 24, 2014
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Joel Soria's interview with Almeyda just now, I believe we can now safely say that Almeyda was definitely handcuffed by ownership. At this point I'm not sure if he's even into this 'project' anymore...

2in10 and don gagliardi repped this.
  3. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Postgame comments by Danielle Slaton were about the Minnesota central midfield outplaying the Quake midfield. Specifically she named Godoy and said that Godoy, Vako, and Magnus have all had a chance at the offensive mid position and none have made it work. In the context of Dangerfield saying the team needed two or three more players, I think she was pointing out that the offensive mid spot needs to be filled from the outside this summer.

mjlee22, nivla and bobby_guzman repped this.
  4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the subbing of TT for Lima late is planned. I think that Lima knows why it's happening too.

BUT, if TT came on for either Godoy or Magnus, we would instantly be much better. Lima is one of our better players, so keeping him on means that we don't lose his quality, taking Godoy or Magus off the pitch improves our skill levels immeditately.

We have to hope that Matias comes to his senses soon and benches Magnus or Godoy in favor of TT.

Given that our next several opponents are really tough, I think we're looking at losing at least four of the next six. Very narrow chance that we tie or beat Houscum and or shittle. We could very easily open 0-0-8 or even 0-0-9. The first game on the schedule where I think that we "might" win, is week ten versus Cinny, in our house.

We're in deep doo doo already.

So very, very disappointed, and completely unsurprised.
    We suck!!

- Mark

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Lima has lost his man and that lead to goals in both games. I think he also got shredded in the Reno preseason game. It just seems like he doesn’t really get man to man marking and doesn’t transition fast enough when the Quakes lose possession. At least TT has been more consistent in his 30 minute appearances.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Or three.

7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    everyone associated with the San Jose Earthquakes is and always has been "handcuffed by ownership"...since 2008. Handcuffed by ownership is the whole story of the Fisher-era Quakes condensed into three succinct words.

bobby_guzman and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    So, what I’m hearing is we just need two or three Mexican DPs and TT in the starting 11 and *boom* the era of crap fisherball is over?

why do I not have a great feeling about this?

9. nihon2000

nihon2000 Member

Oct 14, 2008
    San Jose
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TT is showing his quality as right wing back. I’ve advocated that TT needs to play fullback in the past in order to get more PT. I’m glad to see that we have a coach that has a reasonable Dev plan for TT; though it may be 2-3 years too late.

10. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had the same concern about his natural defensive abilities, but to be fair to Nick, I'm not sure which goal you're referring to in the Minnesota game. The first goal was the PK; the second was a brilliant shot from the left side of our defense; and the third goal snuck inside the post on Nick's side, but the ball came from our left, and deflected off Cummings.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lima was substituted well prior to the third goal.

S.J. Jim repped this.
  12. chris thebassplayer

Feb 18, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It is interesting, Lima getting subbed early, but he's not the issue with the D. There are so many other issues...mainly our midfield starters can't hang with man to man marking...Judson is fairly good, but the rest are really poor. Couple that with Slow CBs who can't mark well 1 v 1. Guys are getting beat 1 v1 all over and I don't exactly know what Almeyda has in place to cover for that. What kind of defensive rotation he has to cover for the guy getting skinned. Normally, the next closest defender would pull off his man mark to cover. This is the area that is killing us now...a lack of awareness and ability to cover the loose ends. Almeyda doesn't have solid two way players with defensive skills to play his system. He either gets those players or adapts to a more defensive approach until they arrive....otherwise he'll dig a massive season killing hole.

We're only two games in with brutal games ahead...he'll need to go full Kinnear to keep things in check until he gets a couple players...his current midfield is dysfunctional...he needs to change it up asap to at least stay in games.

Really sucks to be in this position...Ownership did give Fioranelli money...and he spent it unwisely and shackled us. We desperately need players...but I can understand some reluctance to give more money to the GM who was responsible for the current situation. They will ultimately need to do that. Without better players this thing is flat out doomed...

13. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    While I agree that better players are always a great option, Almeyda seems to love his starting 11 as he has used them for 5 games now. I don't really feel like he is pushing the limits on what his current players can do and just keep playing the same old 11.

I assume he is not interested in winning today which is a great way for him to lose team confidence.

JazzyJ repped this.
  14. S.J. Jim

S.J. Jim Member+

Jun 11, 2006
    S.J.
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, of course. After reviewing the "highlights" on the MLS site, I see that Nick was involved in the buildup to the second goal (I had forgotten that he was shifted over to our left during that sequence). That was the play where it looked like he may have been fouled as he tried to stop the counter attack. Or, maybe he should have done better on that. Still unclear, but I can see now what Jeff was probably referring to.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ownership hired, and has retained, the GM you suggest it is reluctant to give more money to. Ownership either trusts him or it doesn't. Hiding behind the GM doesn't absolve ownership from spending whatever it will take in order to compete, regardless whether money was wasted in the past or whose fault that may have been.

16. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but would you rather stick with our current 11?

Boysinblue and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, the sequence on the left where he fell down.

bobby_guzman repped this.
  18. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018
    True, league 1 players would fetch 6-8 million.

League 2, should have been a better example of a league where you can find a 1m $ signing that will make him look like a child. But I take it you're a Vako fan? He's not that good, at all.

19. Cheez-it

Cheez-it Member

May 20, 2018
    Because Mexican/South American players are THE BEST in the world???

Doesn't help that when we go for European talent, it's always from some trash league like where Magnus came from.

Are we unable to get players on loan from lower La Liga/PL/Bund. sides or something? I think we've tried the "good" Latin player thing, it failed. Maybe let's try the "good" European players for once? Or, ya know, scout for already great players in the U.S? But what do I know.

*I'd even settle for some u-20's Arsenal/City/Chelsea/Barca/Madrid players, pretty sure they'd mop up the league, get experience, and gel right into their home league life after all is said and done.

20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Honestly, I was being a little sarcastic, we need help all over the field. Mexican DP(s) might be fine (I doubt we see one) but I really don’t care where they come from if they can breathe some new life into our team. I’d rather l see Flo starting over Cummings, as for attacking players, we just don’t have good options. Vako is decent but not a DP for me, Wondo or Hoesen, maybe a slight edge to Hoesen subbing in Wondo...but not TT, maybe as a sub, not as a starter. I realize people think he’s on the brink of a breakout season, l’m not convinced.

21. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I remember reading someplace recently that our scouting operation was woefully inadequate as well. we should be looking everywhere. if we had a good GM he would be familiar with the global market and would be scouting all over.

22. DasMoots

DasMoots Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Real owner or not Jesse is lost...

bobby_guzman and markmcf8 repped this.
  23. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what transfermarkt has to say about that.

The League 2 average market value is $141k and the most "valuable" player is Russell Martin and $1.71m.

The average market value for League 1 players is $281k. The most "valuable" player in League 1 is Cameron Bothwick-Jackson at $3.42m.

In the English Championship, the average market value is 2m pounds, with Jack Grealish the most valuable at 20M pounds.

And in the Premier League the average market value is 17.10m pounds.

24. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that's interesting. Do you think Almeyda is the kind of guy who would be open to Danielle's advice?

25. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw that graph and I didn't understand why I think it was Sam Stejskal said that Quakes had no "true DP". What was his definition of True DP, one that you can't buy down with TAM?